vitamins and supplements post op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

vitamins and supplements post op? vitamins and supplements post op?

Unread 03-12-2005, 06:35 PM
vitamins and supplements post op?

Hi ladies...I am curious if anyone on here has taken any vitamins or supplements either preop or post op?? I am scheduled for a TAH on the 18th of this month (GULP!) I have been taking Vit C, B complexes, and Zinc to fight off a cold, and was hoping someone might be able to share what is good to take post op? Someone mentioned Arnica and Vitamin E i think for healing? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2005, 07:01 PM

Hi,
First of all good luck on your upcoming surg. I had a TAH a litle over 7 weeks ago.
I take the vitamins you are plus vitamin E, omega 3 fish oil and calcium my cardiologist suggested these they are good for your heart and healing. My gyn agreed the only thing is you may want to talk to your doctor or ask at your pre-op appt at the castle if you should be off the non rx meds for a time before surg. some DR don't want you on over the counter meds before. I also take a asprin every day. I stopped that and calcium before my hyst for one week but started them back on them the next day.

HUGS to you,
Diana
Unread 03-12-2005, 07:11 PM

My doc said no medicines or supplements for 2 weeks before surgery. After, she has me take 2000 mg of Vitamin C per day for healing. Also, since my hot flashes / night sweats started again, she has me taking iso-flavin supplements.

Vitamin E is good for healing, although I've always used it externally (once the cuts have healed) - it minimizes any scarring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2005, 07:13 PM

The Monday before my surgery (on Wednesday), my doctor said not to take any more vitamins, supplements, ibuprofen, etc., until after the surgery. In fact, he asked me if I had taken any ibuprofen the week before. So, to be safe, be sure and ask your doctor about this.

My sister-in-law asked her doctor about having vitamin C added to her IV immediately after surgery, and her doctor okayed it. My SIL thinks it helped her healing.
Unread 03-12-2005, 07:17 PM

Hi Diana and thanks...I was advised preop to stop taking the Vit E and fish oil as well as the calcium..but am assuming that the packet of vitamins i was taking up to a few weeks preop i can take after the surgery then...i also take "calm" which is merely magnesium which has been awesome in helping me with the "jumpy legs" i stopped taking that as i had forgotten to mention it at preop last week and did not want to interfer with anything...i really miss that the most...thanks on the good wishes for my surgery...the anxiety is really setting in
Unread 03-12-2005, 07:24 PM

thank you thank you for all the advice...i am trying be as healthy as possible for fri...the doctor also said no advil too but no mention of the vit c or B ...funny i never thought i had pain with the fibroids until i could not take the advil anymore..

i like the idea about the vitamin c and IV....i am going to bring everything with me to hospital and i will be chatting with YOU ladies on the post op board when i get home! (she says confidantly!!)
Unread 03-12-2005, 07:35 PM

My regular doc, who is an MD that practices nutritional CAM (alternative medicine) had me off all supplements two weeks prior to surgery. After surgery he had me take Arnica, a homeopathic that helps with all bruising. It was wonderful! My bruises disappeared like magic! I had a doosie on my left arm from a bad IV poke -- it was gone in days, not weeks. I also took Vitalzym (to keep adhesions at bay) and Vit K, as well as all my other supplements. The only thing I can say is that the Arnica is incredible and I hardily recommend it. It's also cheap! The other stuff costs more but was worth it for me! As always, do as your doc says. I was blessed since my doc knew I needed this stuff and made sure I got it. You can get Arnica at a health food store, mine was 200X, although the 30X is also good. I took three under the tongue, 3 times a day. Hope this helps.
Unread 03-12-2005, 07:50 PM

Good luck on Friday - I had my TAH/RSO on 2/15/05. Many blessings to you! This site has been a godsend since my surgery. Let us know how you are post op!
Unread 03-12-2005, 11:17 PM

Hi,

I had my hysterectomy 3 years ago and kept both ovaries. After my surgery my regular doctor said to keep taking the vitamins I had been taking - they are still good for your body in many ways. I take a women's multi-vitamin with iron, Vitamin E, and a B complex with C vitamin.

I was told to stop taking the Vitamin E a week prior to my surgery to prevent any unusual bleeding problems. I resumed taking the Vitamin E at 1 week post-op.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register