anxiety and panick attacks how long do they last - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anxiety and panick attacks how long do they last anxiety and panick attacks how long do they last

Unread 08-17-2009, 05:32 PM
Re: anxiety and panick attacks how long do they last

I started hot flashes and severe anxiety when my menopause symptoms first started last November. 4 weeks ago I had a TVH due to pre-cancerous polyps and have started Evamist which is delivered through the skin avoiding the liver. It has helped with the night sweats and anxiety. I will tell you that the anxiety was the absolute worst for me. I have learned that I have to try to function as best as I can and work through it. It does get better. I still have bad days, but not like before. I did keep my ovaries but they are affected by the surgery. I have read just about everything I get my hands on about hormones, which has helped me through many bad days. Sites like this are wonderful! Please keep reading and remember you are not alone!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2009, 05:40 PM

Hi, like many of you, I too am experiencing alot of unpleasant anxiety symptoms. I had my TAH June 23rd kept my one ovary. I recovered physically pretty good, except for a torn muscle, so still off work, but from about 3 wks post op noticed I would get periods of anxiety and feeling " fuzzy headed" like before my period. My breasts have been very swollen and tender, so I assumed my ovary was working, but I have continued to have this anxious, " not here feeling", which freaks me out. I used to suffer with anxiety attacks years ago, but this feels different, not the same symptoms. Could it be my ovary not working properly? Would a doc do a hormone level, and if so how accurate is it? Any input would be appreciated, I hate being in this fog. I am used to being a working, confident woman, not this nervous nelly that I seem to become at time. SOme days I get up, I am back to normal, then without warning it comes on me........
Unread 08-17-2009, 07:02 PM

It really helped my anxiety level to read this post today. I have been having increased anxiety & panic attacks since week 2 after surgery. I am on week six and my MD has me taking Symplex-F which seems to be helping me level out a bit. I also have these strange panicky feeling where I don't want to be alone & have to go find the room with hubby in it to feel more secure, which is VERY strange for me. Also still having spontaneous crying jags, but those are down from 2-3 per day to 2-3x per week. All these changes have been very frustrating, but good to know others are going thru the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2009, 07:16 PM

You are not alone!

My anxiety and panic attacks restarted in January when I began the peri-menopause journey. With the help of a good psychiatrist, an anxiety therapist, and countless tests to rule out anything else medical, I started Lexapro (5mg, then increased to 10mg) and it did wonders to quiet the anxiety and allow me to function better.

I was already predisposed to anxiety and panic attacks, so I am not surprised that its the symptom that nailed me for perimenopause.

I did have my levels tested however both GYNs (and a endocrinologist) said that they rely more on the symptoms that I was experiencing (irregular periods, disrupted sleep).

I had a TAH on 7/7 (originally scheduled for 7/14 but a necrotic fibroid was causing me too much pain landing me in the ER a few times) I did have nightsweats for about 5 nights after surgery but was also back in the hospital with an infection, so its hard to say what actually caused the sweats, another peri/menopause symptom.

I am now in Week 7 and feel some anxiety surfacing, but that could be because I will be back at work in two weeks and am a little anxious about it.

Its hard to say what is causing the problem...we go through so much after surgery and sometimes don't appreciate the healing that is going on behind the scenes that might be throwing our hormones out of whack.

I did also see a naturopathic doctor who suggested some supplements however I haven't restarted them since discontinuing before surgery. They are supposed to help me sleep, promote feelings of well being, etc. I haven't taken them long enough to determine if they are helping or not.

s
Unread 08-17-2009, 07:35 PM

I feel better evrytime I come to this site its awesome! I started using Xanx back in May, I had panic attacks and never knew that what it was until I would go to the ER and they would say if I knew what panicks sttacks were, they would check my heart do all kind of tests and evrythign thank God were fine But noone ever consider giving anything until this pass May and boy what a diference! I used to wake up w/night sweats and also will have an attack without warning. Best of luck everyone!
Unread 08-17-2009, 08:22 PM

Hi all, I too have anxiety issues. I have had anxiety for the past several years pretty bad. Took things like paxil, wellbutrin, buspar, and xanax pre op. I didn't like the side effects so i stopped all but the xanax when needed and I never take more than 2 in a day as I don't want to get addicted. I have noticed an increase in my anxiety post op and also my face breaking out like a teen ager also. I have an increase of chin hair too (gross!) I had the chin hair beofre surgery though due to PCOS but it has gotten worse. I have to pluck everyday now and it is causing cyst like acne on my chin area. It drives me crazy. I have not been released from my Dr at my 6wk check up yet, as it is just 5 weeks for me today. What usually helps is doing yoga but since i am still on restriction i haven't been able to do it. Anxiety is aweful because when you tell the Dr, they never take you seriously and can't understand what it feels like to have continuous heart palpatations, chest tightness, dizziness, feelings of fear, worry ect... It has taken me a lot of work to remember to breathe correctly during the anxiety attacks. I am now pretty certain that my hormones must have been off before surgery because I have been dealing with this for the last several years. So far post op, besides the acne, anxiety, and my only new symptom is hot flashes or flushes. It has to be hormonal. I keep trying to concentrate on positive things, but i truely understand what it feels like. I ahve been finding it hard to enjoy anything because the anxiety is always there. I don't regret the surgery though and i am feel stronger now 5 weeks out, but I just wish I could get the anxiety under control. I ahve heard effexor helps with not only anxiety, but also with the hot flashes. But I have not had the best of luck with SSRI drugs, too many side effects- especially sexual side effects. I like being intimate with my husband too much to have that zapped too. So I don't know if I want try it or not. I guess if it gets bad enough. I have been worring lately about having to take xanax whenever i go to a store. I really don't want to get into the habit of that. I suspect as you've been on it awhile, when it starts to wear off, you actually feel worse anxiety. That is why I limit it as much as possible.
I can't wait to be able to do my yoga again, that helped me so much. I just think my biggest problem has been having to lay low for the past 5 weeks. I'm feeling pretty good now but can't swim with my family on hot sunny days yet, can't take a soothing bath yet, can't practie my yoga techniques yet, all of which help me when I am feeling anxious. It sucks. I would love ot inject the Dr's with a dose of 1/2 the anxiety I deal with in a day and then see what they say when we walk in their offices and try to act brave and minimize our situations. Maybe it just takes time. Some women experience severe hot flashes, some night sweats, some anxiety, I guess it's just how you are wired. I am unable to take any HRT due to family history of female cancers, so I guess I just have to find a way to holistically deal with it...I wish each of you the best of luck and know you are not alone. It is very comforting to know I am not the only anxious person in the world after surgery like this. Thank you girls! Bless you all.
Unread 08-17-2009, 09:07 PM

It's been five yrs Since I had surgery and I still have anxiety and panick attacks along with depression. I am on several meds so it is depending on the person to how long it lasts. I am not on hormones Dr. says I dont need them, so this could be a factor. Take care. We are always here for support. Sisters always
Unread 08-19-2009, 01:57 PM

Def. not alone, my daughter used my razor and when I went to get a shower yesterday and nearly had a fit and cried. I am finding that if a feel under slightest rush, pressure or not in control of things, I will panic and wake up 4.00am and talk mysef into madness. Going to DR tomorrow to see what he says.
Unread 08-20-2009, 06:09 PM

I read that the progesterone was supposed to help with the anxiety attacks and night sweats. I'm having night sweats, but sleeping in the buff with only a sheet has helped those.
Unread 08-21-2009, 02:05 AM

I went to DR yesterday and told him how I was feeling and he said he thought I may be slightly depressed. My body has healed great but the shock of having the op and the hormone issue (surgical meno) may be effecting me mentally. He has given me another note for 2 weeks sick and I go back on 03.09.09, hopefully I will feel better then.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register