LSH Hot flashes, but still have my ovaries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hot flashes, but still have my ovaries Hot flashes, but still have my ovaries

Unread 05-31-2011, 04:49 PM
Hot flashes, but still have my ovaries

I have found numerous references online to this happening post surgery, but my doctors office doesn't believe that this can be happening to me. What is the deal? Is it possible or not?

Had my surgery on 5/25/11. Uterus out, ovaries stayed. LOTS of endo removed and two fibroids removed. I have Multiple Sclerosis and I was really thankful that I was able to keep the ovaries as getting thrown abruptly into menopause could really put me into a MS flare.

Well for the past three days I have been having horrible hot flashes. I have had mild night sweats for the past 4 or 5 years, but never anything during the day. This has been just awful and I feel sticky and disgusting all day long. I just barely get over one and another one roles over me and I am dripping with sweat again.

I called up the gyno office this AM and asked about this problem and when the nurse called me back a short while ago her view and that of the doctor (not the one that did my surgery) is that I kept my ovaries and that therefore this couldn't be hot flashes related to my ovaries not working correctly post surgery.

What do you all think? They are basically telling me to just deal with it because it isn't anything to do with what they are involved with body function wise. Actually tried to say it must be MS related, which I don't think it is. Feeling very frustrated right now and not sure which direction to jump in. If this is my ovaries not working and I am getting tossed into menopause in an abrupt fashion the two weeks wait until I see the gyno again will be more then enough to make me have a pretty horrible flare and those take me months to get over :-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2011, 05:45 PM
Re: Hot flashes, but still have my ovaries

I can't believe a gyn wouldn't know about this. Even medical web sites know about this. Hopefully this is only temporary but with the MS and a possible flare I would definately not wait for 2 weeks. Can you call your primary dr and maybe get your hormone levels tested? At least with the test results in hand you will have proof that something is wrong. You might even be able to see the dr sooner. Also, you might be able to convince one of them to put you on some temporary hrt to stave off a MS flare. Good luck!

Sending (((hugs))) & prayers your way!
Unread 05-31-2011, 05:55 PM

Well as it happens I have an appointment with my PCP on Thursday. I just called to confirm that I don't need to fast prior to blood work to check hormone levels and I will be pushing for that. If I find that they are wonky I am going to be VERY honkerblonked at my gyno's office for basically telling me that this had nothing to do with my female parts, must be MS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2011, 05:29 PM

I decided not to have my blood tested for hormone levels. However the night sweats and minor daytime hot flashes continue. I have my post op appointment on June 9th and I am dreading it. I feel as if I was just blown off and when you get right down to it, lied to.

Trying to decide what to say at the point that the nurse and/or doctor asks me if I am still having the problem of hot flashes and night sweats. My urge is to say "we seem to have established that this office feels that any problem like that is caused by my MS, so I don't really see any point in talking about it". I know that may see like cutting off my nose to spite my face, but unfortunately the damage of this has been done. I am in a MS flare and between my non-responsive gyno office and my not particularly helpful neuro I am just sort of stuck dealing with the results for the next few months.

I am not really keen on going on hormones at this point because I suspect that things will right themselves with a bit more time and I have such horrible side effects when I do medications that I just don't want to hassle with it. Would rather deal with the evil I know vs the evil I don't.

On another front, just to make life more interesting and challenging I have now discovered that I cannot use band aids or other adhesive items. I had a lumpectomy (not cancerous, which we knew prior to the removal) at the same time as the LSH and I am still blessed with welts and blisters every where I had a band aid. Where they put steri strips to close the breast incision I have bright red outlines. Not sure what a person does for this problem in the future, but I guess I will figure it out.
Unread 06-06-2011, 06:43 AM

before i had my surgery i was very concerned about menopause symptoms and my gyno told me that i will have symptoms for about 2 months or so, he said that my ovaries will just be a little wonky from moving around in there, but when they settle down then so will the symptoms, i hope that helped, take care
Unread 06-06-2011, 07:25 AM

Thanks raye101, I figured that is what is going on with me and if it were not for my MS I wouldn't worry about it. It truly was the BS of them telling me that doesn't happen that has got me rather annoyed with them. Had they acted when I first called they could have spared me months and months of a flare of of my MS symptoms.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register