Womans best friend. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Womans best friend. Womans best friend.

Unread 03-23-2006, 12:28 PM
Womans best friend.

Hi all. Obviously ive been spending alot of time with my dog over the past 8 weeks and there have been times when shes been a blessing. Ive always known that dogs are very sensitive to human emotions but ive been surprised by her (a collie called sasha). The day i came out of hospital she didnt jump up to greet me as she usually does but came over, let me clap her then kept her distance. Not once has she tried to jump up on the bed and when we go out for a walk she goes at my pace VERY SLOW, and never pulls.

Also theres been times, im sure youve been there, when Ive sat crying my eyes out, mainly for no reason and she has came over and gently pushed her head under my arm to give her a cuddle and it made me feel better. Now she gives me her sad eyes and i just have to get up to take her out for a walk, im sure she knows its good for me and shes just giving me a bit of motivation.

All the days when all i did was sleep she lay on the floor beside me and didnt move until i did.
I love her to bits. Has anyone else had similar experiences with their pets?

Best wishes to everyone. Angela xxx

PS The hubby and kids have been fantastic too, im very lucky and blessed.

PPS I hope you dont think im barking mad!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2006, 12:33 PM
Womans best friend.

no you are not barking mad...unless of course I am too!! My 150 lb Rott has been so incredible! He loves on me all the time! Poor guy...he will be devastated when I go back to work next week!! Nothing like a canine best friend!! 6 years ago when my Dad passed away at 62, my dog was w/me every step of the grieving process...he is so intuitive at times it is scary!!
Unread 03-23-2006, 12:45 PM
Womans best friend.

If you're barking mad, I'm meowing mad. No dogs since our golden passed, but two lovable cats who normally have to be right on mom and landing on the stomach is the first order. The first 3 weeks they didn't even come close to the tummy, came up on the bed checked me and then curled up on my feet, with a pillow in place they would come onto my lap but only if the pillow was there. If they saw the pillow wasn't in place they would sit patiently until I plulled a pillow onto my lap and then carefully step over to my lap and curl up.

It's amazing what they pick up. Of course I'm fair game now with the pillow and five weeks but they are still careful about not playing the former game of let's trampoline on mom's tummy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2006, 12:46 PM
Womans best friend.

I TOTALLY understand. I had this awesome dog named Kelsey. We had her for 11 years . She was a golden retriever mix but looked purebred. Awesome disposition. Wonderful with my kids. I was a stay at home mom and she was my best friend. I went through a depression when my oldest entered middle school. I used to sit and cry on the couch and whenever she heard me she would come in and sit beside me. She would look up at me with such compassion! I KNOW she knew what I was going through. I would wipe my tears with her ears and she would lick my face. Then when my husband died 5 years ago she slept with me and was my constant source of comfort. Over the years her arthritis kept getting worse despite all the medicine and shots. She got to the point of not being able to get up at all without falling and I had to put her down a couple months ago. My whole family including my new husband were devastated. A few years back I got another wonderful doggie and I love him too but going through this surgery I thought about how I wish Kelsey were here because I knew she would be such a comfort to me. And some people may think I'm silly but I know Kelsey is in Heaven with my first husband now and I told my kids it was Daddy's turn to be with her. Pets, especially dogs, are wonderful, soulful creatures with the incredible capacity for love and compassion. You are blessed to have your "fur person" there to comfort you!
Unread 03-23-2006, 01:03 PM
Womans best friend.

I have an absolutely lovely red dachsund named Dixie. She loves it that I am home with her. She's getting so spoiled b/c normally she stays outside all day and comes in when I get home, but now all she wants to do is stay next to me. I love her so much. She's a sweetie.
Unread 03-23-2006, 01:05 PM
Womans best friend.

My dog, Maggie, has been very protective of me since I got home. That first week she even followed me to the bathroom, and was laying right outside the door when I came out. She still lays under the computer desk right at my feet when I'm on it. She's a little Sheltie mix, 8 years old.
But the funny story has been Max, my favorite cat (I have 4). When I'm in the recliner, he's there, but he doesn't walk on my belly. He stretches out beside me and put his front legs on my belly, almost in a protective gesture. Just the past few days has he even ventured to lay across my legs. If he thinks I've been up too long, he's right in my face meowing and trying to get me to the chair. Max is 13, and moves a little slower himself these days, but he has always been my baby.
I think our animals know when we aren't feeling well, and that is true unconditional love.
Unread 03-23-2006, 01:19 PM
Womans best friend.

Yes I have we have a spoiled little dog and he has been so sweet he just looks at you with those puppy eyes so loving as if to say its ok mama I am here. Love him to pieces. Hubby and Kids have been totally great too. But there is something about that 4 legged furry friend
kim
Unread 03-23-2006, 01:25 PM
Womans best friend.

YUP for sure! I have 2 cats ... and one is always on my lap (monkey) and wants to be near me constantly .. and the other is very aloof (sweety) and keeps to herself most of the day. First 10 days from hospital, sweety was near my side every day, sometimes she would just sit on the floor next to the couch where I layed and let me pet her. When she gets on my lap (which is rare), she LEAPS off quickly without warning HARD .. yet for all that time, she never once got on my lap.

Monkey, who is always on me .. also stayed by my side on the couch, or nestled in my arms .. but went nowhere near my stomach.

One day when I forgot my pill for heart palpitaltions the night before, my heart went out of rythmn BAD ... until I remembered (5 mins later) that I had to take the pill .. it was horrid. I lay on the couch and Sweety sat on the floor and let me pet her until my heart started to slow down ... then she layed down by my feet and licked my toes. As she did this, my heart went way down and back into rythmn! It was soooo sweet that I cried.

How DO they know these things?

Dee
Unread 03-23-2006, 01:58 PM
Womans best friend.

Hi, I completely understand what you are saying. My pug Sadie was so excited when I came home from the hospital. I can't exactly say she was gentle she jumped into my lap (ouch) and licked my whole face continuously. She spent the next 8 weeks right by side. When I slept she did too, when I watched a movie so did she. She has always followed me like a little baby duck follows its mom, but now MUST be near me at all times. I think they know more then we think. Now when she naps she puts her head gently on my tummy. I can't imagine life without her. Take care! Melanie
Unread 03-23-2006, 02:08 PM
Womans best friend.

I have two dogs (Ginger & Jimi) Both dogs have been so sweet towards me. They are miniature Doxies. Ginger has been resting her head ever so gently on my stomach, right on the incision. Her head is so warm and since she is gentle it has actually been comforting. Jimi used to jump on my lap but he seems to understand not to do that right now. So, he sits at the end of the counch until I call him over and then he showers me with kisses. I could not have made it through this ordeal without my wonderful DH and my little "kids"

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register