Emotional about choice made to have surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Emotional about choice made to have surgery Emotional about choice made to have surgery

Unread 06-17-2013, 06:44 AM
Emotional about choice made to have surgery

So I am day 5 post op and single Mum with 2 still at home, youngest has Aspergers. I am usually self sufficient and do not rely on anyone. This whole journey has made me ask for help as I do not want to over do it. But am finding myself an emotional mess at times.
I had serious adverse drug reactions in Hospital and this still upsets me as it should not of gone on as long as it did had the nurses on duty actually listened to me. Then they could not get the right pain relief combination for me which was also agony.
At times I feel I made the wrong decision, I know this will fade as the healing process continues, but was wondering if others also have this feeling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2013, 07:15 AM
Re: Emotional about choice made to have surgery

I'm also a single mom--postop day 12--and can understand some of what you are going through but I haven't actually dealt with my emotions about this whole process yet. My choices were quite limited because I had my hysto due to cancer. Just remember that whatever feelings you are having are fine. You can't change the things that have already happened but you can be mad about it. Do you have family or friends you can talk to? We all need to vent a little bit. I wish you well.
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natrgrrl View Post
I'm also a single mom--postop day 12--and can understand some of what you are going through but I haven't actually dealt with my emotions about this whole process yet. My choices were quite limited because I had my hysto due to cancer. Just remember that whatever feelings you are having are fine. You can't change the things that have already happened but you can be mad about it. Do you have family or friends you can talk to? We all need to vent a little bit. I wish you well.
I wish you well with your pathology natrgrrl

Keep telling myself, stop looking back and keep looking forward!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2013, 08:54 PM

I had a very bad experience in the hospital with pain control and lack of attention by understaffed nurses. It really amplified the stress of the surgery. For the first few days, I felt as though I had been through a trauma, and my anxiety spiked. Now that I am partially healed, it feels more like a bad memory.

Do not hesitate to ask for help. Many people enjoy helping if they know what is needed. It is very hard to give kids the attention they need while recovering from surgery. I have had to ignore some behavioral problems because I can't do much right now.
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:27 PM

Wow, the nursing was the worst part of my experience. I tried so hard to screen for the surgeon and then my life was in the hands of a nurse who did not wash her hands or don gloves consistently! Anyway, I think it is normal to second guess these things. Yesterday at 4.5 weeks out I was experiencing more pain and had the same thought. Today was very low on pain and high on energy and it seems like a great decision. I imagine this will continue for some time. I have a son with Asperger's and it has been a great opportunity to teach him helping out. Plus, I completely plan to have him keep carrying the groceries once I am fully healed :-) Just keep asking for the help you need - from kids, neighbors, whoever. I have concluded that most people like to help when they know what is needed. Best healing wishes.
Unread 06-19-2013, 01:08 AM

Thats awful sincerely seattl

i luv chocolate, exactly trauma, that's how it feels. I was so anxious prior to the surgery and people didn't quite understand that it was not the surgery that made me anxious, but rather the recovery immediately following

All my nurses were wonderful bar 1! and it was him that put thoughts into the heads of the others about me having panic attacks re: about the catheter and surgical pack due to come out. It was him that kept injecting me with the drug I was having adverse reactions too. I tried so hard to tell them that something was not right and all they kept saying was slow my breathing and rubbing my hand. I had breathing difficulties, was seeing flashes of light, my whole body ached and my skin felt like it was crawling on me. Abdominal pain was increased as was lower back pain. I was sweating profusely and constantly vomiting. and they called it a panic attack This went on for 3 injections that were given at 4hrly intervals. I was at his mercy until the Dr's came around at 9am and saw how distressed I was.

But like said I need to not look back and move forward. Trying very hard to do very little even though I don't feel to bad today. Going to go stir crazy on the couch though. School holidays coming up in just over a week, at least I will be able to drive then.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register