procrit for anemia? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

procrit for anemia? procrit for anemia?

Unread 11-24-2002, 10:13 PM
procrit for anemia?

Does anyone have info on treating anemia with procrit? I'm iron deficient (big time) and have endless heavy periods. Just can't get ahead here and have surgery in 3 weeks. I'm taking as much oral iron as I can tolerate. Wouldn't it be interesting if I couldn't have surgery because of the anemia and I couldn't get rid of the anemia until I had surgery? Waiting for results of most recent blood tests and I want to be proactive with treating this. Thanks for all the help you give to everyone on these boards. It's really getting me through!
s
Cheryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2002, 03:17 AM
procrit for anemia?

I don't know how Procrit can help with your anemia but I do know how you feel. I am in the same boat. I had my pre-op last Wed. and my dr. and I talked about this Catch-22. I need the surgery to help me feel better -- I'll stop bleeding and my iron level will go up. On the other hand, I can't stop bleeding and my iron levels are low! I am waiting on my blood test results and I am nervous as heck that they will be to low for surgery. If they are I need to have a shot to stop my period for 3 months. I will hold my breath until I find out. Good luck to you!
Unread 11-25-2002, 05:18 AM
might want to google this

so many drug manufacturers publish their patient insert info online. By reading this info, you can see why a drug is prescribed, possible side effects, what conditions the drug treats. At least you will get the info straight from the horse's mouth if you do the research.

Only thing I know about procrit is it is prescribed for chemo patients suffering from anemia, or at least that is what the TV commercials imply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2002, 05:29 AM
procrit for anemia?

Hi, I had slight anemia before surgery and it went as scheduled. It was a little worse after surgery so my dr put me on Hemocyte - a vitamin, mineral, iron complex. It did help but I had to take a stool softener 3 times a day with it. Now I'm taking "total women's" multi vitamin that has extra everything including iron. I still get very tired everyday but it's better. Good luck , keep us posted - we're here for you. s
Unread 11-25-2002, 09:07 AM
procrit for anemia?

Procrit is most often used to treat anemia associated with chemotherapy, but there are other uses, including anemia caused by chronic kidney failure, and anemia caused by chronic disease. It can also be used to treat pre-operative patients who are anemic. It stimulates production of the patient's own red blood cells. You might want to chat with your doctor and see if he or she would be willing to look into treating you with Procrit. Information about Procrit's indications and usage can be found at:

http://www.procrit.com/

For further information about insurance reimbursement issues for Procrit, you and/or your doctor might want to take a look at:

http://www.procritline.com/

I am not a doctor, but I am a biller for a hematology-oncology practice. We dispense a lot of Procrit, and I've been around the block with probably just about every billing and reimbursement issue related to it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Unread 11-25-2002, 10:05 AM
whats too low

whats too low for the hemotacrit and hemoglobin? anemia is the reason i am having surgery. my htc is 26% (normal value 36 - 44%) and my hgb is 7 (normal value 12.1 - 15) and my serum ferrin is 3% (normal value 30 to 50%) the last round of blood tests also showed my white count was down. no one has ever mentioned not doing the surgery because i am anemic.

one more question: on the what to bring to the hospital list it mentioned a tummy pillow, what do you use it for and do i need one if i have it done vaginally?
Unread 11-25-2002, 03:26 PM
procrit for anemia?

Wow. Your blood counts are indeed rather low. And you're actually up walking around? Amazing.

The tummy pillow is used to press against your tummy when you have to cough or sneeze.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register