My questions and background | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My questions and background My questions and background

Unread 06-01-2013, 07:45 PM
My questions and background

Hi all! I am scheduled for a vaginal hysterectomy on June 27, 2013 and I am wondering what the process is like and healing time etc. I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter at home so I'm wondering for the moms out there how they dealt with that aspect as well as did you have to stay the night at the hospital? Also during my pelvic ultrasound they said my ovary was adhesioned to my uterus behind the uterus anyone experience this as well. I had an emergency C-section at 32 weeks. Oh and also I have mullerian anomalies as in a unicornuate uterus and a streak ovary on the left. My daughter has genetic mullerian anomalies in that she has no left kidney all related anyone else?

Any responses would be great! I'm super nervous and afraid it's going to be too hard and I find myself thinking up reason not to do it when I need to.

Sorry for the long intro...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Re: My questions and background

N/a
Unread 06-01-2013, 09:38 PM

I can't really help you too much with your questions as I don't have children but from all the reading I've done you WILL need help for sure. You will most likely be in the hospital a minimum of one night. Has your doctor not told you this yet? You should be able to call and find out.
At the minimum again, recovery time is at least six weeks but some doctors will tell you longer and you need to listen. Most of all you can't lift anything over ten pounds during this time.
You may want to check out the post op forum as well you might find some answers there.
If you need you ur surgery, don't be afraid, you will heal and hopefully it will help you. Sister hugz 😊
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2013, 06:20 AM

I had a vaginal hyst but for completely different diagnosis, so all I can say is in general the post op: it can be pretty slow, and it is tough with small children. I have a six year old and a three year old. I am eight weeks post op tomorrow and still struggling with stamina and still on the original lifting restrictions so, I can't lift my kids I had full time in house help for four weeks and basically did zero parenting. After that point, I was able to care for my younger son during the day but my dh drove the kindergartner to school and was home to help at night. It wasn't until another week or two later that he went back to his normal routine of traveling out of town and I was truly on my own. It is exhausting to recover from surgery. Plan, plan, plan for help. You can do it if you have help. I have no idea how I would have coped without my mother in law who stayed with us full time for three weeks!

Best of luck!
Unread 06-02-2013, 11:09 PM

I have my husband to help but not sure of anyone else in the way of help. Im sure my doctor told me but i do not remember, I've been in a daze. I start a new job 5 1/2 weeks from my surgery date so I am a bit nervous this is not enough time to heal. Thanks for the suggestion of looking at the post op threads! Thanks for the reply and for the hug...right back at you.
Unread 06-02-2013, 11:17 PM

Im afraid of how my little one will react to me staying the night at the hospital and not being able to lift her. I've never been away from her other than part time work and never ever spent the night without her since she was born (other than her one month stay in the NICU). How lucky to have full time help. I have my husband thank god and a wonderful mother in law so maybe I could ask her for some help, unfortunately my mother and I have somewhat of a strained relationship, so my options for help are limited. Thank you for the reply and the luck and advice!
Unread 06-03-2013, 05:37 AM

At my 1 week post op appt. my dr said my only restrictions were no heavy lifting. She asked me how much my 3 year old weighed and I told her 38 lbs. She said I can lift her. Ask your dr to make sure.
Unread 06-03-2013, 06:10 AM

I know how you feel I had the same thing. You can't do nothing but rest. Before my surgery I did all my housework the day before my surgery. I stayed one night in the hospital no lifting four six wks. My kids are older so they help and my husband made sure I had what I needed before he went to work. You will feel some pain.I'm at my six wks and I have some pain which is normal. All woman are different. Listen to your doctor. Its very important you do what they say.
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:26 AM

Wow that's awesome my daughter only weighs 25lbs. She's small because of her prematurity. Ill ask my doctor at the post op on June 20th. Thanks for the reply.
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:32 AM

That is so smart to do all of your housework the day before, Ill probably do the same thing so everything is all clean to come home to. Do you think you could function if you had to work? I start a new job 5 1/2 weeks after the surgery. My husband works from home so I hope that will be enough help. Just concerned when he will have to go to the store or run errands with the little one wanting and needing things. I just pray we will make it through...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register