alternatives? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

alternatives? alternatives?

Unread 05-16-2005, 04:37 PM
alternatives?

hiya this is my 1st time using the site! I,m going for my pre-op on wednesday and i,m really worried i,m making the wrong decision! I wondered if any of the other people using this site have any information regarding alternatives to hysterectomy! i have searched the web yet can,t really find any info on my condition. This being i had loop treatment to remove abnormal cells on my cervix. However the laser treatment caused my cervix to heal more or less closed. I can,t face more reconstructive laser treatment at colposcopy so was advised to have an hysterectomy. The good news is all abnormal cells were removed so i just need some treatment to re-open my cervix! The bad news is i will have to be awake again for the reconstructive laser surgery (as they called it!). What other options are available to me? Does anybody know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2005, 07:27 AM
alternatives?

Could you tell us a lil more about your condition?? Kinda confused. Do you know whether it just going to be the cervix being removed??? or a total hyst??? The ladies here are great I know they've helped me understand alot of what I'm going thru just by reading their experiences. Keep in touch and let us know what the doc says

Nicki
Unread 05-17-2005, 09:52 AM
alternatives?

Hi McKenzie

I'm glad your cells were clear this time. Sorry your procedures have left you with a closed cervix though. If you look on the Internet for "cervical stenosis" you will receive a mixture of results because "cervical stenosis" could also be referring to a narrowing of the spine at the neck area. You might try terms such as “dysplasia + cervical stenosis”, “cervix +stenosis”, “uterine cervical stenosis”, etc.

As ((Nicnic)) mentioned, it might be helpful if you could tell us what procedure(s) you are scheduled for, as I’m a tad confused too. Does you doc feels the cervix could be opened again, but you feel you cannot tolerate being awake for the laser reconstruction – so are opting for a hyst instead? Many women worry about whether a hysterectomy is right for them. It usually helps to get a second opinion - or even a third opinion.

I don’t know that much about the treatment for cervical stenosis, but have read where dilation is sometimes successful. I also have read where trachelectomy (removal of the cervix) or hysterectomy is sometimes recommended if the stenosis is preventing adequate cancer screening. There may be other options as well. Many of us think of several questions we’d like to ask after we’ve left the doctor’s office. If you will be seeing your doctor tomorrow during your pre-op, don’t hesitate to share your reservations and ask more questions. You want to do whatever you can to make yourself as comfortable with this decision as possible.

Best wishes & s,
Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2005, 03:17 PM
thanx

thanx for replying to me regarding ALTERNATIVES TO HYSTERECTOMY just to clarify my position i am going for my pre-op appointment tomorrow (wednesday) for hysterectomy the plan being to remove my cervix and uterus vaginally i desperately don,t want to have this done but don,t know of any other options! i have checked out the net for info on cervical stenosis and dysplasia etc. but they don,t really say what procedures can be done! i just don,t know what to do! i,m going to have my pre-op app but i,m also going back to see my g.p who was extremely supportive last time i saw her. If in the meantime there are any ladies who have had similar problems i would love to hear from you and what you did to resolve your condition. Also if anybody else has any info i would be very pleased to hear from you thanx so much to nicki n beth for their concern xxx (by the way i,m 36 and i have children already but both myself and my partner did want one more baby) well thanx again in anticipation of a response bye for now! xxxx
Unread 05-18-2005, 03:27 PM
more options?!

hiya! just thought i would update on my situation! i had my pre-op app today but after speaking to somebody at my G.P,s surgery it was decided my best option would be to postpone my pre-op and keep my appointment with my G.P next week. My plan is to see if she can do a smear and if not to refer me to another hospital where there are female doctor,s available! I,m still hopeful an alternative can be found rather than having an hysterectomy, but definately need to talk to a doctor who can advise me properly rather than just saying "OH HAVE AN HYSTERECTOMY AND HAVE IT OVER AND DONE WITH". so my next app is thursday next week and i,m hoping and praying my (female) G.P will be able to do a smear!, if she can i may well be in the clear (touch wood) However i think i,m being a little too optomistic! but i won,t know till i go so finger,s crossed. I will keep updating on my situation as i regularly visit the site and i realise i am much more fortunate than most of the ladies who use this site!!!!!!!!! good luck to all ladies out there who are facing surgery or medical procedures and love to all those who have! well bye for now XXXX XXX sharon XXX
Unread 05-19-2005, 07:04 AM
alternatives?

Hi McKenzie,

I'm glad you'll be getting additional opinions before making your decision. If you still end up needing a hyst~ if you end up not being a candidate for an alternative treatment ~ or if you try other alternatives and they are unsuccessful, at least you'll know you've explored your options and might be more comfortable with it.

Also, if you do a search here on HS for "cervical stenosis" (the search area is above the lavendar bar on any page) you'll find other posts which mention your condition.

Let us know what you find out. Good luck.
s & ers,
Beth
Unread 05-19-2005, 09:45 AM
alternatives?

Hi

Glad that you're getting options now instead of the final solution. Hope all is going well

Nicki

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register