Scheduled TAH Worried about surgical menopause! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Worried about surgical menopause! Worried about surgical menopause!

Unread 11-04-2010, 04:02 AM
Worried about surgical menopause!

My surgery is scheduled and all I can think about, right now, is what to expect from surgical menopause. I will have a full hysterectomy plus, both ovaries will be removed. I know it's different for everyone but I would really appreciate some information and words of wisdom regarding what to expect. When will it start? How long will it last? What symptoms are to be expected and how severe can those symptoms be? The only symptom I really have any information about is the hot flash. I know I won't really know anything until it happens but a heads up will help some of my anxiety! Thanks for all your help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2010, 06:16 AM
Re: Worried about surgical menopause!

Butterfly, I share your anxiety. I am scheduled for a LAVH on 11/16 as well. My remaining ovary and cervix are being removed as well. I have gone through about 9 surgeries so I'm not overly concerned with the procedure although I'm hopeful it can be done lap, praying the adhesions haven't taken over again.

I am apprehensive. I'm pretty much perimenopausal now with hot flashes, night sweats, difficulty sleeping, etc. I'm praying I find an HRT that works well and surgical menopause is just been needless worry.

Butterfly, have you had perimenopausal symptoms? I suppose I should have asked your age first...I just turned 44 and I know it is right around the corner anyway, just didn't want it to happen before God's timing.

Well, syster, we have 12 days to go. Whew, I just had a heart palpitation.

Many (((hugs))) and blessings

I'm glad you posted...hopefully someone can share information.
Unread 11-04-2010, 06:33 AM

Hi, i wish you well with your surgery. Dont be scared about surgical men. you will do just fine. Take each days as it comes; its hard to say what surgical men. is like because each person is differant in what they feel. Some feel all the symptoms of men. some only feel some and some feel none at all. i go thru night sweats most nights but not every night, hot flashes, etc... you just go thru them as they come if they come. with my night sweats i have learned that a sheet and comforter is ok but if its really cold outside and i add a blanket to the bed i end up kicking it off because i roast lol i also have learned for me that the best thing for me to sleep in is summer sleevless nightgowns very comfy this way if cold i can cover and be ok if hot i can take my arms out of the covers and cool down some. So hang in there (((hugs and best wishes for a speedy healthy recovery)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2010, 07:03 AM

Tomorrow will be 4 weeks since my surgery. So far the only symptoms I've had are night sweats. Wearing less and getting rid of a blanket at night took care of that. So far, so good. My plan is to deal with each symptom as it starts. It won't do me any good to worry about things before they happen. I can't take HRT so I'll be researching natural remedies as needed.
Unread 11-04-2010, 11:18 AM

I am one year post-op today. The only side effect I have had are the hot flashes. For me, they last about 5-6 minutes and then pass. I just wear light bedclothes and take blanket off and on as necessary through the night. I have a little fan on my desk for daytime flashes. I find them not really that objectionable and would rather have the hot flashes than all the painful periods I used to have!
Unread 11-04-2010, 01:09 PM

I just turned 35. have experienced minor hot flashes over the past few years. When my issues began, one of the thoughts was that I was starting early menopause but finally, a clear diagnosis has been found after 4 years of uncertainty, worry and frustration. I was bleeding heavily and constantly for the last 2 years and I finally found a doctor to take me seriously and send me for tests! My diagnosis is endometroid adencarcinoma stage 1 within the atypical complex hyperplasia. I am so relieved to have a diagnosis and that I can start dealing with it all and get myself healthy! It's a bummer that the treatment is surgery but I am thankful because I know it could be worse. I trust all will be well and I really look forward to no more bleeding and no more pain!!! Thank you, my sisters! I am so grateful to have found this site! It truly is a Godsend!!!

TAH BSO (11/16)
Unread 11-04-2010, 03:03 PM

hi! i am 40 and had a TAH 3 1/2 weeks ago...my plan was to keep 1 ovary, but when my dr. went in i had stage 3 endometriosis. was even adhered to my bowels. needless to say the 'good' ovary had to go also. hot flashes(mostly at night) and some 'crying spells' are all i have really dealt with.gave me an excuse to buy new (cooler) pj's! you will learn that certain foods will make flashes worse(spicy, hot, caffeine) it really isn't as bad as i had thought it would be. i am not taking HRT's.i am starting a natural program in few days. the crying spells? well, i just cry....and then it gets better! everyone is different and you will figure out what works best for you! i have to agree...i'd take the hot flashes and the few tears over the pain that i lived thru for years any day! i must add also that is thru much prayer and the grace of my God that i am coping(i do most of my crying to Him!)
MANY women that i have been in contact with in the last several weeks have told me how much better i will feel once my body heals and i adapt to the hormone changes..i'm clinging to a better day! take care
Unread 11-04-2010, 03:13 PM

I am two weeks post op of total hysterectomy. Main symptom is a hot flash followed by chills. Tearful at times, I went in today for my post op appt and asked for HRT. Doc said she would RX them on short term (2 years or less) d/t risks associated with HRT. Hot flashes not bad !!!
Unread 11-04-2010, 03:24 PM

Nearing my one year hysterversary...I started using estrogen in the hospital to prevent menopause issues...had a few hot flashes during my first 8 weeks post-op...when I went back to work I was freezing all the time (a first for me at work- a retail dept. mgr at that time), that soon changed though. Since that time I have become a housewife and quit my estrogen completely...have very few hot flashes or night sweats...!!!

I am concerned about osteoporosis (now that I'm not using estrogen), so will soon head to to talk about preventing the osteoporosis (my mom has it)!
I haven't had the surgical menopause issues that I so worried about when I was preparing for my hyster,...which I like to believe is because I quit my stressful job (5 mos after surgery) to lead a relaxing life!!! Yes we all feel/heal differently so it can/will be different for each one of us!!! Hope this helps my fellow sisters....

I used Estrogel 2 pumps daily (morning/evening) to start with for almost 4 mos, then switched to the Vivielle Dot 1mg for 6 mos. liked the gel best...but the patch was more convenient!!!
Unread 11-04-2010, 06:17 PM

Oh so comforting to hear that surgical menopause symptoms may not be any worse than what I am experiencing now. I have worn a sleeveless lightweight gown for years because of night sweats. My poor husband is cold natured, but such a good sport...he just turns up the celing fan and crawls under all the blankies so they are right under his chin. So cute! All the while I am walking around the bedroom, fanning my gown trying to cool off! What a pair! lol
Thank you all for sharing your experience!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register