Abdominal Binder | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Abdominal Binder Abdominal Binder

Unread 07-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Abdominal Binder

Is anyone using one, or has used one after the surgery? Does it help any? Thoughts please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2013, 04:18 PM
Re: Abdominal Binder

I had a tah/bso on June 10nth. I used a binder for about 10 days after surgery. I had a vertical incision that is 4 to 5 inches in length. The binder made it easier for me to sit up straight and stand up straight to walk.
Unread 07-14-2013, 04:28 PM

I realized I needed one during my first week, when I was getting a sore back from walking all hunched over and constantly holding my belly.

The binder helped me to walk better with less pain, and provided support throughout the day. At night, it allowed me to sleep on my side without the feeling that everything was hanging out and tugging/tearing.

I am 6 weeks out, and still wear it daily, but starting to rely on it less and less. It also helps pull in the swelly-belly when going out in public.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2013, 04:32 PM

Thank you ladies.. I think I'll have hubby run out and get one tomorrow.. Do you all sleep with them on also, and would a generic one from a drug store do, or do I need a specialized one?
Unread 07-14-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnaandj View Post
Thank you ladies.. I think I'll have hubby run out and get one tomorrow.. Do you all sleep with them on also, and would a generic one from a drug store do, or do I need a specialized one?
If your drug store has them specifically for abdominal support after surgery, it should be ok. Look for velcro closures, and latex free to avoid skin irritation. They may have different sizes, so measure your abdomen/belly area around the biggest part.

I sleep with mine ON.
Unread 07-14-2013, 04:50 PM

I bought one from the HS shop and extra cool packs. It came with two anyway but I purchased another 4. DH puts 4 in a cool pack at bedtime for when I wake up during the night so that I can change them over. They keep me cool from the unexpected night swears and also help reduce the swelling. I wear it the same way during the day and with temperatures reaching 30 degrees in the UK!!!! It's helping to keep me cool too (bonus)!! Lol. There is a thin pouch at the front of the pocket binder that the gel packs sit it.... It's totally amazing!! It might seem expensive but in hind sight its been worth the investment... I don't have to physically hold my tummy, it helps support me when I laugh (no peeing either now, phew) as I worried about doing any internal damage and also for sneezing.... BUY IT - and between the sofa and the binder they'll be your new best friends. I only purchased one binder and that is enough as its washable and can be tumble dried on low heat. It helps when you're first out walking to support your tummy area and help you remember to walk tall. Best of luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register