Bowel Prep Woes....need support | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel Prep Woes....need support Bowel Prep Woes....need support

Unread 11-11-2004, 08:07 AM
Bowel Prep Woes....need support

OK, So I started the GO-Lytley 5 minutes ago. I am gagging every time I am taking a drink. I am OK if I can keep it down long enough to take a swig of pop, but I can't all the time.

I know if I can't do this I will have to go to the castle and have an NG....don't want that....

I don't know if I can do this guys...

Erin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2004, 09:35 AM

Call your doctor's office and speak to a nurse. Ask if you can take the Fleet's phosphosoda instead. It's not very tasty either, but there's much less of it to drink.

Unread 11-11-2004, 09:56 AM

They said I have to do the Go LYtely, b/c I am having the bowel resection, it is the best stuff to do.

I have been sticking my tongue in the little tubs of the powdered crystal light lemonade in between sips. The lemon flavor almost covers up the other crap.

I am probably almost done, pretty much just liquid coming out now (sorry for the too much information lol)

Thanks,

Erin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2004, 10:07 AM

Erin,
Oh man I feel for you. How long does the whole process take? Are you really tired now...I mean do you feel empty and weak?
Best of luck...glad you're at the end of your treatment.
Maralyn
Unread 11-11-2004, 10:44 AM

I feel nauseated, bloated, and weak. I am going to lay down on the coucn and watch my soaps. I am done with the GoLytley, I ended up drinking about half the gallon. Everything is total liquid now. I have to do the bowel sterilization starting at 4pm. That is going to make me feel even worse, I've been told. I have to take a gram of erythromycin, and a gram of neomycin every 3 hours for three doses.

This whole thing *****. Bad.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Erin
Unread 11-11-2004, 11:56 AM

oh wow, I just came from my pre-op a little bit ago and got my scrip for what she wrote as Nu Lytely. I am to starting drinking it at 5 pm the evening before my surgery. They told me to drink a pint every ten minutes. Then at 7 at have to do a fleet enema.

The nurse told me to get the Nu Lytely as COLD as I can.. the colder the better. She said even pour it over ice but dont mix it with anything. She said if I drink it warm it will taste even worse!

I am on a clear liquid diet that entire day as well. So hopefully I wont have too much to worry about emptying out.

Good luck hun.
Unread 11-11-2004, 12:24 PM

Kelly,

I also was on a full liquid diet yesterday...I didn't have to do that, but I knew it would make today easier. Full liquids are things like pudding, ice cream, yogurt, cream soup, etc. That way there is less solid stuff in your gut that has to come out. I think that helped things go a little quicker today.

Good Luck!
Erin
Unread 11-11-2004, 12:29 PM

I thought it was almost amusing that the nurse told me to eat well next Tuesday because it will be the last real food I will have for a few days!

Best of luck to you hun. I will think of you tomorrow. Mine is a week from today and Im getting so nervous.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register