carcinoma insitu cervix | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

carcinoma insitu cervix carcinoma insitu cervix

Unread 05-11-2005, 12:44 PM
carcinoma insitu cervix

Good Afternoon Ladies,
It was great to find this wonderful website. I am sure you all have had these same questions over and over again. But here it goes. I went to my regular doctor for just a yearly exam and she did a pap. The results showed abnormal cells so she said she wanted me to go see an OBGYN. Walked into his office and found that I was to have a colposcopy. Was not even aware of it. Those results made him do a leep on me on April 14. Went back today for my first post op and he tells me I have carcinoma insitu and that it is up deeper into the cervical canal than what he thought or saw during the leep. He wants me to wait for till August and than have another pap and a endocervical curtage(spelling). And with those results he may want to do a cold knife cone biopsy. He explained what the cone was surgery wise. But my question is this ...... What is it that I have do I or do I not have cancer. What should I do. Should I freak out now and tell my loving Fiancee who is currently in Iraq or just wait. He comes home in August. Help ME!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2005, 04:57 PM
carcinoma insitu cervix

Hi. First if you can, take a deep breath. 2nd, if you do not understand what 'exactly' the doctor meant, TELL him..... dont be afraid. From what you have said, you were shocked and most likely anytime the word cancer is mentioned that is all you may of heard.

I had similar condition. I too had leep, but the doc did it under anestisia (sp) put me to sleep. So glad he did that. I ended up having hyster but not only due to cervix altho that was a major part of it, i had alot of scar tissue as well.

You do have time as far as your fiance goes. I understand I too was a military wife. But before you tell him, may i just 'SUGGEST' cuz i am not you nor do i know your fiance, but I would go back to the doctor, and sit and have him explain to me...

do i have cancer?
what level?
Will this next procedure cure me?
will i need further treatment, ie chemo, etc...

First things first. We are here for you, please keep us updated.

hugs,
carrie
Unread 05-11-2005, 05:25 PM
carcinoma insitu cervix

Paula -

I was also diagnosed with cacinoma in situ in 1993 due to the HPV virus. My DDR did a leep conization under a general anasthetic and luckily my borders were clear. I continued to have paps every 3 months for the first 2 years and then every 6 months with a colposcopy every other pap. They all came back with mild dysplasia but that was probably related to the HPV infection. My DR did another smear test to see if I had high chances of developing more cancerous cells and I did, but we kept a close eye on it. My TAH was due to adenomyosis not cervical issues!

Write down any questions that you might have for your doctor and make an appointment just to talk to him/her. I am fortunate that I have a DR who explains EVERYTHING so that I can understand it.

I know that this is very scary, but know that cervical cancer grows very SLOWLY and if caught early they can treat it successfully.

Good Luck and my prayers to you and your fiancee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2005, 08:12 PM
carcinoma insitu cervix

Thank you Carrie and Hamptonchick. I really do appreciate you responding. And you are right as soon as he said carcinoma my mind went dead. I wrote everything he said down and he told me to call him at any time to ask anything further. Honestly I think he was more surprised than me when he said what the pathology report said. And Carrie you are right I don't think I will say anything to my fiance until I know something for sure. He has enough to worry about where he is at. I just am afraid he won't want me anymore because of this. I am sure I am wrong but that was the first thing I thought of. Is that being selfish??
Unread 05-11-2005, 09:04 PM
carcinoma insitu cervix

Hi Paula 0570

I think the main thing you need to do right now is talk with your doctor again and ask for clarification on exactly what you are facing. Do ask him the questions that ((4reality)) suggested.

As far as telling your fiance about what you are going through right now...it's a tough call. My daughter's husband has been serving in Iraq and she did not tell him about his mother's possible recurrance of colon cancer due to wanting to protect him for extra worries and stress. It's difficult to know how much they should be told since they are already dealing with so much over there. It' really an individual decision and how much you think your fiance can deal with. I personally feel that if there is a situation that is not life threatening...I'd rather not let them know.

You might want to also post in the Cancer Concerns forum where you can hopefully receive more information and support regarding cervical carcinoma in situ.

Don't worry about your fiance thinking less of you because of what you are going through. I'm sure he loves you just the way your are in sickness and in health....that's what love is about.

Sending 's
Unread 05-12-2005, 05:40 PM
carcinoma insitu cervix

Dear Paula0570,
Hi

Shelley is right, there are women over at Cancer Concerns who have been through the same thing you are dealing with right now, and would know much more about your situation than I do. I know they'd be happy to help you. Feel free to stop by and say hi!

I'm don't have a lot of experience with your situation, but from what I have learned, it is not uncommon to do a follow up Pap a few months later to see if the cells are still abnormal.

I would also recomend a second opinion with a gyn/oncologist if cancer is suspected..they are the best trained MD's when it comes to dealing with gynecological cancers.

Best of luck to you,
K9

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register