My surgery is TOMORROW... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My surgery is TOMORROW... My surgery is TOMORROW...

Unread 05-16-2012, 03:47 AM
My surgery is TOMORROW...

I am still trying to wrap my brain around it.

I go from freaking out to looking forward(after recovery) to being pain free...at least better than life is now.

This will be my 5th open stomach surgery in 5 years starting with a fibroid being removed in 07 the size of a football.
I never completely healed from the vertical incision and have had 3 failed hernia repairs. Now I have another fibroid the size of a grapefruit as of 3 months ago.

So tomorrow I am having the fibroid removed, a hysterectomy(without removing my ovaries), AND a more invasive hernia repair called component separation surgery that is "suppose" to be the "once and for all fix".

I use to feel like I was a strong women...now I don't feel so strong at all. I cry all the time and feel I am constantly "missing" my life.

I have read MANY post and hope to find support here...I REALLY need it. *sniff*

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2012, 04:13 AM
Re: My surgery is TOMORROW...

You have my support. I think you are incredibly strong to have endured all of those surgeries. Mine is Friday and iv turned into a real anxious and at times cry baby in the last few days. Its all a bit surreal. Iv never had any surgery before and its a scary time. I can only hope that we will give glowing reports like the other ladies have this time next week. Be strong and good luck x
Unread 05-16-2012, 04:37 AM

Thanks, Rainbow Bright

Good Luck to you as well.
On one hand not having surgery before is more scary since the mind can go anywhere. Having had several surgeries I know what to expect and that is what scares me.

As soon as I get there for the surgery I tell them I am having very high anxiety(because I do) and they give me something as soon as I get my IV. That's my best advice to you. One surgery was scheduled for 8 but didn't happen until 12. Luckily I was in lala land with my happy drugs and could have cared less. Now they know me and I get it BEFORE I melt down.

With me I try to take it one day at a time. The first day...hour by hour. I also have to get something to help me sleep because narcotic pain medicine keeps me wide awake. When you are recovering sleep is the best escape so if you have trouble sleeping get something sooner than later.

I hope and pray next week we are both recovering well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2012, 06:32 AM

Another quick comment. My pre-op was Monday and my Dr. didn't bring up the vaginal cuff. If I am getting a full hysterectomy which removes the cervix does that mean I automatically get a vaginal cuff? I am wondering why he never told me about this at all?
Unread 05-16-2012, 06:50 AM

be strong, i wil be praying for you
Unread 05-16-2012, 06:56 AM

I wish you good luck with your surgery tomorow...if I would have stayed with my first surgeon I would have been going in tomorrow also...and kind of wish it were still...but after getting a second opinion I chose to go with doc #2 because I believe he is more experienced and from recommendations I believe (and hope) more skill.

I hope I made the right choice...I am not sure about the vaginal cuff but I believe they automatic with cervix removal...I originally opted for a subtotal but after doing further readin - I am not sure what to do now...<sigh> this is THE most complicated and terrifying thing ever.

My mom had a hysterectomy due to fibroids 30 years ago...but silly me I thought they were just something that she had that was rare...I never heard of anyone else having them (unless I was just clueless) until my doc said I them!!! I had no idea I was going to be faced with these decisions...and quite frankly I don't like it!

You will be fine...good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery

Marzy
Unread 05-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Re: Wichita KS

Booca,

I am 8 days out from surgery and feeling pretty good. I had the robot assisted surgery and the recovery has been very tolerable. My surgery lasted 4 hours and was 2 hours in recovery. Dr. <> was my doctor. He wasn't able to remove my uterus through the incision sites but was able to avoid the abdominal cut, so I was very greatful. I was on Percocet and Ibuprophen for pain. Make sure you do stay on top of your pain meds, especially the first two days home from the hospital. Be prepared for a lot of shoulder pain from the air they have to pump into your abdomn, so take slow short walks around the house, even if it hurts, it helps the gas pass faster. I started taking a stool softener on day tool and continue to take 2 a day even now. The bowel prep is gross, but hopefully you've started it NOW. It didn't work as fast as it should have for me so I only got about 3 hours of sleep the night before surgery because of it. By day 4 I was feeling considerably well, so hubby and I got out for about an hour but as soon as came home I spent the rest of the day down and relaxing. I've spent the last few days getting my sleep schedule back in order. Lots of cat naps and pain meds threw my sleep schedule WAY off. If you're like me letting others do for you has been difficult but let them!! When you get home, make sure you have enough pillows to keep your upper body propped up as much as possible or the gas pain will get to you, and plan on the first couple of days to be tossing and turning just trying to find a comfortable position. Pillow under the knees helps if your a back sleeper and between your knees if your a side sleeper. I've been able to hang out in my recliner to watch TV and it was actually more comfortable than my bed for the first few days. If you have a heating pad, get it out and have it ready. It helps with the swelly belly and with any back pain you have. I know this is a lot of information, but I know it will help! This site was very helpful and provided me with a lot of the information I just gave to you. Everything will go well, so as "scary" as major surgery is, you DEFINATELY feel better quickly. Let me know how everything goes, don't hesitate to ask ANY questions, even if you think they are too personal or "gross". I'll light a green candle for you today and tomorrow. Good luck and I look forward to hearing from you in a couple of days.

Saundra
Unread 05-16-2012, 04:22 PM

Thinking of you and praying all goes wonderfully and in a few weeks you are enjoying your wonderful life!!!
Unread 05-16-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booca View Post
Thanks, Rainbow Bright

Good Luck to you as well.
On one hand not having surgery before is more scary since the mind can go anywhere. Having had several surgeries I know what to expect and that is what scares me.

As soon as I get there for the surgery I tell them I am having very high anxiety(because I do) and they give me something as soon as I get my IV. That's my best advice to you. One surgery was scheduled for 8 but didn't happen until 12. Luckily I was in lala land with my happy drugs and could have cared less. Now they know me and I get it BEFORE I melt down.

I hope and pray next week we are both recovering well.
Haha your first paragraph made me laugh I like your honesty. At my pre op I explained my anxiety and they have noted me down for some meds prior, Thank goodness.

Well as im typing this and feeling much like you were yesterday, you will probally be in the hospital, maybe even in your lala land. Thinking of you. All the best
Unread 05-16-2012, 08:14 PM

Sending prayers and happy healing thoughts your way!! PS I think you are incredibly strong!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register