What to expect when I get home from hospital | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to expect when I get home from hospital What to expect when I get home from hospital

Unread 08-29-2002, 10:29 AM
What to expect when I get home from hospital

HI,
I am having a TVH/ cystocele/ rectocele repair on Sept. 9 (thank God I got an earlier date) and I am trying to find out what to kind of expect when I get home from the hospital, as far as how much I will be able to get around. I know it will not be much, of course. Will I be able to slowly go down stairs after a vaginal hysterectomy and all the rest. I know abdominal is alot harder, but wasnt sure about the vaginal approach. I also know I may have a catheter at home and have no idea how that will be, and how much help I will need. I could use the feedback. I wonder how many days after I get home should my husband take off work...that kind of stuff.
Thanks ladies, as always!
Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2002, 10:58 AM
Tvh old pro...

Hi Sue,
I had a tvh on June 17th , When I got home my worst pain was gas pain. I did stay in bed for about the first week. My husband took about 3 days off of work . he didn't need to do that. He was afraid I wouldn't stay in bed.He made me breakfast and other than that I was able to take care of myself.
Just make sure your dh knows ahead of time any foods that you HATE.

Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 08-29-2002, 11:20 AM
sue

Hi! I had a LAVH not a TVH 10 days ago. My experience has been really good. I did stay in bed about a week, even though I did get up some because I felt good. My room is upstairs and the Dr. said that was fine. It was slow going the first couple of days but now, almost back to normal on them.

Since I left the hospital (the next day) I have been just using ibuprofen and the first week, 1 percocet at night, more as pain prevention than relief. The past 4 days I haven't need ANYTHING!!!

My mom and husband have been very helpful as well as friends who brough food over! My DH took off about 3 days and then some 1/2 days after he picked the kids up from school. I still get tired and he is still doing almost everything though. I do wash dishes and put them up and fix the kids' hair in the a.m. Not too much else right now! Not because I can't, I just no I SHOULDN'T!! Want to heal well!!

Good luck with your surgery! Even if you feel good, keep it slow or none the first few weeks!

Christy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2002, 11:53 AM
Hi, Sue!

I'm scheduled for a LAVH on 9/9 in Colorado Springs! So we're surgery and state buddies.

I'm really glad to read Christy's post. Hopefully we'll have the same fast recovery. I know that I'm in a lot of pain now, so surely the pain of surgery can't be much worse.

My surgery is late in the day, so I'll be praying for all of my sisters that morning as I'm trying to distract myself from the nerves.
Unread 08-29-2002, 01:39 PM

I am also having surgery on the 9th. I am having a TVH done. Hope all goes well for us.

Diane
Unread 08-29-2002, 02:40 PM

Hi Sue! I'm a 9-09 surgery date also and I live in Colorado. It must be the day for us Coloradoans. Good luck to us all!
Unread 08-29-2002, 04:03 PM

We will all have to see how we are doing after the surgeries. I hope you are fine mentally! It aint easy!
Sue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register