Is it normal?? 1 week post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is it normal?? 1 week post op Is it normal?? 1 week post op

Unread 03-26-2006, 02:00 AM
Is it normal?? 1 week post op

My TAH surgery was Monday the 20th March and once back in my hospital room and on the PCA things were good. That night I was using the toilet and from the next day having walks down the hall with relatively no pain. 24 hours later the PCA was removed and at 48 hours the pump delivering a local to the wound site was removed. I stayed in hospital till Friday afternoon because I really felt quite good. The nurses were mainly only doing obs on me and bringing me pain pills. Since coming home my whole stomach seems to be hurting more as each day goes by (I know, its only two days) I felt so much better in hospital and now seem to only sitting (reclining) in the recliner chair because it is the most comfortable place. Going to the toilet or kitchen is a massive effort and a shower!!! That just wipes me out. I have no temperature so I am assuming there is no infection. Tomorrow I go to my local doctor to get my stitches out. Is it normal to feel worse 6 days later than right after surgery? Did I get a false sense of security in hospital? I had a vertical incision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2006, 02:36 AM

Dear Aussie Skyes

I am 5 months post op and am very happy to have the surgery behind me. I didn't have a vertical incision but I remember experiencing more pain when I got home. I was only in the hospital for 2 1/2 days. My pump was removed the next morning and they gave me Vicodin. It seemed like I was going to have a smooth road.

Well when I got home I did experience more pain. My doctor kept telling me that I was being too active. Well if going to the bathroom a few times, typing on my laptop and using my TV remote is too active I guess I was.

Maybe it's the position that you are lying or sitting in. The one thing that you can count on is that it will get better. Usually around the 2nd or 3rd week. Be aware that when you do feel better you will want to do more. Pace yourself. For me it was 2 steps up and 1 step back. In a few days you will notice that it's starting to get better. I'm glad that you will be seeing your doctor soon. I'm sure he will assure you that all is well.

God Bless
Carol
Unread 03-26-2006, 05:20 AM

I felt the same as you. Wish I could have brought the hospital bed home with me to sit me up. My couch is not comfortable at all, so I find myself laying on my side in my room so I don't hurt my back. It really does get better, day 10 here, and I'm moving around pretty well. I can honestly say I haven't done anything except help fold laundry,,,whew, that was enough. I run a business with my dad, and he needed me to organize things yesterday so I went to his house/office next door for 2 hours. My kids cleaned, took out the trash, and moved stuff for me, but I was totally exhausted when I got home and couldn't sleep. I'm really tired, as I've seen that is the biggest complaint. Eating right helps me a lot, and I started taking my multi vitamins again which perk me up some.
My incision was horizontal, I'm sure the vertical makes it even tougher to get up and down, terrified of tearing it the whole time.

Did the hospital send you home with a binder?? I wear mine all the time and it has helped soooo much, especially at night. I have very little pain when I role over, without it I'm screaming.

Hope your feeling better soon, keep us posted.
hugs, Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2006, 04:37 PM

I think it's quite normal to feel whacked out when you get home - I've have a few ops but none as extensive as this. It takes a few days for the anaesthetic to get flushed out of your system and then the "real" pain and fatigue can hit. Keep ahead of your pain by taking your meds - either prescription, OTC or combination - and take lots of lie-down times. It does get better but it will seem like forever....

Best wishes and
s.......Wendy
Unread 03-26-2006, 04:53 PM

We are told here that pain pumps are almost never used anymore. Might just be that particular hospital. but anyway, switching from injections of morphine for pain combined with meds for nausea to oral pain pills is really a let down. The pills in no way compare to the injections. That is a huge difference for me. Also, no way to move around like you can in a hospital bed. I really miss that.
Hope things go well for you.
Elaine
Unread 03-26-2006, 09:01 PM

Hi Aussie Skyes
I had my TAH on the same day as you (vertical incision) and I was discharged on the Fri am as I was also doing so well. I made sure to walk where possible - it was uncomfortable - but I had to make it to our outside loo so getting moving was a must for me!
Pain wise it does hurt more when you come home. We will be moving more, walking further, and doing a bit more for ourselves...even making a coffee can be tiring though!
I felt good too till I came home, then realised just how tired my poor body really was. A nap during the day really does help to recharge the batteries. Take your pain meds regularly for a day or two - even if you dont think that they are required...this helps to get on top of the aches, pings, and twinges before they get too troublesome.
Dont stand for too long - learnt this one last night...I decided I felt well enough to help at dinner time, so I watched our fish cooking (standing at stove, and leaning on the kitchen counter) BAD MOVE....10 mins later when I sat down I felt like a truck had run me over!

The pain will get better every day as your body heals and adjusts to the trauma it has just gone through. Listen to it and rest where possible though.
Ozi (Sharon)
Unread 03-26-2006, 09:29 PM

I had a vertical incision also. I had mine on Thursday, March 9, and came home on Sunday, March 12. I was not allowed to do anything once I got home. My husband would not let me. I was in the recliner for as much as I could stand, than went to the couch. The whole first week home, I slept alot. My husband was home with me, but that did not matter, I slept in the recliner, I slept on the couch and I also slept in my daughters bed (it is downstairs, mine is upstairs). I took advantage of it. My husband took me out on small outings, and the Friday following my surgery, we went out to dinner. It was nice to get out of the house. I am only 2 weeks and 3 days post op, and I still get tired, and want to take a nap in the afternoon. Do what your body tells you. If you do too much one day, you will know the next day or that night, that you did too much. I am trying not to do alot, but as you all know, it is hard. I hope everyone takes the time that they need to heal. Take your time, you only get one chance to heal correctly.
Carol
Unread 03-27-2006, 06:32 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies and words of advice. I went to the doc today (local GP as the GYN is in another town) and he took one look at me and said I was extremely pale. My scar has a slight infection too. Armed with another script for antibiotics and more pain meds, I went to the hospital for a blood test. Late that night I was called to come in to see the doc on call because my blood levels were at about 65. We discussed treatment and decided to try iron tablets (stronger than the silly ones I was taking thinking they were doing some good) along with all my other medication. If that fails then I will have a transfusion. So now I know why I have this pain and feeling drained all the time. I feel better knowing there is a reason and now working hard at making sure it is cured. I don't do a whole lot, sit on the recliner mostly. Hopefully now things will improve, but will keep in mind the 2 steps forward one step back. Thanks everyone
Unread 03-27-2006, 08:13 AM

Aussie, you had your surgery the same day I did, so I assume you are having the same "digestive" problems that everyone else has at this stage. You need to be prepared for the possibility that iron tablets are going to make that much worse. When you get your iron, get a softener as well!! If it's a big problem, there is an iron supplement called "Slow FE" that's more delicate. Good luck...

Nightauel
Unread 03-27-2006, 06:33 PM

Talking about the hospital bed. What helps me tremendously is sleeping on my sons bottom bunk. He has one of those metal frame bunk beds. I use the bars from the top bunk to move around. It's WONDERFUL!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register