Upcoming hysterectomy 5/19: Running down my checklist.. What to do with my dog??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 5/19: Running down my checklist..  What to do with my dog??? Upcoming hysterectomy 5/19: Running down my checklist.. What to do with my dog???

Unread 05-13-2015, 12:07 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 5/19: Running down my checklist.. What to do with my dog???

Yup my mind is just wandering about as I am running down my checklist of things to be done before surgery.

I seem to have a handle on everything except.... What to do with my dog when I come home.. My husband will be home for 2 days with me after surgery. I have a 70 lb dog that will need to be walked. I live in a condo so i can't just let him out to do his business. Will I be up for walking him 3 days after surgery? He is very well trained and I can't foresee any issues with him on pulling or jumping. he will just walk with me. Am i going to have the energy for this?

I know it sounds stupid but there is no way he can go 9 hours while my husband is at work if I can't walk him..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2015, 02:01 PM
Re: Running down my checklist.. What to do with my dog???

The walking itself would be fine, but you might check with your dr about walking with the dog, as on the off chance that he might pull for some reason even though he is well trained if would be best to be sure that the dr doesn't think it will harm you. Do you have a friend or neighbor who could go with you and hold the leash in case your dr says no?
Unread 05-13-2015, 02:09 PM

You probably won't be up for bending down to pick up poop. See if you can hire a dog walker for a few weeks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2015, 02:31 PM

I don't think walking your 70 lb dog anytime during the first few wks is a good idea. As well behaved as any trained dog is there is always the off chance of...SQUIRREL! ; )

Are there any neighbors or neighborhood kids who can walk your dog for you during the day? It might be a good idea to call your vets office and ask if they know of any dog walkers that you can hire or who can help you out during your recovery.
Unread 05-13-2015, 05:31 PM

I would have physically been able to do it maybe once or twice, but as others have said, I'd be really worried about him pulling while you are holding onto him. Ouch. Can you hire someone just for a few days, or does anywhere near you have a doggie daycare you can send him to for that week? I'd think after the first week you could walk him as long as he definitely isn't going to pull!
Unread 05-13-2015, 05:39 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 5/19: Running down my checklist.. What to do with my dog???

Thank you for all your responses. I think we have figured out a plan. My mom is going to come over when she gets out of work everyday and walk him. And we are going to borrow a tie out from a friend. We have a slider out our back door we are going to attach the tie out to our deck so I can let him out if he needs to go.. with any luck my condo board won't break them off on me for doing that. I'll be on the deck, so it's not like he will be outside alone. They will just have to deal with the poop until someone can pick it up..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register