It hurts to sit to long, is this normal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

It hurts to sit to long, is this normal? It hurts to sit to long, is this normal?

Unread 03-16-2006, 10:45 AM
It hurts to sit to long, is this normal?

I get up and stand and walk but if I sit on the couch with my feet up (I have a reclining coach) for to long my vaginal and rectal area hurts SO BAD! Like a achey/ bruisy feeling. Hubby checked and said that the fold of my vaginal area does not look the same as before surgery so I got a mirror and looked and sure enough instead of a straight line from my vaginal area to my rectom, it starts off straight but the bottom of the vaginal area goes to the left, then back down straight to my rectom. I find if I lay on my side with a pillow between my legs it helps. I still swell up (swelly belly) if I stand for just a short while. Not sure what to do. I also went from no discharge to some brown spotting. Not much of an odor, kinda like a period smell to it. Is this all normal? I don't want to call the doc for something silly, so wondered if anyone else had this going on. It has been a week and a day since my vag. hysterectomy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2006, 10:48 AM

It might all be due to the swelling, but it sounds normal to me, cuz you are still in the early stages!!!!! It took me a long time to get comfortable laying or sitting certain ways, but it takes time.....It can't hurt to talk to dr. about it all though!!!!
Best wishes!!!!!
Unread 03-16-2006, 11:56 AM

Sounds like swelling to me also. It took many weeks before I could sit comfortably for a while and it looked a lot different for at least 6-8 weeks. My dr told me that it was normal to have discharge that ranged from tan-brown for the first 6 weeks. If you're concerned, give your dr a call. Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2006, 01:24 PM

Hi Jayden:

I'm at 4 weeks today and was able to start extending my time sitting up comfortably at around week 2 but it took time to be able to sit up all day and even then I have to get up and walk around to remain comfortable. Sometimes I put a footstool to set my feet on when sitting and it changes pressure, comfort etc.

Give it time.
Unread 03-16-2006, 02:55 PM

I am at 3 weeks today and just now to the point where I can sit at the computer for longer than a few minutes to type on this site. Just remember to take it slow. If your body is saying no, then stop. Things will get better and better each day.
Wishing you all the best!
Unread 03-16-2006, 03:27 PM

I'm at 6 weeks po-op today. I still can't sit in a straight back chair for long periods of time. I have to get up and move around or I'll start to feel a little sick. It has gotten better over time. (Jeans really make it hard to sit.)
Unread 03-16-2006, 03:35 PM

Hello Jayden,
I had LAVH on Feb 8th.

I had some of the same symtoms, If I felt that way I would lay down on my bed for awhile and that helped. The brownish discharge maybe your stitches desolving. That is what color I had off an on for 3 weeks. I am now 5 weeks with total clearence to do what ever.

Don't worry to much about the swelling below, it will go away in time you just need to rest by laying down and not sitting up to much, for me and hour was all I could handle the first week and as the days went by it was a lot longer, just listen to your body if you are aching rest.

deedee42
Unread 03-16-2006, 06:16 PM

Sounds normal, don't push yourself. Your body has been through alot and you will be sore for a bit.

Try freezing a water bottle and placing it on your area. That might help you fill a little better.
Unread 03-16-2006, 08:10 PM

HI I had a vaginal hysterectomy and didnt feel comfortable sitting untill this week. I would reccomend a donut pillow It helps take the pressure off when sitting. I still get uncomfortable if I sit directly on the incision for a long time. The discharge is probably the stitches dissolving which means You are healing. It takes time "One day at a time"
Good luck to You
Celtic d
Unread 03-17-2006, 08:58 AM

Thank you all for your replies. I have done more laying down and not sitting and it REALLY helped! I hope the swelling goes down soon. I miss being on my puter.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register