Migraine and Cluster headaches since hysterectomy. Anyone else? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Migraine and Cluster headaches since hysterectomy. Anyone else? Migraine and Cluster headaches since hysterectomy. Anyone else?

Unread 12-16-2013, 08:36 AM
Migraine and Cluster headaches since hysterectomy. Anyone else?

I have been a suffer of both for many years. I believe tension headaches are in there as well, just never looked into it.

I have been suffering lots of headaches lately soon after my Hysterectomy. I take Imitrex for my Cluster and Migraine headaches now. I have been taking Advil for my (headaches) the seem to be triggering my Migraines and Cluster headaches. I can't seen to control them with the Imitrex now.

Is there someone out there that has these conditions that can maybe share what works for you?? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2013, 08:44 AM
Re: Migraine and Cluster headaches. Anyone else?

I've just started having headaches. I wish I could tell you what works. Did you ask your doctor?
Unread 12-16-2013, 08:46 AM

Are you taking any hrt medicine? I'm on Premarin...no more headaches/migraines. But I also didn't have headaches that often before my surgery, so they're definitely related to menopause for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndi21 View Post
Are you taking any hrt medicine? I'm on Premarin...no more headaches/migraines. But I also didn't have headaches that often before my surgery, so they're definitely related to menopause for me.
I have one ovary that seems to be doing it's job still. So there is no need for hrt, plus with my age if it was needed I wouldn't take it.
I have had Cluster headaches since I was 10 and was diagnosed with Migraines at 17. I feel like I have been having Tension headaches the last year or so. The headaches I'm getting now I am not familiar with, but they trigger my Migraines and Clusters like you wouldn't believe. I am a little less then a month out of surgery and was thinking surgery was triggering the headaches, but I'm starting to feel like there not because they're getting worst. I have not spoke with my doctor for that reason. I was hoping to be able to hold off until I see him for my 6 weeks post op on Jan 3, just need some way to combat it until them, so I don't feel like I have zero control.
Unread 12-16-2013, 09:10 AM

You may want to call. I've done so, and the nurse helped me over the phone.
Unread 12-16-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MywayMytime View Post
I have one ovary that seems to be doing it's job still. So there is no need for hrt, plus with my age if it was needed I wouldn't take it.
I have had Cluster headaches since I was 10 and was diagnosed with Migraines at 17. I feel like I have been having Tension headaches the last year or so. The headaches I'm getting now I am not familiar with, but they trigger my Migraines and Clusters like you wouldn't believe. I am a little less then a month out of surgery and was thinking surgery was triggering the headaches, but I'm starting to feel like there not because they're getting worst. I have not spoke with my doctor for that reason. I was hoping to be able to hold off until I see him for my 6 weeks post op on Jan 3, just need some way to combat it until them, so I don't feel like I have zero control.
I have one ovary left too. My dr said that since I'm 49, the surgery may have kick started my menopause anyway. Just curious...are your headaches mainly on one side? Mine were throbbing mostly to the left side of my temple...sensitive to light and any sound. You might want to consider talking to your dr or a nurse before your 6 wk appt.
Unread 12-16-2013, 09:28 AM

I have migraines. I can't take imitrex as I am allergic to sulfa drugs. For a while I took relpax but it caused too much chest pain so I stopped. What helped the most was topiramate (brand name topomax) taken every day prophylacticly. For breakthrough migraines I took 5mg percocet.
Unread 12-16-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MywayMytime View Post
I have been a suffer of both for many years. I believe tension headaches are in there as well, just never looked into it.

I have been suffering lots of headaches lately soon after my Hysterectomy. I take Imitrex for my Cluster and Migraine headaches now. I have been taking Advil for my (headaches) the seem to be triggering my Migraines and Cluster headaches. I can't seen to control them with the Imitrex now.

Is there someone out there that has these conditions that can maybe share what works for you?? Thanks!
I'm with you--my migraines had seemed to ease off, but at about 2 weeks post-op they seemed to come back, along with nausea. I've been taking imitrex, which works well, but I'm having some bladder pain, so have been taking advil, and I'm pretty sure that's causing rebound headaches. So frustrating... I look forward to seeing what is working for others.
Unread 12-16-2013, 11:01 AM

I have suffered migraines since I was 16, mostly hormonally and menstrual related. My headaches have actually decreased since my surgery. I have gone from daily headaches and approximately 10 migraines a month to probably 1 migraine a month. Right after my surgery, at about the 2 week period, I began to get headaches again, and it was worrisome, but just as with the pre-menstral syndrome and symptoms, the hot flashes, and other weird occurances, they began to decrease again as I recovered. All I can say is that you have to continue looking at all triggers and guarding against them. I take Maxalt MLT and because I only have to take it at the onset of the headache, I am not suffering any of the long term side effects of some meds (and over the years I have tried them all).
Increasing your water intake and exercising (walking daily for me) has also helped and I have also found that if I begin to get any kind of headache, a cup of black coffee often helps.
Unread 12-16-2013, 11:13 AM

I have been having daily headaches since my TAH 6 days ago. I notice it more when I'm lying down. My period should have been two days ago, so I wonder if my hormones are messing with me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register