This surgery was the worst thing to ever happen..... - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

This surgery was the worst thing to ever happen..... This surgery was the worst thing to ever happen.....

Unread 04-15-2005, 04:14 PM
This surgery was the worst thing to ever happen.....

I hate to see all the replies but I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I have a life and I want it back.....full force. I'm not the type to sit around and feel sorry for myself. Just posting this was hard..I had to admit to myself that I'm not me. I've got a dh, kids, friends, and a million other reasons that I NEED to be up and going. Try telling your 3yo that you can't do something cause you are still too sore from 3 months ago. It just doesn't work. Everyone thinks I am (and should be) 100%. I'm not. I'm a heck of a long ways from it. Have I mentioned I hate asking for help? Yesterday my grandmother came to stay for a few weeks. I couldn't even lift her wheelchair and get it in my van. Before I never even thought about it. My 13yo is the only one who somewhat realizes how far I am from being me. I really do hope things get better. The thought of it taking a year as some have said is just not acceptable though. By then I'll have one almost ready to move out and my baby will be walking. I also have a busy summer coming up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2005, 05:53 PM

WOW! This just amazes me. I feel for you that hurt and are still in so much pain. I haven't had sex yet, and I can't say what it will be like. I do know the dr. told me yesterday for my husband to take it easy the first time, and not go to deep the first time. And also use KY Gel.

Can I ask some of you who regrett having this done did you get a 2nd. opinon? When my GYN told me this was the next step we would have to take I was scared to death. I asked her if I could see another OBGYN, She thought it was a great idea as well. His reply was you have have tried everything for the past year. Yes this is your only route now.

If I still hurt so badly I would go back and see if maybe it can be fixed. Also be honest with your DH. We was talking last night and mine said honey if you don't want to wait till 8 weeks then it's fine with me. But heck I'm going to give him a break and take the plunge on my 6 week mark.

Hope all of you will feel better soon!!!
Unread 04-15-2005, 06:03 PM
(Long) This Surgery was the worst thing to ever happen

I have to agree with those sisters who feel that having a hysterectomy was the worst thing to ever happen to them. Having a laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy(LSH) which was totally botched in October 2004 and a cervical hemorrhage about three weeks later was, by far, the the WORST thing to ever happen to me (I really should say the worst thing that was ever done to me, it didn't just "happen"). I've had so many complications that I don't know where to turn for help. None of these possible risks were ever mentined to me pre op. I now know that I didn't really need to have a hysterectomy. I had fibroids, but I did not have bleeding. Also, I was post menopausal. I was told that I should have the procedure because fibroids might put me at risk for gynecologic cancer. I now know that is not true. I was also told that I would "just feel so much better with my uterus and ovaries gone." I believe both my referring gyn and the surgeoon are completely unethical. The total cost for my LSH was $47,000 (yes, really) and the surgery to try to stop the hemorrhage was $27,000. I have good insurance and I feel certain that if I hadn't been well insured, no surgery would have been performed on me. It's all about money. In the United States, over 600,000 women a year have hysterectomies. Doctors in US perform more hysterectomies than any other country in the world. If I sound angry, sad, and disillusioned, I am. My life had been ruined by this.
Westcoast
Unread 04-15-2005, 06:27 PM
sympathy to all of you

I send all the 's and sympathy I can to all of you ladies going through this.

It is so difficult because you trust and respect your physicians and expect only the best from everyone.

At least you have wonderful Hystersisters here that can know what you are talking about and give you and sympathy.

When I first had surgery, I really used the Hystersisters Journaling. It helped me talk about my days of recovery and I got to read others as well. It really made this difficult time easier.

I hope you each find relief. My gyn told me that sex would be painful at first, but to use lots of lubrication (he recommended Astoglide), and to just keep working on it-it needed to be used to stretch back out. And it does stretch out again. It was very painful for me due to the repairs he had to do. It took a few months, and lots of astroglide. At 10 months post op all of that is gone. It doesn't hurt, it actually feels good, I don't protect my abdomen anymore either.

If you are not happy with your doc, please find another one. I went shopping for a gyn and spent a lot of $$ and time-went to 3 of them before I found the one I wanted. I have to drive 2 hours to see him, but at least he listens, and knows what he is doing.

Unread 04-15-2005, 07:16 PM

I'm kind of relieved to read your post -- sometimes I feel like the only person in the world who has had an emergency hysterectomy.

I went into the hospital to have twins. I came out with two lovely, healthy baby boys but minus my uterus (which I did not expect). I had an emergency C-section for baby B and I hemorrhaged BADLY because my uterus wouldn't contract.

They tried several less extreme measures to stop the bleeding, but in the end they had to ask my husband for permission to do the hyst. (I was either still knocked out or in hypovolemic shock, I don't know which.) I still developed a clotting problem and required numerous transfusions.

I'm still trying to stop second-guessing myself, my husband, my OB, the hospital, etc. etc.

Honestly, I didn't feel better until about 6 months post op. Don't know if that makes you feel any better. I spent months with an aching, puffy lower abdomen and I didn't feel like I wanted to do anything...but with two babies you can't loll around on the couch and eat Ring Dings.

Even now I'm still getting weird numb/tingly stuff going on around the scar.

And I'm still kind of bummed out about the whole thing. I don't miss having to buy Tampax, but I just never expected this at my age (I'm 36). And I wish I had happier memories of my boys' birthday.

Well, I do have my life back now in both the figurative and the literal sense, but I can't stress how tough it is to go through this kind of thing without any preparation.

You get a big from me!

Now, I'm just waiting for my guys to finally get those teeth they've been complaining about...
Unread 04-15-2005, 07:53 PM

I'm so sorry that so many of you gals are suffering. I've had pain for over 20 + years from back pain and now that I'm getting older other things are falling apart. This hysterectomy was my 11th surgery. I had a gall bladder removed as well. They took my ovaries, tubes and cervix. About a week after my surgery, I ended up in the ER with a pulmonary embolism in my right lung. I almost died; but spent a week in the hospital on blood thinners recovering and trying to rest.

It seems the older we get, the longer it takes to heal from surgeries. Everytime they make an incision, the body will never be the same. I'm at 4 weeks post op and have a great husband. As far as sex goes, the doctor said not yet and that's okay, I can pleasure my husband in other ways. Take your time with the sex thing, it will happen, you will feel better. Just be honest with your man and let him know how you feel. Things will get better. Keep positive and things will work out okay.

Take care and take your time...
Unread 04-15-2005, 09:01 PM

kostumeroom,

Your right on the money when you say age has alot to do with it. 6 years ago I was kicked by one of my horses. It split my liver, panceras, and spleen. I was like you almost died. I spent 3 weeks in the hospital. I have this nice 10 inch scar on my belly.

I will be 45 in Sept. and I have to say I really don't have the energy as what I did back then. I was telling my Dr. yesterday how tired I do still get. When my body tells me I'm tired I rest. Then I start back into the swing of things again. We have got to ease our bodies back into our daily lifes that we led before. Has he said yesterday this is a Majior surgery with loads of stitches in the inside.

As I had said in my other post I'm not aloud to have sex, for another two weeks. The post have scared me some about even having sex. I hope that it won't bother me. Dr. said just not go to deep the first few times. I guess that mean ease our way back into that too.
Unread 04-15-2005, 09:06 PM

WOW!!! Worst thing to to ever happen??? Sorry so many are having such a terrible time.Not trying to be the devils advocate here BUT,This thread reminds me very much of the one a few days ago in "Pre Op" titled "To all those getting ready".......Only in REVERSE.Guess it only goes to show how different we all are -physically and mentally.Guess when mines all said and done I will have an opinion-based on how things went and how my choices have affected my quality of life,and how I choose to deal with the setbacks/triumphs.Good health to all!!!Hope all your situations can be cleared up and your quality of life improves.
Unread 04-16-2005, 12:30 PM

I am 38 and had a TAH just under 6 weeks ago. I had it done because I to have had pre-cancerous cells (12 years ago and then came back. After going through all the colpos and biops, I was ready. It was not required but I didn't want to continue the process again every 3 months. I have to say it was the right decision for me, my dr was great. Today I was concerned how "short" i was so the dr used the swab to show me. The length is not a problem, there still is some swelling which will take longer to heal. Came home and told my DH I was ready, no problem with dryness but we weren't really agressive. It wasn't the best but dh told me it still felt the same. My dr said to give it time, I will go back in July and she wants to hear if things improved.

Contact your dr and express your concerns.

Hang in there.

Patty

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register