Pain med question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain med question Pain med question

Unread 09-02-2012, 12:34 AM
Pain med question

Hi ladies,
I'm 11 days out and still feel awful. I have a house full Of kids and am very rushed to get better quick. I have had great help during the days from MIL, but Im still pooped and hurting begins as soon as I do anything.
I came home with Percocet and ibuprofen. 60 of them. I'm out all 11 days PO. I called my dr and ask her to call me in some more and the nurse acted so shocked blecause I needed more. She even said its rare a patient needs refuel on pain med. seriously? And that makes me feel like such a baby! I know I can take pain.. I've had 2 of my babies at home in my bathroom. No medication. None!! Like I said...I know what pain is. Anyway.. Because of pharm rules.. She couldn't call in a narcotic and we are about an hour away. So she called in hydrocodone. It's doing nothing!!
I hate to call back on tues morning ( holiday here) and ask for more. They act like I'm a pill head. I need them to relax and function. I cannot sleep at night a d during the day I am in pain.
I had hysterctomy, vaginal and uteran prolapse repair. She had to also use the animal grafts which is totally grossing me out. How do you handle the pain med subject and for how long have you/did you take pain med after surgery??
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-02-2012, 01:39 AM
Re: Pain med question

I am sorry that you are in pain but your body is going to heal on it own timetable and there is nothing anyone can do to speed that up. 11 days post-surgery is very early in a hysterectomy recovery and it definitely is not unusual to still have pain at this stage. Be aware though that pushing through the pain is simply going to make recovery longer and could cause any permanent damage. The initial healing period is often 6 to 8 weeks and it takes 6 months to a year to be completely healed. Yes, you read that right... 6 months to a year. So as you can see, you are at the very beginning of a long journey. Don't be afraid to call your doctor and explain to her how you are feeling. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.
Unread 09-02-2012, 03:13 AM

I hate that docs and nurses act like that. I feel that if someone is in pain and there is something they can do about it they should. 11 days is really early in recovery! I am still taking meds. My TAH was 7/26/12 and they had to go back in 8/23 for problems from surgery. If you are still needing meds by week 4, make them run tests to make sure everything is ok. I did and it probably saved my life. Good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-02-2012, 01:22 PM

Thanks for responses. I'm so glad I found this page. My mother in law told me the day after I can home that I needed to taper off the pain med. I just looked at her like she had 12 heads. People have no idea.
I stayed two nights in the hospital b/c I couldn't get my pain under control. The dr knows I have that problem.
Why make someone who needs pain med feel like a drug head. It's hard enough.
My hubby has been very good. Ive melted down a few times and he's been great. It's a emotional painful roller coaster for me.
Unread 09-02-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle8 View Post
Hi ladies,
I'm 11 days out and still feel awful. I have a house full Of kids and am very rushed to get better quick. I have had great help during the days from MIL, but Im still pooped and hurting begins as soon as I do anything.
I came home with Percocet and ibuprofen. 60 of them. I'm out all 11 days PO. I called my dr and ask her to call me in some more and the nurse acted so shocked blecause I needed more. She even said its rare a patient needs refuel on pain med. seriously? And that makes me feel like such a baby! I know I can take pain.. I've had 2 of my babies at home in my bathroom. No medication. None!! Like I said...I know what pain is. Anyway.. Because of pharm rules.. She couldn't call in a narcotic and we are about an hour away. So she called in hydrocodone. It's doing nothing!!
I hate to call back on tues morning ( holiday here) and ask for more. They act like I'm a pill head. I need them to relax and function. I cannot sleep at night a d during the day I am in pain.
I had hysterctomy, vaginal and uteran prolapse repair. She had to also use the animal grafts which is totally grossing me out. How do you handle the pain med subject and for how long have you/did you take pain med after surgery??
Thanks!
Michelle8- that is so upsetting the type of response you got! Don't let that stupid nurse get you down because she has no idea the pain you are going through! Everyone heals at different rates. I had my TAH and today is my 2nd day without pain meds. I was on my 3rd refill! My doc said "ok, but we will taper you off this last dose", which I haven't needed. I am now on Motrin.

So, don't let anyone make you feel a certain way! You need to control the pain so you can heal!

Unread 09-02-2012, 07:25 PM

I am so sorry you are having such pain! You can't heal if you are in constant pain let alone deal with the rest of your life. Unfortunately, because people have abused prescription drugs the doctors are making patients who really need them feel like drug addicts, it's awful. I would keep calling your doctor and don't wait until Tuesday - there has to be someone covering even if your doctor is off for the holiday weekend. Good luck - hugs to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register