TAH uncomfortable tugging feeling during urination | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

uncomfortable tugging feeling during urination uncomfortable tugging feeling during urination

Unread 01-11-2011, 08:06 PM
uncomfortable tugging feeling during urination

Hello Everyone!
I am 4 week post-op from a TAH. It was on Dec. 6th. Ever since i have been home I have had uncomfortable urination. In the hospital the nurse reassured me that it is normal because of the catheter, to have some uncomfortable feeling during urination. It is hard for me to start urination and when I do I feel a pulling sensation. It isn't "painful" but very noticeable and very different to how it felt pre-surgery. It feels like my bladder is being tugged on everytime I use the bathroom. I have had many previous UTI infections and it is very different from that, so I don't think I have an infection, at least not that kind. No fever, no burning, no urgency. just a weird type of tinge that i can only describe as a pulling sensation. Almost like my bladder might pop through my bottom at any moment! Then it goes away once I am done. The only other strange thing that has happened is after one time urinating, I was out of the bathroom just a minute or two I did have a medium amount of urine just leak right out onto my panties. I am hoping someone may have experienced this before and can help me understand. So far I have had a very normal, uneventful recovery. I do have my 6 week check up coming up shortly. I haven't called to ask the nurse, because I have been assuming it was just irritation from the catheter...but after 4 weeks I am thinking that there is possibly something else going on. Thank you for taking the time to read this. If you have any advice at all I am all ears!! So glad I found this site too!!

Heather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Re: uncomfortable tugging feeling during urination

I have the same trouble, with the pulling, but I've had it worst than this before, it's been a common symptom of mine with my cystits and bleeding troubles. But neither of those are upset now, however my bladder was worked on so my doctor warned me of some discomfort and frequent urination. Other than your UTI's have you ever had trouble?

If it's not a horrible pain and just a slight discomfort I'm thinking it could just be because of the bladder having to reposition itself and the upset it's recently been through. If it really scares you I'd tell the doctor right away.

Otherwise with the leaking, I've been having that problem too often after I pee. It drives me absolutely crazy. It happens the most at night when I'm up about every 1/2 hour. I'm hoping as my bladder calms down it will go away. I hope that happens in your case too - I don't think it's anything terribly bad, just uncomfortable.

I wish I had more help to offer. Call the nurse if it's really worrying you. Otherwise I feel your pain the uncomfortable-ness, and the the leakiness from time to time!
Unread 01-11-2011, 08:54 PM

I had problems with bladder spasms for about 5 weeks after my surgery. I initially thought I had an infection....but no fever, burning,etc. DR said it was spasms and that they would subside. 6 weeks today and no spasms for a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2011, 08:57 PM

I haven't had any other bladder problems before so Im sure it is related to the surgery. I had wondered too about when they move all those organs around, if this was just a side effect from it. But I hope it does stop at some point. I have had it since immediately after my surgery and it hasnt worried me to much but I guess I expected it to be gone by now! I will plan on asking my doctor when I go in for my check up. Im not a huge worrier or hyperchondriac but I did google some of my symptoms and everything was articles on bladder prolapse. Of course i do not have all of those symptoms but I wasnt sure if it was a "serious" symptom. thank you so much for responding. I hope you are having a smooth recovery!
Unread 01-12-2011, 01:01 AM

I was having this pain too. A sister suggested over the counter AZO and it really helped
Unread 01-12-2011, 05:33 AM

Could your surgeon have 'tacked' your bladder against your abdominal wall? I had a TAH on 13th Dec and I have the same feeling as you. I'm quite uncomfortable with twinging and pulling until I go to 'wee', then the pulling subsides. Sometimes I sit there a little longer and I find I do another little wee about ten seconds later. This was from the catheter.
The reason I think it's a bladder tack is because approx one week afterwards, a small bruise appeared riht in the middle of my abdomen - it 'sucks' in' a definite indentation' where the bruise is. I can feel the stitch tension before I go to the toilet and less afterwards.
Even though he didn't say he had done this' it makes sense - the bladder should be tacked uo to something otherwise it would drop and prolapse?
It's just a thought - the bruise has now just gone but the indent is still there - definitely something is stitched thre. I'll find out at my six weeker.
Let me know if you find aanything else?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register