pump vs. shots - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pump vs. shots pump vs. shots

Unread 03-27-2004, 10:52 AM
pump vs. shots

I agree with Suri, I don't think that I used all that much pain medication when I was on the pca pump. but when they took it away , I really don't remember getting any medication until I was rigid with pain! Then I was scolded for letting it get out of hand,and had to wait until the dr.was called, the order was given and the drug brought to the floor. I spend an entire afternoon in severe discomfort because a simple pill wouldn't have done me any good by that time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2004, 10:55 AM
to kathmerkin

I had the pca pump(dilaudid). It worked great. I would just get to sleep and those darn pressure cuffs would jolt me awake. I know it's a necessary,good thing,but everytime they came on(every 15 minutes or so) it felt like someone was at the foot of my bed squeezing my legs.
Unread 03-27-2004, 11:54 AM
pump vs. shots

Have you and your doctor considered Toradol in your IV? I'm a big fan of Toradol for pain control. Click here for more information: Toradol pain control

I would highly recommend you discuss Toradol with your doctor and find out his experiences with this wonder drug. I had mine administered in the IV.

Aloha
Unread 03-27-2004, 12:03 PM
pump vs. shots

When my anesthesiologist came to talk to me before surgery, he wanted me to have a general with the pca pump and I told him I didn't want the pump because I was afraid I'd be too out of it to use it. I asked for and got (after he spoke with my dr) an intrathecal shot of morphine immediately after surgery before I was taken to the recovery room. I was still out so I didn't feel it. But it lasts for 24 hrs and was wonderful. I had a bad reaction to the general with dizziness and throwing up that evening but absolutely no pain.

I'd definitely go that route again.
Best wishes on your surgery and your decision.
Blessings,
Unread 03-27-2004, 03:59 PM
pump vs shots

Hi---- I had the pump with dilauded for a few hours-----hated it. It made me very nauseous and the antinausea meds were not working. Switched to demoral shots( which is what I wanted in the first place) worked extremely well for pain with no nausea at all. had demoral shots for 2 c sections in the past and I think its great. Good luck-----kangaa
Unread 03-29-2004, 08:23 AM
Pumps VS Shot

You guys have given me alot to think of with the pumps vs shot, but as I said before I never had the pump before, only my hubby. His throat was so sore he couldn't swallow even liquid pain meds!

My dr ordered the demerol and phen every four hours but I found that I could sometimes go six-. I would order it when I felt the first twinge and then if they weren't down there soon I would press again. I was lucky though because alot of the nurses at the hospital where I was were familiar with my doctor (he could raise Xell bigtime!) and they got my shots down there timely. He is deceased now and this is the dr that took over his practice so that worries me some. I'll see what he suggest at my pre-op appt.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register