waiting | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-20-2002, 01:10 PM
waiting

I have just been told after only 5 weeks that I am having surgery. I have had not one clue that something is going on. They found fiberoids and my surgery is on April 3rd. I do not know what to even expect before or after. I don't even know anyone that has had the surgery. I don't understand all the pain.

laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2002, 01:24 PM
waiting

Hi, Laura -

Welcome - you've found a place where LOTS of people have had this surgery - they are very supportive, and will help you through this. Please ask questions, read as much as you can! Do you know exactly what procedure will be done?
Unread 03-20-2002, 01:26 PM
waiting

Welcome to the club! You have come to the right place. There is so much information for you here. Are you comfortable moving around the site yet?

I'm a and am happy to help you with any ?? you have. My answers are only my humble opinion (or IMHO) as we say. If I am not prying, what kind of difficulties led up to your decision?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2002, 06:34 PM
waiting

Hi Laura...and welcome to the best place around for information, support and hugs!

We will all help you with getting yourself ready...a good place to start is on our home page...scroll down to Pull Down Menus and start reading! You'll find many helpful stories and lists to help you with your doctor's appts, with getting your family and home ready for surgery and recovery, and with what other women's experiences have been with a variety of procedures. There's a GREAT pre-op appt. question list that you should print out and bring with you to the dr....add all your own questions, too.

And please don't rule out the idea of a second opinion. Fibroids don't always require a hyster. Be sure you understand EXACTLY why this has been recommended and what the plan is. If you are not clear, keeping asking until you are clear. A second opinion doesn't mean you don't have confidence in your doctor, it means you want another professional to assess your condition and help you make the right decisions for YOU!

We'll all be here to help...keeping reading and posting!!!

Karen
Unread 03-20-2002, 06:50 PM
waiting

Hi Laura,
Welcome! So glad you found us.

You are not alone, feeling like you don't know anything about a hysterectomy and you've just been told you need one. I think many of us felt that way at first. This is a great place to ask questions, read, get information from ladies who have been there or are on their way.

As Karen said, don't be hesitant to get a second opinion. A hysterectomy is not always necessary for fibroids. Hopefully your gyn has explained why he/she is recommending a hyst or outlined your other options. As for not knowing anyone who has had a hyst ... I didn't think I knew anyone either until I spoke up. Then I discovered a lady at work who had been through this a couple of years ago ... she was my angel, along with hystersisters.

Keep reading, posting, ask any questions you have and we'll do our best to help. We're not medical professionals, but we'll share our personal experiences and provide support any way we can.

Beth
Unread 03-21-2002, 05:37 AM
hyster for fibroids

hi and welcome! my dr. told me about this site and i've been here and at the chat room every day for a month. This wonderful place has answered many of my questions and gave me encouragement and comfort anytime I needed it. My surgery is tuesday mar.26 (less than a week away) So as of yet i can't help you with what happens during or after your hysterectomy, but myself and everyone here will be happy to answer any pre-hyst. questions for you. The pull down menus are a blessing! You will be fine,just remember we are all here if you need someone to lean on.
Unread 03-21-2002, 05:41 AM
waiting

I second all the other recommendations. Especially the one about not knowing anyone that had this surgery. I told people at work, and found several ladies that had been through it. My surgery was scheduled quickly also and I had only two weeks notice. Everytime I came up with questions, I'd run over and ask one of the ladies that had had it. That and this site made me feel part of a group, rather than all alone.
Unread 03-21-2002, 06:04 AM
waiting

The "operation no one talks about". Isn't it amazing! I had lunch with a dear friend last week. She is 78. (I'm 46). She's kinda like my second mom. My mother passed away in 2000. My dear friend went through menopause and I asked her why she thought no one talked about these issues. Her thought was this. She said that she was brought up in a day when the men went off to work and the women stayed home. The ladies would "play bridge", get together in some fashion - as in quilting circles perhaps before that and those were the times everyone would air their "problems". In our own way, we have been blessed with Kathy's foresight and created our 21st century "quilting group" and/or "bridge club". I feel badly for those who are less fortunate and isolated, don't have access to a computer and don't know that they can even ask for help, let alone know that what they are feeling is normal. I'm not part of any church group but do you think that in some areas of the country a church group would be able to offer support and education on "women's health issues" in general -- without getting into a "reproductive rights" discussion? At some point we all go through "menopause" one way or the other!
Unread 03-21-2002, 06:10 AM
waiting

You may find that this site becomes quite addictive! You will find that there is almost no question or problem that someone doesn't have personal experience with, so you will never feel alone!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register