tah jan 21, ovaries,cervix everything.what to expect? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

tah jan 21, ovaries,cervix everything.what to expect? tah jan 21, ovaries,cervix everything.what to expect?

Unread 01-17-2002, 09:29 AM
tah jan 21, ovaries,cervix everything.what to expect?

Hi all,
I'm new here as of 5 minutes ago. I am going for the whole abdominal enchillada next monday. I have 4 plum size fibroids in the uterous and a couple systs on the ovaries. I have been putting off this surgery since july. The time has come. I have heard and read so many things (probably not good idea) but What I am concerned about is that I will be immediatly given HRT. Does anyone know the major side effects. I had such awful pms that I am hoping things will change. But I have heard it's worse ( mood swings, flashes etc..) I hope that's wrong. I am such an active person and am very bummed about the recovery time. 6 weeks seems to be the magic number. Is that true? And one more thing how painful is it? i have a high tolerence to pain but!!
I am also having an epideral not general, it sould help without the gag-gaa sick feeling after.
If anyone would care to e-me back I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you so much.

chefBOO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2002, 10:22 AM

Hi Chef Boo!

It might be a good idea to post your concerns about HRT in the Hormone Jungle Messages board. The wonderful HS's have more experience with the hormones there and can address your concerns better.

Each one of us is different. It may help to read other postings on these message boards and the drop-down menus on the home page.

Six weeks' recovery is the initial recovery time set by doctors. It may take up to one year to recover fully. But if your abdomen gets numb by the incision, then it may take up to a year for the numbness to go away. Otherwise, consider that as permanent. But I would rather live with the numbness for the rest of my life than the experiences I had prior to my surgery.

Best thing to do is to listen to your doctor's advice.

Take care!
Unread 01-17-2002, 10:26 AM

Hi chef!

Welcome To Hyster Sisters!

To answer your questions, first, you may be pleasantly surprised at the effects of HRT! Many women who begin HRT immediately following this surgery have no problem. Others may take a while to get just the right HRT 'formula' to achieve hormonal balance. Each prescription normally comes with an insert that explains any side effects that have been credibly reported.

Second, Complete healing after this surgery can take up to a full year. Initial recovery is typically between 6 to 8 weeks. No magic. Just fact. Without getting too graphic, this is MAJOR surgery - you are cut open and organs are moved around and cut and sewn back together. During recovery, most women have some kind of pain management for the first week or so, such as percoset. The easier you take it on yourself during the first few weeks, the better off you will be pain-wise as well as overall healing-wise.

There have been ladies who could not sit still for long, rushed their recoveries, and ended up regretting it. It's not easy for us to just take it slow and participate in our recovery, but this would be a very important time to try really hard to do so. It's downtime we may not be used to, but in order to heal properly, we must reprogram ourselves to 'chill' for a while, if you will.

It's important to follow DR's instructions to the letter, no matter how eager we are to return to certain activities. DR does know best, based on your surgery.

Best wishes to you as you begin this journey. Please know that we are here for you for support! Visit the chat room, too, for real-time conversation about hysterectomy. Lots of support there, too.

Take care!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2002, 11:10 AM

I am also having a TAH/BSO and cladder burch on Jan 21. I am 28. I had my pre op yesterday. WOW! I have a great Dr. He said no to worry too much about the HRT because, we will keep wprking until we get it right. I asked hoe do we KNOW its right. He said I will ask you how your feeling taking them, then I will ask your Hubby how you doing on them.Hubby liked that idea..lol
He is putting me in the night before, so I can get "seetled"" in while I still feel ok. then I will have some sleepy juice, hopefully, I will sleep until time to go in. He said he hates to have his pts wake up at 4am to be there by 6am, starving and worried the whole time.
Anyway. Monday, He told me to expect to be groggy, but not in too much pain. I will have my legs in a binder toat opens and closes to keep the blood clots away, I will also have a tummy binder. Tuesday, I will be told to get up and move around some.
He said that I will have the pump. but if I ever get to huring too much TELL THE NURSE!! there is noe reason for it.
Good luck my 21st sister..We will both be ok, put it in the Lords hands!
Unread 01-17-2002, 12:51 PM

I had this surger on 12/31 so I'm home about 2 weeks, I had those things on my legs when I woke up too. It keeps you from having blood clots. You won't feel much pain IF you take the pain relievers. Do not wait until it hurts, keep on top of it with the pump or calling the nurse.

My doctor shot "marcaine" (spelling?) in throughout the stitches. It is a very long lasting "number", like the novacaine you get when you go to the dentist. Anyway, this stuff lasts 18-20 hours so the incision doesn't hurt. Ask your doc if he uses that stuff. He sounds modern so maybe he does.

You'll do fine and probably feel better afterwards.

Good Luck
dlr

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register