Progeterone | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-05-2002, 07:51 AM
Progesterone

Hi all,
My Gyn/Onc wants to try giving me high levels of progesterone (Prometrium) for three months to see if that would help the cancer. So if in three months the cancer is still there I will have the hysterectomy. I just don't know if I'm comfortable waiting three more months and taking progesterone. It seems like a good idea because I get to refrain from a hysterectomy if it works. I just don't feel like i should get my hopes ups. and have them shot down again. If anyone had to try this please let me know how it went.
Sara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2002, 08:40 AM
Progeterone

What exactly have you been diagnosed with? Prometrium is a desired protocol with endometrial hyperplasia, a precancerous condition, and is used when the patient is premenopausal, to hopefully avoid a hysterectomy in this population. The patient is closely monitored. I haven't heard of its use with an actual cancer diagnosis but I could be wrong.

It sounds like the gyn/onc is following the right approach, but I would encourage you to seek a second opinion if you are uncomfortable with the doctor's advice.
Unread 02-05-2002, 10:06 AM
Endometrial Cancer

I have first stage endometrial cancer and he thinks it is early enough that progesterone may be the cure. I dont know what to do. I think I will try this and just pray that it works.
Sara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2002, 10:40 AM
Progeterone

Sara,

Thankfully stage 1 is highly curable. However, I sense that you still have doubts about the approach your doctor is taking-please consider getting a second (or even third) opinion (most likely it will be the same) to put your fears at rest. Also check the internet - webmd.com has detailed info on different types of cancer and the most up to date treatments at various stages of the disease. Most likely the latest thinking concurs with what your gyn/onc is recommending, and the articles will help you formulate questions for the doc. Wishing you the best-

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register