Bingo ! I've got a 6 month wait, how much does it cost to go privately in the UK ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bingo ! I've got a 6 month wait, how much does it cost to go privately in the UK ? Bingo ! I've got a 6 month wait, how much does it cost to go privately in the UK ?

Unread 07-14-2004, 04:13 AM
Bingo ! I've got a 6 month wait, how much does it cost to go privately in the UK ?

Just been on to the hospital, it's a six month wait ! My consultant had not put me on the waiting list !!The admissions lady said that wasn't too bad !! Aarghh !! I'm p...d off because I thought the surgery would happen after three months of Zoladex !! i.e Sept !! Not so !!

She said she would put me through to the finance office of the private suite if I wanted to find out how much it would cost privately. Anyone know how much a hyster is without insurance ?

Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2004, 04:26 AM
Bingo ! I've got a 6 month wait, how much does it cost to go privately in the UK ?

I just checked out a well known UK health care insurance for you, it works out between £3000 & £4400 here in the UK depending on which Hops you go to. (it changes between Hosp) This is if you are doing self payment as they call it.

Well beyond my means I'm afraid :cry:
Unread 07-14-2004, 04:28 AM

Thanks.......... mine too Tanis. I'm not working at the moment because I have ME !

Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2004, 04:33 AM

Hi sue
make sure they have your on the list for a cancellation , you never know my op wasn't due till december and i have it on friday now. also have a word with your GP they can write and ask for an earlyer date if they think its needed.
thinking of you
Alison
Unread 07-14-2004, 05:17 AM

My recent hyster cost £3998 as a fixed price package....the missing £2 amused me - then I got a letter from the hospital telling me they provide a complimentarynewspaper!!!

It may be cheaper for you in a private suite of the NHS. Worth finding out. And yes, get on the cancellation list.
Unread 07-14-2004, 05:24 AM

Thanks Scriv. After emergency admission, I ended up in the private suite at the local NHS hospital in April cos there were no NHS beds. I didn't pay a thing, en suite shower, daily paper, TV, VHS player, the chef visiting me twice a day for my food requirements !! Now I know what the others were paying !! Mind you I did the miss the hustle bustle of the ward routine, Casuality, Holby and ER all in one and quite 'entertaining'. I was a bit boxed in in my private room !!

Thanks for your advice on waiting lists. I go on holiday in August for two weeks, shall I ask to be put on the list before ie. telling them when I am on holiday or when i return ? I know they can be a bit funny with rules and regulations !!
Unread 07-14-2004, 05:34 AM

with all this talk of 'going private' I just ran g my hosp to see where I was on the list, I was told by a very nice admissions officer that if things keep going as they have been I may have to wait untill Jan 05! :cry:
Saying that she then told me that I was high on the cancellation list because I was willing to do very short notice admission (this means if I got called to do a pre admission for tomorrow to go in next monday I could do it)
She then explained to me that if for any reason I could not accept a cancellation, like going on Hols, they would put me back on the cancellation list.
She then told me to ring back in Mid August to find out if anything was happening yet (that is if I hadn't heard anything yet)

So my advice to you is go on the list now, if one comes up just before you go on Hols you can say no & stay on the list.
Unread 07-14-2004, 06:00 AM

Can't believe how long you are all waiting, I had an appt to see doc on Thurs 8th Apr and he gave me an date of 12th May and that included 3 bank holidays. I was not an urgent case either just needed it doing. Six months is far to long especially if it is affecting your quality of life, but defo go on the cancellation list.

Pezzer
Unread 07-14-2004, 06:43 AM

Now we know from our own personal survey why the gov is making waiting lists a priority !! It is very much a postcode lottery !! My local hospital was slated during a recent 'inspection' for its long waiting lists.

The admissions lady was very pleasant when I spoke to her, obviously there is a bit of political stuff going on because the consultant can't chose the date, it is the Trust who make the decisions , maybe they massage the lists in the process !!
Unread 07-14-2004, 06:46 AM

Once again it must come down to the area lived in.

I saw the gp (a kind of 2nd opinion/recommendation of a gyn nurse friend) late June/early July last year who wrote for referral to the castle. He said from seeing them in about 3 months it would be a further 8 months on the waiting list.

I saw the gyn in October who echoed my gp on waiting list time so expected for my op from may to july this year but said "yes PLEASE for a cancellation. I got my letter through in early december giving me a mid-january date which I obviously took!!

I thought I'd got a cancellation as it came through so quickly but after chatting to others on the ward, we all got our letters at the same time. I can't see them having 4 cancellations for the same week?!

I'll keep fingers and toes crossed for you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register