help my hair is falling out!!! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

help my hair is falling out!!! help my hair is falling out!!!

Unread 06-09-2006, 05:54 PM
help my hair is falling out!!!

Hi puggielover: of course that's your main problem...you and your puggies both now have the same problem...shedding!

But seriously, hair loss is caused normally by three things: stress, low thyroid (TSH) or anemia. If your TSH is low, generally you are also cold and gain weight.

Yes the anesthetic does cause hair loss as does the medication we've all been on. And most of us were anemic preop. And stress? Who we kidding! Welcome to our world!

My hair was falling out in gobs too post op..stopped washing it in the shower and resorted to the sink as there was more hair on my naked shoulders than on my head or so it seemed. Saw my hairdresser last week (wk 5) and she said it could take 8 wks. Dr sortof concurred.

So yes check with your dr and it's always a good idea to have your TSH and hgb done anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2006, 10:01 AM

Well I am having the same problem here. My hair is coming out in clumps. I am not taking HRT due to severe endo. prior to surgery. I had my thyroid checked and it was normal. I am 27 and my hair is half way down my back and very thick, but I consider my hair to be one of my best features. Its extremely upsetting. I have actually quit washing it as often because I dread seeing all the hair in the tub. Other then that I feel fantastic physically and emotionally. I had THV with BSO. I am glad my menopausal symptons have been minimal. Does anyone know of a vitamin or something natural that may help?There is NO WAY I am chopping my hair off!!
Unread 06-10-2006, 12:50 PM

The shock of surgery can make you lose hair. I was upset because I was losing hair before my surgery...then I realized I had knee surgery in February!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2006, 06:52 PM

I had the same problem with the hair loss, in handfuls both when I washed my hair and when I brushed it. It did stop for me just in the last week or so which would be about 7 weeks after surgery. I believe it is the result of the anesthetic and the pain killers, they both wreak havoc on the body - very dry skin also at first! I had a full hysterectomy and am on an estrogen patch that seems to be working pretty well, no hot flashes or mood swings (yet). Check with your Doc, especially if it doesn't stop soon.
Unread 06-10-2006, 09:11 PM

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but last year I began to take spirinolactone, which is a diuretic usually prescribed for congestive heart failure. My endocrinologist prescribed because one of the side effects is that it overstimulates one of the enzymes produced off the adrenal gland, which was lacking in my case and causing unwanted facial hair growth, among other symptoms of PCOS. Anyways, initially upon taking the medication, I started to lose hair....everywhere. Had my hair cut a certain way to cover the spots, etc. Lost all my pubic hair, didn't have to shave my legs for months (okay so there was one good thing ).

Okay, so maybe TMI, but my point is there could be other medications that unknowingly contribute to hairloss that are unrelated to hormones, like a diuretic.

Either way, it's debillitating.
Unread 06-10-2006, 09:51 PM

i had this same problem prior to my surgery. doc said it was from stress prior surgery. but anyhow it started growing back in little stubbles..so i was happy..he said stress can do terrible things. but now after my surgery my hair is really dry..but on the upside it did grow back so im glad
Unread 06-10-2006, 10:00 PM

What type of medicine are you taking? I feel horrible your hair is falling out. Have you called your doctor?

Sherry
Unread 06-13-2006, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1coltsfan
What type of medicine are you taking? I feel horrible your hair is falling out. Have you called your doctor?

Sherry
im not on any meds because i had severe endo. she didnt want to put me on hrt's because it may cause the endo to grow back.
Unread 06-13-2006, 08:44 AM

It is common for the stress and meds related to surgery to cause our hair to thin out. My hair was thinning before surgery from anemia and PCOS, but if your symptom didn't develop until after your surgery, then it is likely that it was caused by the surgery, and soon it will thicken up again

For more information about PCOS you can visit www.soulcysters.com .

Kay
Unread 06-13-2006, 09:01 AM

After my surgery I had bad hair loss also. Thought I was gonna go bald. Started taking Vitamin B6 - advice of doc. and after about a couple weeks it completely stopped. Good luck. It is worth a try.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register