How much walking do you do? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much walking do you do? How much walking do you do?

Unread 04-05-2008, 04:52 PM
How much walking do you do?

How much walking have you done? I find I can do some around the house but if I do too much I get so very tired. I wonder if I am not walking enough? I had a a & p repair so I have to take it a little more easy but still?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2008, 05:48 PM

At 3 days postop the only walking I did was back and forth to the bathroom. Granted, that was every 30 minutes to an hour, but that was enough to make me want to rest until I had to go again. After about a week, when I didn't need to go to the bathroom every hour, I made it a point to get up about every hour and walk around the inside of the house. At 2 weeks I made it to the mailbox.
Unread 04-05-2008, 05:57 PM

Hi Shellbear glad to see you on "this side".

the first few days after surgery I walked somewhat...I walked around my house back and forth...sat in the family room for a while, walked some more...rested in bed for a while, walked some more, etc....I tried to walk every hour more or less but I tried as much as I could not to lay in bed too much, to me the more I moved around was better for me.

listen to your body...do as you feel, that is what is right for you.

ps; after the first visit to my doctor after surgery, he said I had to increase my activities and this was after one week, so I visited my mom and came home, etc....did little errands with my DH, but I have not drove yet.

blessings,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2008, 07:35 PM

The first week I walked around my house. My Dr limited me to once a day up and down the stairs so I didn't walk to much. The second and third week I started doing small errands. Listen to your body and don't over do it and have a set back.
Unread 04-05-2008, 07:42 PM

Three days after my surgery I was "shuffling" down the hallway for about 10 minutes 3 times a day. I was really trying to focus on standing up as straight as possible and I really think that helped me a lot. Listen to your body. If you feel tired and rest. This isn't a sprint it's a marathon so take things at your own pace and don't try to compare your recovery to others. Doing that can make you have unrealistic expectations and you could try to do too much too soon!
Unread 04-05-2008, 08:23 PM

Thanks ladies this all means so much to me, I walked some this afternoon and Am. then I rest, I can totally tell when my body is saying NO MORE. thanks again
Unread 04-05-2008, 08:36 PM

Hey Shelley!

Take it from me, you probably won't feel much like walking far for a week or two or three! I finally walked my dog this week - shuffled around the block and it felt like my stitches were pulling and poking - painful! Then the next day it didn't hurt and the following day I almost felt back to normal, although it takes me longer to walk. Go really slow. Around 3 weeks I made the mistake of going to the mall because I needed to go to the bank and I wanted to go to Macy's to window shop. I did the bank fine and then walked down about 3/4 of the mall to Macy's. By the time I got there, I felt like my insides were going to drop out and everything was swollen. Needless to say, I didn't spend much time looking at things because I had to walk all the way back to my car. It is amazing how much things take out of you at first. You may feel pretty good inside but then when you go outside or to the store, it takes so much more energy. As someone else said, the first few days I got more exercise just walking back and forth from the bathroom. And remember, just sitting is considered an activity, so remember to change positions. Do you have a donut? It's been a lifesaver for me, esp. when I want to be on the computer.
Unread 04-05-2008, 08:39 PM

I have been trying to walk around my apartment throughout the day. Most trips are to the loo. I did a walk around the 6th floor of my apartment building twice today, with four passes around. The second walk was down in the skywalk connected to our apartment and we walked, slowly, about the distance across a ten lane freeway and back. Not sure how far that is, but it was across a freeway, so that's how I had to measure it...lol! As long as I put in some Ibuprofen and a little Percocet about a half-hour before the walk, I'm fine.

Well, a little achey-crampey, must mean it's another trip to the loo.

Later!
Unread 04-05-2008, 08:52 PM

My history is down below in my signature line.

But I'll be four weeks postop on Monday. Today was my first BIG outing....I went to Target and Michael's. I was gone a total of 1 1/2 hours. Came home and fell right back in bed. The pressure, pain, and exhaustion were very bad. I even had to take an 800 mg. ibuprofen. Thankfully, I've been off of pain killers since last week.
Unread 04-06-2008, 01:22 PM

Everyone handles this differently. I am coming up on 4 weeks post op in three days and I can tell you that I am handling the walking pretty well. Will even be starting on the treadmill tomorrow. I walk around my local mall and Walmart without many problems. Have to make alot of potty trips but other than that not too bad. Walked around the neighborhood yesterday 30mins at a slow pace with no problems. Listen to your body and start out with short bursts. 10mins here for awhile and then increase. You'll get there.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register