Anybody else "old" and "fat"??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anybody else "old" and "fat"??? Anybody else "old" and "fat"???

Unread 11-09-2004, 05:29 PM
Anybody else "old" and "fat"???

Ya know what? I am reading the post from you Princesses and pre-Princesses and am wondering if I am the only one who is "old" at 62 years young and also "fat" at 250#. I also have a apron of fat to contend with. I know the incision will be horizontal under the fat apron. Is this going to be a real problem for me? The added weight on the incision? Is there such a thing as a belly band for us "fluffy" women? Any and all ideas, thoughts, advice will be well taken :-)

Hugs to all..

Sweetpea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2004, 05:50 PM

Hi, I'm pushing 56 and I don't expect to bouce back like the younger ones here, but I do expect to get to the goal line eventually!

Weight is not a factor for me, but I have heard that some use hair dryers occasionally to dry the area. I don't have surgery until Dec 1, but I know that one must inspect the incission site frequently for the obvious; redness, drainage, hematomas, etc. There were numerous threads on this a long time ago that you could "search" for. Wish I could remember the buzz word to use for the search....maybe if I were younger I would remember!

I believe my heart is in good shape and my lungs are good too, that has to be a plus for anyone over 40. I thought the belly band came in 3 sizes on the shopping site. Best of luck to you!
Maralyn
Unread 11-09-2004, 06:58 PM

I am ever so much older than you, age 78 when I had a total hysterectomy last year for grade 3 endometrial cancer. From reading the posts on this website, I can tell you that my recovery went along with none of the problems frequently reported here. Of course I have no job to return to or young children to care for or even any pets. But I was quickly back at my computer writing up my family history research projects.

Weight was not an isssue so perhaps others would have something to say about that.

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery from this "old" lady,

Elizabeth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2004, 07:04 PM

That's wonderful Elizabeth.

Maralyn
Unread 11-09-2004, 08:17 PM

Thanks to both of you for the response :-) maybe I'll do a search for that thread. The hair dryer is a good hint. I'll add that to my list of "to dos". Gosh, I was ready to say something negative, but I think I won't. I am blessed to have caught this (hopefully) in the stage it is now instead of full-blown cancer.

I'll report in when I am able to sit up and take sustenance :-)

Thanks again :-)

Sweetpea
Unread 11-09-2004, 11:22 PM

Sweetpea-- I'm pushing two things--50 and 250. I had a bikini cut (had to laugh--as if I'LL ever wear a bikini!) and it was not beneath the "fat apron", so I never had to worry about keeping it dry. After the surgery, when I was shuffling around the block, my mother and I rigged up a brace (made it out of a couple strips of muslin and some velcro) to keep the strain off my incision--worked beautifully, too. I healed quickly, with no complications (despite the dire predictions of some nurses).

There were quite a few posts about this issue--you might try doing a search. I had honestly thought my "fluffiness" would be a problem for my doctor, but when I mentioned this, she looked at me as though I was insane, and told me flat out NO--no problem.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions about the impact of weight on this whole experience. Oh, and my best wishes for a successful surgery and an easy recovery.

Valarie
Unread 11-10-2004, 04:03 AM
Fluffy Princess :)

Sweet Pea!
I love the idea of being fluffy! I tell people that I am in shape, isn't round a shape???

I am 40, and 244 pounds. I am a big girl, big bones, with some big meat on these bones.

The surgery was very stress-free. I worried about are they gonna have to pick me up and move me from bed to bed. My pride is still alive, and the thought of someone straining to pick me up sent me into tizzy's! Nope, you move yourself...well I did.
After surgery, when I was shuttled to the ward. I had to move from one bed to my lovely new comfy bed. My nurse told me, once you start...DON"T STOP! I listened to this nurse, and it worked!

The recovery for me has been very easy. I drank lots of water, before and at the hospital. I walked as much as possible.
Keeping the incision dry was easy for me...it is much lower than I expected...well below my belly. I never wore a bikini that low even when I was 10!

You sound like you have a great attitude about life...although things happen in your recovery different than others...don't get discouraged. The waiting for the surgery was the toughest part!
I'll be looking for you on the otherside(post op) soon!!
Unread 11-10-2004, 06:03 AM

I was told by my DR that one thing you can do with your extra pads when your are "fluffy" is put one absorbant side next to the stitches to help keep the area dry. He stated it cuts down on infections in the surgery area.

Don't know if this will work for you - but a little extra padding over the stitches and under the clothes can't hurt.
Unread 11-10-2004, 06:38 AM

I am 51, and I too am overly fluffy, and have a significant hangover in the abdominal area. My incision was done in the fold, and it has not been hard to keep it clean and dry. For the first week or two, I would shower, then lay on the bed to dry it with a hair dryer set on cool. I used 3x8 inch telfa pads laid on the incision which folded over as I got up. The apron hangover held the telfa pad in place, and kept the incision dry, and absorbed any drainage. I was surprised and pleased at how well my incision healed. I had all kinds of concerns about infection down there, since I have to contantly fight yeast infections and heat rash in the folds. I heal slowly, but I have had an uneventful recovery. Its been slow but sure. I hope things go well for you!
Unread 11-10-2004, 10:36 AM

I am two weeks post-op and had a TAH/bso/hernia repair. I'm 53 and my pre-op weight was 412lbs. I was very concerned but my surgeon was positive and the anesthesia man said he had cared for patients up to 700lbs. I feel that my surgery recovery is very similar to my c-section (26 years ago). My advice is to just follow your doctors orders and realize that the doctor wouldn't recommend it if they didn't think you were a good candidate.
Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register