How long until you could sleep on your side? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long until you could sleep on your side? How long until you could sleep on your side?

Unread 10-27-2011, 04:50 PM
How long until you could sleep on your side?

A bit of history: c-section in 1999, 3 laps to remove ovarian cysts between 1997-09, tubal ligation and endometrial ablation in 2010, left ovary removed due to complex cyst and no blood flow to ovary a month ago.

I am 9 days post op. I had a TAB, Appendectomy and they also "ran my lower intestines" after finding a 4.9 cm cyst and a 9.1 cm mass on my right ovary a week after my oopherectomy.

Surgery went for 4 hours as expected, normal time in recovery room. I was supposed to go home 4 days after surgery but due to gas pain and inability to pass gas or have a bm kept me for 6 days.

I was released and am staying at my mom's since she has a ranch instead of a two story like I do. I'm down to 1-2 percocets a day. Walking slowly every hour or so. Took my first at home shower yesterday. That was exhausting and painful on my back. I've had lots of back pain. Still have next to no appetite. The gas pain is still pretty crummy but I have been having BM's. Have been sleeping propped up in bed with tons of pillows and spending my afternoons out in the living room in a recliner.

I can still only sleep on my back. Now that my pain meds are much reduced this is becoming a big issue. I have ALWAYS sleep on my side with one knee kicked up. In addition to the back pain, hot flashes, and general achyness, I also have this insomnia that I'm hoping is because I can't sleep on my side.

How long until you could sleep in another position that on your back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Re: How long until you could sleep on your side?

I was able to sleep on my side right away as long as I rolled onto my side slowly and put a pillow between my knees. I'm 14 weeks post op and just started to be able to kick that one knee up. A body pillow is helpful if you have one.
Unread 10-27-2011, 05:09 PM

I had an LSH, and I think it was post-op day 2 or 3 when I slept on my side for the first time. I'm NOT a back sleeper, so trying to do so was horrid!

Wishing you all the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2011, 05:16 PM

It took me about 9 days. Before then I tried a bit but when I'd wake up an hour later things really hurt. I still use pillows to get just so otherwise its not comfortable. Had a LAVH due to watermelon size fibroid.
Unread 10-27-2011, 05:19 PM

Hi, I am 3 weeks post op. I started sleeping on my side after 2 weeks with a cushion pushed under my belly to stop it from pulling/flopping! onto the bed. The problem I have is that I have to swap sides quite a lot. I still can't sleep solidly through a full night.
Unread 10-27-2011, 05:20 PM

Hello, hoping you feel better soon. Gas X worked wonders for me. I'm 5 weeks out and still hve pain with gas occasionally and the gasx really works to calm your tummy.
I'm a side sleeper and wasn't able to comfortably sleep on my side until last week. It was like all of a sudden I woke up and was on my side without pain. I still do have twinges but sooo much better. I used lots of pillows under each side and one under my knees when I slept on my back, it helped.
Hope you feel better soon
Unread 10-27-2011, 05:47 PM

I had a lavh on october 3rd, day 3 I was totally sleeping on side, in hospital i was propped a little to side and day two i was a little but slept in my recliner the day 2 I was home.
SO basically it was day three and every day after. I can only sleep on my side, unless I am sick sometims I wake up on my back. If one side is sensitive for some reason I go to the other side.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register