Decision to be made with help from older women, please | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Decision to be made with help from older women, please Decision to be made with help from older women, please

Unread 03-24-2007, 11:01 AM
Decision to be made with help from older women, please

I just got thrown for a loop two days ago and I am so glad I found this site to help me cope.

I've had a prolapse for many years which recently worsened. I expected to need surgical repair for that but the suggestion I have a hysterectomy at the same time came as a shock.

I am menopausal with no uterine problems now or in the past. No family history of uterine or cervical cancer. My dr recommends a hysterectomy be done the same time as the repair is done on my cystocele and rectocele. He says if problems develop in the future the repair will have to be undone to do the hysterectomy. My surgery is to be done vaginally.

The dr sees this as no big deal since I am menopausal. Well, it is a big deal to me although his reasoning makes some sense. I've read about post-surgical pain and sexual dysfunction. Sex is still important and satisfying to me. I don't want that to change.

I'd like to hear from someone who has had this decision to make or at least a woman who was menopausal at the time of her hysterectomy.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Sounds familiar

I have the same problem, total prolapse of pelvic floor and was told I needed a complete hysterectomy, cystolele and rectocele plus repairs to the vaginal walls. I'm 53 had 8 children and am going through menopause. So far I have no menopausal symtoms and consider myself really lucky. My ob/gyn wants to take my ovaries as I don't need them anymore! Then 3/6 months after my hysterectomy have the cystocele repaired with a sling (although I've read some horror stories about it and I'm not too sure about that yet) which my urologist would do. I've put everything on hold, yet again while I do more research. I've found a uro/gynocologist who may offer me more solutions and I see her in April.
Unread 03-24-2007, 11:25 AM

Good luck with your decision.

I'm OK with the sling and think having it all done at once is a good idea. I just don't want to go too far if I don't need to.

Would you post or PM me a link to the horror stories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2007, 01:00 PM

Hello dreamer -- a quick post about my recent surgery -- it was March 6th -- hysterectomy, removal of ovaries and 'anterior repair' -- I'm 61 and have had prolapse issues for years with no particular serious problems because of it. I wanted to have my ovaries removed due to family (mother and brother) and my own history of breast cancer in my mid-30's (surgery and chemo put me into early menopause at that time). This year, when the prolapse condition was considered in addition to the ovary removal, it was recommended to do everything at once. A second opionion confirmed that recommendation. After months of waiting and changing my mind, I finally had everything done (vaginally) and am very pleased with my recovery so far (needed no pain meds, back to normal activity already -- other than being careful about lifting things ). My only complication was needing a catheter at home for 5 days after my one night post surgery in the hospital - because my bladder didn't completely empty at first.
Everything's working now. No emotional/hormonal consequences noticed so far. Hope things work as well for you.
Unread 03-24-2007, 03:12 PM

I don't see how you would only want advice from older women only. I am 24 and having a hysterectomy and repairs done because of prolapse. I think that singling out only the older women is leaving many opinions and advice out of your decision process.
Unread 03-24-2007, 03:19 PM

I would get a second opinion on that.
Unread 03-24-2007, 03:36 PM

dreamer 552
I was 56 when I went in to have a hysterectomy and repairs for a prolapse. I ended up having repairs only and no hysterectomy I dont know why, am waiting to see the surgeon to get the details.I was not sure about having a hysterectomy but had got my mind round it.Now I feel confused, why say one thing then do another.My only advice would be to get all the options you have, then decide what it is that you really want
regards
Dianne223344
Unread 03-24-2007, 06:06 PM

dreamer552,
I am 50 and had a vaginal hyst for prolapse. I had a cystocele and vaginal prolapse. I imagine on one hand that the doctor is recomending hyst too based on your exam. If not perhaps a second opinion or better explaination is warranted. My doctor said the first surgery being successful is your best chance. If I were to do something that undoes the repair -well its then more difficult to go back in and do it over. As far as life afterwards, WOW no prolapse is amazing! To not have that protusion (tmi) constantly is wonderful ( oh and sex is
A OK too!!
Best of luck with your decision- remember it has to be right for you-

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register