New here...a few queestions! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here...a few queestions! New here...a few queestions!

Unread 10-31-2012, 01:58 PM
New here...a few queestions!

I'm Jaye. I'm a RN, and I'm 47 years old. I've put off this surgery for the past 2 years and am finally ready for it. Well, I think I'm ready.
A few questions....
I was thinking of leaving my cervix only because I've always had normal paps and I'm with the same husband I've been with for 20 years and will be for as long as I can see. So very low risk of cervical CA. Also my understanding is that there is a school of thought that keeping the cervix helps with pelvic floor support and less bladder issues. Am I correct?
I'm having ovaries removed as I've had a history of masses on them and my periods are naturally starting to space out, so they are slowly failing as is.
My doc is leaving it up to me as to how to go about it. Robot vs standard laparoscopic, cervix vs no cervix.
Suggestions? Stories? Advice?
Thank you, and I"m super glad to have found y'all!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2012, 03:38 PM
Re: New here...a few queestions!

Jaye,

You can find lots of info here, you came to the right place. Check out our Articles for more detailed answers to your questions.

I had a LSH/BSO and I'm pleased with that decision five years out. I kept my cervix mostly for the quick recovery. There are different opinions as to any support from leaving your cervix. Your bladder doesn't have as much trauma during the surgery if you keep your cervix but it still gets pushed around so bladder issues short term are possib
le. Long term it's probably similar to any type hyster.

Your ovaries can give you lots of important hormones for many years to come. Are you planning to use HRT if you have them removed. There are health concerns with no HRT and no ovaries so keeping them is worth considering. I was 55 when I had my surgery and still need HRT and probably will for many more years. It's an important decision, do your research.

Glad you found the site.

Unread 10-31-2012, 03:43 PM

Tell me more about HRT. I haven't given it much thought yet---I am having moderate menopausal symptoms now and am just beginning to think about it! Why do some women opt not to use HRT?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2012, 03:52 PM

Hi there. I am new here also and my surgery is scheduled for 12/18. I am having both ovaries removed. I don't know much yet but I will tell you what I do know.

Also, there I think that there is an HRT forum somewhere on here also.

I am 44 and having both ovaries removed. I have NO signs of menopause yet, so I will be thrown into immediate menopause. My Dr says it will be more severe then normal menopause, because naturally, you body works it's ways through the phases, whereas, my body will not have a gradual adjustment, but be thrown into the thick of it.

I think HRT therapy is purely a personal choice between you and your Dr. My doctor recommends it for me and said "please, don't suffer, let me help you through it"

Some people decide to do it natural, with the help of herbs and vitamins and supplements. I do believe that it is a nothing more than a personal choice based on how bad it is and how much assistance you will need to get past the worst of the hump.

I know it's not much info, but I hope it helps!!!
Unread 10-31-2012, 04:02 PM

I had LSH, kept ovaries and cervix. Had huge fibroids. I am very glad I kept my cervix! I'm a total wimp.... no tolerance for pain. I took 1 pain pill, more for sleep than pain. The "easy" recovery is due in part to my doctor's skill. The fact that I kept my cervix also made a difference.
Unread 10-31-2012, 06:35 PM

I am scheduled for surgery onNovember 19 and am having everything removed. I am 48 and have not experienced any symptoms of menopause. My doctor has recommended HRT to keep my bones healthy. My original thought was to go without hormones until I decided I needed them. However, my doc did not seem to think that was a good option. He said that there was nothing to the gel and it would assist with dealing with all of the symptoms. I now feel that this will be a good option unless the effects are too much to take. It is difficult to decide though because everyone has different experiences and opinions. I may be back in a few weeks time with a much stronger opinion.

Good luck on everyone. This Site is amazing.
Unread 10-31-2012, 06:55 PM

I had LSH which means kept overies and cervix and had it done Laperscopicly. Keeping the overies was a no brainer for me as am only 38 and far from menopause as my mother died from cancer at age 54 before even starting menopause. The cervix was another thing altogether. My mother's cancer was cervical so the fear was always there. Have always had negative paps and doctors said cervical cancer is rarely genetic. My surgeon also presented the pelvic floor support as a possibility only. He did not whole heartedly agree, but gave it as an opinion. In fact gave equal pros and cons. I decided to keep mine due to possible support of my back which I have issues with. I didn't have any real issues with the lap surgery, except for a seriously irritated ab muscle and from what I can tell that can happen with the robot (DaVinci) just as easily.

It's all personal preference and what you and your doctor decide. I would do your research though before you decide. I don't regret my decisions but think that is because of all my research I did BEFORE I decided on a hysterectomy. Good Luck!!
Unread 10-31-2012, 07:36 PM

Hello I am having a Da Vinci surgery Nov 19th and am having everything removed do to family history of cancer. I also am 53 and have been in menopause for 1 year. I did take some time to decide to have my cervix removed. I am opting for a spray that will release hormones as a presently am on a patch and pills as I have severe hot flashes and night sweats. I agree with everyone read all the information you can and discuss this thoroughly with your physician. Good luck.
Unread 10-31-2012, 09:14 PM

Jaye,

Some women opt not to use HRT for various reasons. Some have fear of cancer from an old study that is currently being debunked, some fear 'drugs,' others a history of endo. Endo, for example, can be fed by estrogen so some are afraid to use it. Some do use it. There are different opinions. I had fibroids, adeno and a little endo but my doc wanted me on HRT for at least five years. I haven't had any problems. Studies are showing some big benefits. Prevention of osteoporosis is one. There are many others.

Without HRT I have hot flashes, vaginal atrophy, insomnia, depression, my LDL goes up and my HDL goes down...I could go on. Sometimes it can be difficult to get it right but there are lots of options.

It's an individual decision. You should talk to your doc.
Unread 10-31-2012, 10:08 PM
New here...a few queestions!

Hi! I will be 38 next month & I have also always had normal Pap smears. I've been married 19 years...anyway I did have my cervix, uterus & tubes removed. I am one month post op & doing great. We decided to leave my ovaries since they were fine & I'm several years from menopause. (My hysterectomy was due to fibroids & enlarged uterus) I'm not sure how common it is, but some women have mini periods when keeping their cervix. I had my surgery TLH & only have 4 tiny incisions, & my recovery has been pretty easy. I'm glad I had this done...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register