7 days to go and nightmares | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

7 days to go and nightmares 7 days to go and nightmares

Unread 04-03-2001, 05:44 AM
7 days to go and nightmares

Hi Sisters!
Well, I finally came to terms with the hysterectomy and estrogen replacement, etc and now I'm having nightmares!

Really Bizarre and Morbid nightmares!
I told DH about my last one and it even frightened him!
I hope you don't mind me telling you. Am I the only one?

I dreamt night before last that my father (who passed away 3 years ago) and I were at a family funeral..he ended up being the deceased and climbed into the coffin. His heart was still beating so I ran to it and screamed that they couldn't bury him...he was still alive! I jumped into it to hold open the lid and wouldn't let them close it.

It seems lately all I've been doing lately is dream about dead relatives. Has anyone else had this happen?

I have one week to go and hope I can beat off these bad dreams. I want a positive outlook when they wheel me into OR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2001, 06:30 AM
Sometimes A Cigar is Just A Cigar

I'm no Sigmund Freud here, but it sounds like your brain is helping you deal with your fear in a pretty healthy way. Sure, nightmares are very disturbing, but you are processing your anxiety into images that you can deal with. The fear of the unknown, fear of death, all of this is rumbling around in there and this is just how it comes out. I hope you can get some good sleep...try not to let this icky images throw you.

It happens to all of us, I think. Wishing you sweet dreams!

Karen
Unread 04-03-2001, 07:00 AM
From Another 4/10 LIW

Heavens! Thank goodness I'm not having those kinds of nightmares! I feel guilty sleeping as well as I am. I guess because I've already been through major abdominal surgery, and I've already been through menopause, I'm not dreading it as much as you are. Just relax. Everything will turn out fine. You'll feel so much better. Think of it as having all the bad stuff removed from your body and replaced with happy stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2001, 08:44 AM

I have not been able to sleep, and when I do it's restless, and I am fighting "someone". I think we all deal with the stress of this differently, as this is a very traumatic event coming up for me also. I take warm baths before bed, and is is seeming to help a little. You're in my prayers for peaceful sleep...
Unread 04-03-2001, 04:30 PM

Seems to me that if you are stressed relative to surgery that the stress would be manifested by stressful dreams, ergo this is all normal. That will be $250.00.

Myself, I take over-the-counter Tylenol PM's and sleep well.

Good Luck!
Miranda
Unread 04-04-2001, 09:48 AM
Oh Boy

I had to tell you all!
The next night after I posted this I dreamt my husband and I were having sex all night! Gee will I ever sleep?
I'm telling you....here it is Wednesday afternoon.
I guess that's another one of my subconscious worries..the sex thing right?
Unread 04-04-2001, 10:16 AM

I understand!! My mom died a few years ago of ovarian cancer and in my dream I was asking her questions, trying to compare her pain to mine now. I have complex ovarian cysts AND endo and my surgery is about 2 weeks away. The horrible part of the dream was that my mom looked dead, but I seemed to have so much in common with her. I think you ladies are right who suggested that our minds are trying to deal with some fear. Isn't it bizarre to think that our minds made up these night-time movies?

Bonnie
Unread 04-04-2001, 10:26 AM
wow...that's a doozy!

Dear Susan,
My dad used to keep a journal of weird dreams he had...thought some of them might make a good movie one day...maybe you should consider that! The one you describe would qualify, I think!

Seriously, I am sure you are working out your anxiety in a healthy way, even though it doesn't sound like any fun at all! As the ladies often say, waiting is the hardest part!

My best to you!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register