Pre-hysterectomy hysteroscopy/D&C - anyone else? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-hysterectomy hysteroscopy/D&C - anyone else? Pre-hysterectomy hysteroscopy/D&C - anyone else?

Unread 02-13-2015, 01:16 AM
Pre-hysterectomy hysteroscopy/D&C - anyone else?

Hi ladies!

I am waiting for a call to have a hysteroscopy and d&c within the month. I am not too psyched about that. My hysterectomy will be postponed til possibly June due to the fact that I recently had pulmonary emboli, and the hysterectomy would not be safe now. This onc/gyn is great. She was planning hysterectomy for me even before she found the ovarian cyst. But now the hysterectomy is more urgent due to the finding.

Have any of you had the hysteroscopy/d&c? Were you awake? How did it go?

I have fibroids and had an endometrioma... tilted uterus. Pain & bleeding with sex, bloating, vomiting, diarrhea, etc etc plus other things since my health is not great. I just don't want to keep going on with this stuff and suffer more. I have to buck up and deal cause it's happening whether I like it or not.. lol..

Sorry for moaning... I don't know who to talk to. I am just worried and have a long way to go to try to keep it together. And I am still recovering from the clots.. yucko!

Anyhow, I hope you are all ok with all that you are going through as well.. and thanks so much for listening

Sorry to be a downer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2015, 06:23 AM
Re: Pre-hysterectomy hysteroscopy/D&C - anyone else?

Hi, I'm waiting for a hysteroscopy, too. After that, I'm not sure but since I'm 61 and they found what looks like a fibroid, I think a hysterectomy is a possibility.

Anyway, I can relate to your frustrations, I've had lots of problems over the years, too. I really glad for this site because I know I'm going to have more and more questions as time passes and there's so much information on here.

I've been venting, too...
Unread 02-13-2015, 06:50 AM

My surgeon wanted to do an endometrial biopsy and D&C prior to my surgery. I've had endometrial biopsy before and did not want any of this done while I was awake. Since they already knew I had fibroids and planned a hysterectomy, I told them to do the biopsy and D&C while I was under and before the hysterectomy, so they did and I'm happy. The reason, as I understand, for these procedures is so the pathologist can go through the tissues and r/o endometrial cancer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2015, 08:13 AM

I had a hysteroscopy/D&C after my gyn's attempt to do an endometrial biopsy failed. That's how my endometrial cancer was diagnosed and why I ended up having a hysterectomy.

The D&C was no big deal. I was put under "twilight sedation" and was in the OR for less than an hour. My boss picked me up and drove me home. I had a bowl of oatmeal and went to bed.

The next morning I slept in w/ my boss' permission. When I got up, I had some more oatmeal, a mug of strong coffee and a couple of ibuprofen. Then I walked a mile and half to work and worked the afternoon and evening shifts. It was no problem at all.

My gyn prescribed misoprostol tablets for my D&C, two to go up my vagina the night before and two more to go up there the morning of. This was to help dilate the cervix. You might ask your gyn about prescribing these. They're cheap.
Unread 02-13-2015, 10:36 AM

I had mine done at the same time as a diagnostic lap, so I was definitely out for it. I bled like crazy afterwards I hope it all goes well for you
Unread 02-13-2015, 11:21 AM

I had a hysteriscopy and d&c. I was really upset and didn't want to do it because I thought there was no point. My gyn convinced me that was important so I reluctantly agreed. It was not at all bad, despite my anxiety. They took me back, did an ekg, bloodwork, I talked to the anesthesiologist and asked if he could give me a really light sedation. He was great and agreed. I was wheeled into the or, and vaguely heard people talking with no idea what they were saying. Next thing I knew I heard someone say "you're done" and I was alert. I felt completely fine afterwards, never even took a Motrin.
Unread 02-13-2015, 01:20 PM

Hi RL, I hope your procedure goes well too!!! Yes, it is nice to have somewhere to talk about things. It's important, which I am now realizing I hope you are ok and dont need the hysterectomy. When do you go?
VegaLady, I am so glad you were asleep!!! yes, that is what I am praying for! I am going to email the PA and ask her, because worrying about being awake will send me into a tizzy!! I am glad they put you under!
Surpised... wow, you have been through a lot. It sounds like you tolerated it extremely well which is good to hear. I am very sorry about your dx. How are you doing? Are you in remission now? Yes, I am afraid of what they will find with the new complex cyst. Just the fact that she was ready to do the hysterectomy asap has me worried. I pray you are well. You sound very strong
cstine... i am so sorry you bled so much. That is awful. I am wondering about that since I am on anti-coags and bleed like crazy now. I cannot control the flow. I m glad you were out too! Sounds like that is the norm... phew!
Coughy.. excellent!!! Yours went so well!!! I think it also depends on the doc and their skill... sounds like you were in good hands. Did they find anything??

I don't know what to expect. If it's a complex septated cyst, can it regress or shrink? Maybe it will just go away? lol. I saw that they scrape the lining of the uterus checking for cells. I am worried that I have had symptoms for 7 years and they will find something. Even though I know rationally, that the chances are very low. I can't believe I have to wait another month.... ugh. But thank you for all the information about your experiences.... if I am under as well, I think it will be fine. But I clearly have anxiety issues... lol. I cannot wait for the day when I no longer have a period though. Again, terrified about the hysterectomy, but I just hope it brings me relief. Now I get my period every 2 weeks or so, it's a nightmare!!! My body doesn't know what it's doing anymore!! lol.
Stay well everyone.... and good luck on upcoming procedures too. I'll be back to ask more for sure, but you have put my mind at ease, so thank you. Now, I just hope they don't find anything...
xoxoxo
Unread 02-13-2015, 02:06 PM

Hi, my hysteroscopy has not be scheduled, yet. I know I will be out because that's the first thing I asked! They tried to do a biopsy on me once without meds and I jumped off the table. Talked them into a D&C instead. It was really easy, except that when I woke up I had to pee really bad. The nurse kept telling me I was nuts because I had a catheter, but when she checked it was kinked so nothing could go into the bag.

I am hoping that maybe they can take out whatever they find when I'm under, but I don't know how realistic that is....since I'm 61 they may say that I need to have a hysterectomy no matter what. I guess having a fibroid at my age isn't a good sign. And my family history doesn't help.

This site is the best. I am so thankful for it and all the people that give their time because they care about others. We women go through a lot. I'm so glad we can stick together.
Unread 02-13-2015, 02:23 PM

RL I just read last night that they can switch to surgical hysteroscopy while they are in there if they need to. So, maybe they can remove something if they find it. But I don't actually know, I had just read that. It's horrible that they didn't believe you when you had to pee. We are not nuts, we know what is going on with our bodies! I had a kolposcopy once, but that was ok.. it didn't hurt and I did expect to jump off the table, but she was very careful with me. We have to stand up for ourselves, they do not always realize that we are in pain or that they should try a different approach to make these things easier for us. Which is too bad. Especially in this department. It's not easy stuff. I didn't know that they would be concerned over fibroids, at any age. I know the risk is higher after menopause, but didn't think they would do a hysterectomy for fibroids That is too bad. I just hope they don't find anything... I am sure you will be fine You have a family history? I'm sorry.. I know you must be stressed..ugh.. try to hang in there and hopefully they will contact you soon with the appt., so you can get it over with. I am glad you are here and that we can talk to one another... hang in!!!
Headed to pharmacy now to get my 500mg naproxen! lol. Ouch!!!!
xoxo
Unread 02-13-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsanddip View Post
Surpised... wow, you have been through a lot. It sounds like you tolerated it extremely well which is good to hear. I am very sorry about your dx. How are you doing? Are you in remission now? Yes, I am afraid of what they will find with the new complex cyst. Just the fact that she was ready to do the hysterectomy asap has me worried. I pray you are well. You sound very strong
I'm not sure I'm strong. I think I'm just really practical. :-)

After surgery at the end of May 2013, my gyn oncologist and I found out that my cancer had been caught at a very early stage, stage 1A. So we figured, great, it's gone, no further treatment necessary.

Wrong! Nine months later I noticed some bleeding. The cancer was back. This past summer I had six weeks of radiation accompanied by low-dose chemo. My last treatment was about seven months ago.

Now it's a bit of a waiting game to see if I have a second recurrence or not. But if I do, we're not out of things to try yet! I can't have radiation again, but I can have a different type of chemo. Sometimes cells that survive one type will be wiped out by another. If I *do* get another recurrence, I'll deal with it.

In the meantime I'm healthy, I'm active, I've shovelled my way out of two blizzards and we're supposed to have a third blowing in this Sunday. So life's good.

Remember that whatever your doc finds, she's going to have ideas as to how to deal with. You're not alone and, if it comes down to a fight against cancer, you're not unarmed. :-)

Quote:
I saw that they scrape the lining of the uterus checking for cells.
D&C stands for dilation and curettage. Dilation as in, they dilate your cervix to access your uterus. "Curettage" comes from the French word curer, to scrape out or clean out.

A D&C is often done in conjunction with a hysteroscopy. That means a fibre optic cable is put up through your cervix into your uterus in order to transmit images. Instead of just blindly scraping around, the doctor can see what she's doing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register