Looking forward to my surgery! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Looking forward to my surgery! Looking forward to my surgery!

Unread 06-18-2010, 06:20 PM
Looking forward to my surgery!

Hello, HysterSisters! This is my first post.

I've suffered from long, heavy menstrual bleeding off and on through the years, and finally at age 40 it's become too much. My problem: 4 large fibroids (the largest is 17 cm).

My doc reluctantly tried an ablation on 4/1, but the numerous fibroids made ablation impossible. She couldn't do the ablation.

I don't have kids, and the thought of a hysterectomy has always made me sad and disappointed. But once my doc expressed doubt that I'd even be able to conceive due to my fibroids and mishapen uterus (let alone carry a child to term), the sadness lifted. I've accepted that biological children weren't in the cards for me, which has lifted a weight off my shoulders!

I just wanted to thank all of you for sharing your stories, which has helped me to come to terms with my decision. My surgery is scheduled for 7/1, and hopefully I'll be able to share my positive surgery experince with you all.

Thanks for letting me share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2010, 08:48 AM
Re: Looking forward to my surgery!

Hi Uterno.

I miscarried at 39 due to a fibroid that grew and took the blood supply from the baby. The fibroid shrunk afterwards, but grew during my pregnancy. I was offered myomectomy by one OBGYN but the experience was so not to be desired again by me that I opted out of the surgery. Also, I didn't know anything about such things back then and was not aware of support groups like this site.

Have you considered myomectomy? I read some accounts where some have had successful pregnancies afterwards. Just a thought if you haven't already considered.

In either case, I (and I'm sure the rest here) wish you the best outcome.

Take care.
Unread 06-19-2010, 12:31 PM

I am glad you have found the site and have already found it helpful!

While you prepare for your upcoming surgery, be sure to check out our Pre Op Articles and Hints from Members!

If you have not had a second opinion, you may want to get that scheduled as well!

Wishing you all the best!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2010, 08:17 PM

Hi, Crunchers1 and Weiser.

I have had a myomectomy in the past, and sure enough the fibroids have come back with a vengeance. I have conceded the battle and decided for the hysterectomy. I'm really ready to be done with the struggle, rather than trying to strategically remove fibroids.

I have had a couple of opinions, and the consensus is that hysterectomy is my best option, especially based on the size and number of my fibroids. Wish me luck, and thanks for your comments!
Unread 06-19-2010, 08:37 PM

Uterno, I know just how you feel. I had fibroids removed and they grew back (several 10cm in size). Could not do the abl. because "good contact" was not possible because of the location and size of them. I do not have any children either, but I am OK with that. We can always adopt.
I had my hysterectomy on 4-27-10, and I do not regret it at all. I feel so much better and you will too. Hugs to you!!
Unread 06-19-2010, 08:45 PM

Thanks for the encouraging words Dedmurphy!

It's good to hear that almost 2 months after your surgery you have no regrets. I can't wait to be able to say that about myself!!!!
Unread 06-19-2010, 09:29 PM

Good luck with everything! I found this site after my diagnosis and its been a god send. The ladies here are wonderful.
Unread 06-19-2010, 10:26 PM

Welcome! This is a great site with a lot of good information.
Unread 06-19-2010, 10:38 PM

Hi Guys,

My reality is a bit different but I can certainly sympathize. I went through the mourning period back in my 30s...even without my fibroid issues that I have now.

I have worked, with proper protective equipment, in chemical laboratories from my early 20's to my mid 30's. I handled some of the nastiest carcinogens, ontogens, and teratogens being used in business today. I had told myself if I was not away from this stuff by my late 20's...I was not going to have children. Had I gotten out in time, I would have tried having a child in my mid 30's, but it did not happen.

I was married for a time, but that relationship also fell apart in my late 20's and there has been nothing promising for quite some time. I did my mourning then, so when it came up that all my reproductive health issues can be solved in one move, I know this is the right decision for me.

There is nothing saying that I cannot adopt and I am an adopted child. However, the wait for an infant is 4 to 6 years...I need to make a decision if this is the path for me pretty soon. Due to my job (it is in IT), I am still putting intermittent long hours that would not be conducive to being a single parent.

Take care, Uterno, things will work out for the best!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register