What To Do About Decisions For Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What To Do About Decisions For Hysterectomy What To Do About Decisions For Hysterectomy

Unread 05-19-2004, 02:50 PM
What To Do About Decisions For Hysterectomy

Hi Everyone... I am going in tommorow to see my obgyn to discuss options for hysterectomy. I am not really sure about all of this or what questions I should ask her when I am there so I was wondering if anyone had any advice to what to ask. I am not sure if they will be doing a vaginal or abdominal surgery and the way they were talking over the phone before I made my appt. for tommorow they were talking about taking everything so I dont have to worry about anything anymore. I am concerned to what that will do to my body and what it will be like to have to take hormones since I will be 30 on May 29th. If anyone could share theyre experiences I would soooooooooo appriciate it. I am so so so scared to have this surgery I have heard so many horror storys and so many people say how terrible the pain is . I dont know what to do. Plus to boot my mom just found out that she has cervical dysplasia yesterday. WWhew... I dont mean to be raddling on but I am so scared and I dont know how to deal with all of this. Does anyone have any advice or ?'s I could take with me tommorow. Thank you to everyone who has been supportive in my other posts It means alot and I really mean that.

Thanks Again
Dee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2004, 03:09 PM

Hi Dee!

For a list of possible questions for your pre-op, may I suggest that you access the "Pre-Op Articles" on this site, and view Article #20. This should get you started on ideas for making your own list to take with you to the appointment.

Since you have heard so many "horror stories" which have scared you half to death, allow me to try to counter-balance those stories with the tale of my "Castle experience." The doctors, nurses and other hospital staff could not have possibly been better. Everyone was a sweet angel. My surgery went off without a hitch. My post-op pain was not torturous or intolerable, as I was given very effective pain medication. I had no side effects or post-op complications of any kind. HRT is nothing to be frightened of. Your doctor would not prescribe it to you if it were dangerous for you to take. Millions and millions of women like me are happy that HRT exists and that we have the option of taking it.

I'm sending positive thoughts you way! Good luck with your appointment tomorrow. Keep us posted!
Unread 05-19-2004, 03:27 PM

Along with the list of pre op questions already mentioned, the very first thread on this forum, an info/fyi has links to just about every alternative that there is.

Read and research as much as possible to help you, in conjunction with your DR make the best possible decisions for you.

Best wishes with your research and decision making!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2004, 03:29 PM

I say your damd if you do and damd if you dont
Unread 05-20-2004, 01:04 AM

Well tommorow I go in and talk to the doctor . I made a list of questions to ask but I have to say I am so afraid to do this. I laid in bed tonight and talked to the DH and expressed my fears... Are You going to still love me? If I dont want to have sex anymore will you cheat on me? What if this surgery leaves a scar that will make me look disqusting? Does all of these ?'s sound nuts? I feel like I am going crazy. I am so extremely afraid of this surgery and afraid maybe I wont wake up like some people say they are afraid of on here. I really just need someone to talk to and vent . I am sorry to be unloading all of this on my family , my babies and expecially all of you too.

Take Care and Thanks
dee
Unread 05-20-2004, 10:45 AM

Hi Dee,

No apologies needed ... so many of us have been in your shoes, we know what it feels like to be considering this surgery!

By now you may have seen your doctor. Be sure to fill us in on how that went. I think it's very normal to have the fears you express. While most gals do just great after a hyst, some do not. You have to weigh the pros and cons. If your fears really outweigh the good reasons to consider this surgery, then maybe this is not the time for you to take this step. Trust your instincts and make the decision that feels best for you. We'll do our best to provide support, whatever you decide.

Beth
Unread 05-21-2004, 01:53 AM

I had a very good experience with my hyst and I kept my cervix and ovaries.
a year after my surgery,my ovaries failed and I am now on HRT.My sex life is still normal and the scar is not noticeable.My stomatch is flatter than before the surgery.
I only have one concern for you:I am 47 and after 45,menopause is considered normal.You are only 30.
Unread 05-22-2004, 01:14 AM

well... you are right I am only 30 but... I have such a terrible history of overian and uterine cancer along with breast cancer in my imediate family I dont or I should say cant really afford to not concider a total hyster.... I dont know .... I do know this... I dont want to go through a partial and within a few years have to go back in and have surgery again and have to go through the whole recovery process again and maybe that time be on chemo.. that is my fear and being as though my family history is very detailed with cancer i cant afford to chance it...

I am not sure what I am going to do to tell you the truth. I have been torturing myself the last 3 days over it. I dont want to have to go through menapause when I am 30 but gosh I dont want to get cancer and I dont want to have to have surgery again.

Once again I am lost... I am so confused I just really dont know what to do .....

All Prayers Appriciated
Dee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register