Is anyone's scar looking like this? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is anyone's scar looking like this? Is anyone's scar looking like this?

Unread 04-11-2005, 06:29 PM
Is anyone's scar looking like this?

I am 4 months post op and had a vertical incision. It is still pretty red and raised. My doctor said she could inject me with a shot that would flatten in out. Has anyone had this done? I also was wondering if maybe I should wait a little longer to see if it becomes less noticeable. Would love to hear from any sisters about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2005, 06:39 PM

Hi!

I also had a vertical incision with my surgery, and the scar was still reddish and raised at the four-month point in my recovery. With my doctor's approval I massaged the area gently several times each day with either Mederma or vitamin E oil. Eventually it all flattened and lost most of the discoloration. I think the regular massage action also helped restore the feeling to the area. My surgery was in July of 2003, and now my scar is barely visible in most places. That's pretty amazing considering I'm a fairskinned redhead who bruises and scars easily.

If I were you I'd let nature take its course rather than have the doctor make any injections. I'm a firm believer in letting the body heal by itself!
Unread 04-11-2005, 06:55 PM

Hi Pax,
Thanks for your reply. I have been putting Vit. E oil on it daily, but I will start massaging it as well. I also am a firm believer in letting nature takes it course, so I was happy to hear your answer and will continue on!
P.S. Did you massage the scar directly or around it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2005, 08:12 PM

Since the incision was completely healed, I massaged directly on the site and also around it. Parts of the incision felt "ropey", and eventually that raised ridge flattened and looked like the rest of the abdomen. Remember to keep your touch light and gentle! Good luck!
Unread 04-11-2005, 08:39 PM
scarring

Hi,
I had a horizontal incision, then followed up with a vertical abdominal incision due to hysterectomy complications. 2 months post-op I now look like a butterfly porkchop -- two pouches divided by an incision line. I am not overweight, so weight loss won't help.

Has anyone else had this happen, or have suggestions on how to reduce the pouches? My Dr. said cosmetic surgery, but I can't see myself going through surgery again. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks.
Unread 04-11-2005, 09:10 PM

Hi Oregano:

Not sure I can help in terms of those 'pouches', but I know what they look like. I had the same thing from a c-section 10 years ago. The scars are still quite obvious, but I never put anything on them. I'm not sure if it would have helped, the doctor did quite a number on me at the time, and the staples were left in longer than they should have been, so I can still see the points where the staples were. Luckily I'm not the bikini type!

Those 'pouches' did more or less disappear after a year or so, but I can still see an indentation where the vertical incision was. How bad yours is or will be probably depends on how good your surgeon was. And you might try some of the creams and massage as the others have suggested.

Holly

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register