4 wks, still sore if I walk much or stand for long? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 wks, still sore if I walk much or stand for long? 4 wks, still sore if I walk much or stand for long?

Unread 09-15-2005, 11:01 AM
4 wks, still sore if I walk much or stand for long?

Hi everyone,
I'm 4 wks post-op for TAH (one ovary left) and I really wasn't prepared for how long this recovery is taking. I feel fine as long as the most I'm doing is walking from kitchen to livingroom, etc. but if I go anywhere I get very swelled and sore very quickly.

Example: Tuesday I took it easy all day because I knew we'd be out that evening. We went to Best Buy so I could return a purchase and even standing at the returns counter for 5 minutes I was really starting to hurt. I ended up walking over and standing around talking to a guy in the camera department for another 15 minutes or so and I was practically doubled over in pain and walking very very slowly by the time we left.

Is anyone else finding this. I'd really thought that walking/standing shouldn't be a problem by now. I can understand not doing lifting, heavy housework, etc. but standing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2005, 11:22 AM

Hi,

I am 3 wks Post Op TAH/BSO and if I stand for too long it causes Swelly Belly and yes it is very painfull !!!
Up to now I have only been out a few afternoons to visit my mum or my sister who drove, by the time I got home I was exhausted.
I have not been shopping yet as my family are helping with that, I am going out to a restaurant next friday with a friend so that gives me a whole week to get prepared and rest.
This recovery is a slow process but you only get the one chance to heal correctly, I would have asked for a stool or chair to sit on whilst talking to the guy in the camera dept,i am sure if he knew you was recovering from a major op he would have obliged.
Please take care Minijoy remember to pamper the Princess !!!

Wishing you a fast and painfree recovery,

Elaine x
Unread 09-15-2005, 11:35 AM
took me 4 months to walk

hi it took me 4 months to walk straight , i felt like i had a pulling sensation every time i walked it drove me mad . i am 5 half months now and just getting there ! i have had a few problems but im on the way to recovery hope you feel well soon , i also have one ovary left .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2005, 11:41 AM

I'm 2 1/2 weeks out and definitely having troulbe walking. Still have a hard time walking without a pillow in my stomach or wearing the swelly belly band. I feel like my stomach alone weighs 100 pounds and if I don't hold on to it it will hit the ground. I know it won't but that's how I feel. I guess we just have to be patient.
Unread 09-15-2005, 11:46 AM

Hi There ,
I know it is very frustrating the time it takes to heal from this "major" surgery! As hard as it is, it's best to make sure you don't over-do-it! Everyone heals differently and at different speeds, you have to make sure you know your limits so you don't cause yourself more pain or injury, sometimes its 1 step forward 2 back. Please be patient!! I hope the best for your speedy recovery. Sending you many 's

Don't forget to pamper yourself!
Mel
Unread 09-15-2005, 02:13 PM

I read that your belly will draw fluids for the healing process, much like a sprained ankle. So it seems to me that if your upright, with gravity and a healing process going on, Fluids are going to build up there to protect the area. I guess we just have to do a little at a time.
I just passed 4 weeks, did some dishes and i had to lean on the counter towards the end. My back seems to be hurting more with getting up and around. I took a shower today, made myself something to eat and I wasnt exhausted. Took a short nap and feel better. I've been taking Ibuprofin, but they dont seem to help much.
hang in there
Unread 09-15-2005, 02:58 PM

I wish that I could say that things will get better soon but I am almost 8 weeks postop and still have problems with standing or walking for prolonged periods. I went back to work half days this week and I am napping as soon as I get home. Can't wait for things to get better.
Michelle
Unread 09-15-2005, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyapplelady
I wish that I could say that things will get better soon but I am almost 8 weeks postop and still have problems with standing or walking for prolonged periods. I went back to work half days this week and I am napping as soon as I get home. Can't wait for things to get better.
Michelle
I've got two good friends, both have had the surgery (one with cancer and tumours everywhere) and both are telling me they were up and around much more than I am and not swelling like I am so I'm beginning to wonder.

Oh and I'd really like to wear my own clothing again. My jeans still won't do up because of the swelling
Unread 09-15-2005, 03:28 PM

YES YES AND YES~ when they say 4 to 6 weeks I think they were talking about Superwoman, because I swear it seems to get worse before it get's better. There seems to be this big gap between week 4-6 that really slows us up and the pain comes back full force but in new areas! When I found out I was having surgery Aug 30th I told all my family I guarantee you I won't be back to 75% normal until at least December, just from having my ablation and one ovary removed I knew how long that took to recover. Hope you feel better soon, I would still take it easy.
Unread 09-15-2005, 04:01 PM

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one!! I told my husband last night that if riding in the car to town (which is only about 10 minutes from our home!), getting my hair cut and riding back home makes my back ache and my tummy swell, how in the world will I feel up to going back to work in 2 weeks!?! I definitely plan to ask my doctor that question when I see him again in a couple of weeks.

LAVH - Adenomyosis

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register