Magnesium citrate doesn't tast that bad | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Magnesium citrate doesn't tast that bad Magnesium citrate doesn't tast that bad

Unread 08-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Magnesium citrate doesn't tast that bad

Of course I'm still awaiting the desired effects - it's been not quite two hours since I drank the stuff - but seriously it wasn't nearly as bad to drink as I anticipated. I had a colonoscopy 3 years ago and drinking a gallon of that awful tasting stuff about did me in.

Thank goodness for this prep I didn't have to do that stuff but the magnesium citrate instead. I found the 10-ounce bottle of Target-brand lemon flavored liquid. Didn't even chill it. Just popped it open and downed it in about 5 minutes. It's really tart-lemony and has a somewhat salty aftertaste. It reminded me of the Quench gum that used to be sold when I was young. So for any of you worried about getting it down...piece of cake!

Now I wait....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2012, 04:47 PM
Re: Magnesium citrate doesn't tast that bad

It is not too bad, I agree. Although if it says "tasty" on the bottle, you know it is not! I also did the lemon-lime flavor - I thought it was better than cherry.

For me, the desired effects to longer than I anticipated. I thought I may have done something wrong, but when I asked the pre-op nurse, she said everyone is different and I did fine.

Good luck with your surgery, I am sure all will go well.

We will be waiting for you on the other side.

Unread 08-12-2012, 05:16 PM

i have to take that too .. i got the cherry and lemon flavor at kroger ... they were cheap ... so .. wasnt a problem affording it ... whichever taste best will be drank ... n i too was expecting a much bigger bottle ... was relieved when i saw how small it was ... my surgery is next Tuesday the 21 ... good luck with your surgery tomorrow ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2012, 05:35 PM

You mean it's not the big bottle people take for colonoscopies? I swear you'd think my husband was dying drinking that stuff, so nervous, to say the least, if that's what I'm in for, but is it diff for hysterectomies? That would help the worry.
Unread 08-12-2012, 08:41 PM

My magnesium citrate bottle was only 10 ounces. Not the big gallon jug like for the colonoscopy.

However......it's mighty powerful! It started working at around 4pm and here 5.5 hours later I'm still basically pooing water which is what I've been doing since it first kicked in. Granted, I can actually spend a few minutes away from the bathroom now, but still when it hits it REALLY HITS! How long does this go on? I'd like to go to bed and try and get some sleep since I have to be at the hospital at 5:30am but am afraid if I lay down soon and sleep, I'll have a huge accident in the bed. Un-fun....
Unread 08-12-2012, 08:46 PM

I had thought it would be really nasty tasting too - but the lemon /citrus flavor wasn't too bad.
Unread 08-12-2012, 11:23 PM

My doc told me to mix mine with diet sprite and margarita mix and blend it. It worked in 45 min I took it at 2pm and was still going at 12am and even felt like I had to go in holding.
Unread 08-13-2012, 03:43 AM

I didn't mind the taste of it either. I got the grape this time. They didn't have that flavor 10 years ago when I had to take it for my myomectomy. I got cherry and didn't mind the taste of that one, also.

Sometimes it can take a little while to kick in with some folks, and others it works pretty rapidly.
Unread 08-13-2012, 04:03 AM

I was able to get a few hours sleep but am up now getting ready to leave for the castle and it's STILL working! Only went a little bit, but still pretty much water. Ugh! What if I pass gas right before or during surgery...or possibly worse yet, after surgery when I'm not able to move around well and get to the toilet?

Note to self: Perhaps I could ask the doctors if 1/2 bottle would be effective if I ever need to do this again. I wonder if it's because I only weigh around 120 lb and they had me take the full adult dose? Also my intestines have already been messed up for a couple months and then I had stomach flu last weekend that came with lots of diarrhea. My bowels have taken a hit lately.

We'll wish me luck. Signing off and not planning on checking in again again until sometime after I'm on the other side of this.
Unread 08-13-2012, 04:18 AM

All the best to you on your surgery! Sending positive thoughts & prayers for a smooth surgery and a smooth & easy recovery! See you on the other side!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register