LAVH Bladder & bowel issues. 5 days post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder & bowel issues.  5 days post-op Bladder & bowel issues. 5 days post-op

Unread 10-01-2011, 04:03 AM
Bladder & bowel issues. 5 days post-op

Hello,

On Monday, I had a LAVH. Removed cervix and one ovary as well. Was never catheterized and was able to urinate the first time the nurses asked me to try. The surgeon did tell me that they always examine the bladder with a scope to check the ureters. The ovary they removed, was adhered to my intestines.

I had no complications and sailed thru the in-hospital recovery just fine. My surgery was at 8 AM and I was on my way home by 3 PM :-)

My recovery has been OK except for 2 concerns:

1 - When I eat even small snacks, my digestive tract gets "angry" and it hurts to eat.

I know that the bowels can become "shocked" if handled and I had an ovary removed from mine, so I am careful not to get constipated. I drink plenty and use a stool softener, so that is not a problem. Why would it be painful to my lower gut to eat? It hurts as soon as I begin to eat.

2- I no longer have an urge to urinate. When I do go, the stream is weak and I have no influence over it. I feel no relief or sense of "ahhhhh" when voiding. I think I am done only to have more dribble out. I do not have any troubles holding my urine when I am not using the rest room.

The nurses told me that my bladder symptoms would improve quickly and be gone in 2 or 3 days. But I have had no real improvement at all.

I guess I am just wondering if eating and using the restroom are common issues or if I should be worried.

Any insights anyone has would be truly appreciated.

Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2011, 06:15 AM
Re: Bladder & bowel issues. 5 days post-op

Hello, I am 6 days post op after having complete hysterectomy using Davinci. I couldn't really eat until yesterday and when I have bowl movement it hurts like crazy. I just wanted to tell you, you are not alone. I actually logged on to ask if this was normal to feel so much pain while having a bowl movement 6 days post op.
Unread 10-01-2011, 06:31 AM

I had a LAVH-BSO done on Monday also! I have done pretty good, but I also am having the same issues urinating as you. Also yesterday I had to do a fleet enima because I was terribly constipated and in so much pain I couldn't stand, sit, walk or lay down!! I am better today, just still uncomfortable a bit. I hope you recover quickly and feel better soon!! I plan on asking my doctor about the urinating problem on Tuesday when I go in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2011, 02:11 PM

I had an LAVH on the 20th, 11 days ago. I found it quite painful and uncomfortable to urinate after surgery. It gets easier and mine has been normal now except I feel sometimes that I have to go when it's only been a 1/2 hour. With the BM, It hurt ALOT to pass it the first couple of times. Just remember 2 things!!

1. DO NOT PUSH!! I found that sitting up as straight as I could and rubbing my back (top to bottom) actually helped it come out. Dont' ask why but it did.

2. DO NOT use the stool softeners longer than 7 days at a time. You can become dependent on them to have a BM movement and you certainly don't want that right now!! Try metamucil or benefibre.

Hope some of this helped. Trust me, it does get better. Your body just needs time to get back to tip top shape!! Good luck and please keep us posted
Unread 10-01-2011, 08:32 PM

I think it's common to have bladder issues post op. My bladder ached terribly when almost full and continued to ache for 40 minutes after peeing. This continued until week 8 or 9. My gyne sent me for CT with contrast to make sure there was no damage to urinary tract. I would make an appt with the doctor to make him aware of these issues. It will put your mind at ease to know everything's ok and in the meanwhile he may have suggestions to make you more comfortable.
Unread 10-17-2011, 09:17 PM

Thanks for your replies. The bladder issue is getting better. Today marks 3 weeks since the surgery. I now do feel more of an urge, and more of a sense of relief when I urinate. But I still am not done when I think I am. I did ask for a Urininalysis and was found to have had a UTI last week. Just finished a round of antibiotics for that. My only real isse left is that I can't empty properly. There is still urine left when I think I am done. I can actually push on my low low tummy and push more out - crazy. The bowel is feeling a lot better although I have nearly no appetite.

Thanks so much for your replies - it is really nice to realize you aren't alone when things seem a little "wonky". :-)
Unread 10-18-2011, 02:17 AM

hi i had TAH BOS on 24th sept i have bowel and bladder issues... im on laxatives strong ones from hosp and stool softner as i do not have feeling to push anymore ..also bladder working overtime so i am wetting myself cant stop it just comes out.. even wet the bed cpl time (worse at night) went to hosp they gave me an enema, about a week ago.. helped to get of rid of what was stuck but they said ..it could take 2 months to settle so i go back in dec ... so i have to continue to take laxatives etc but cut them down in a week or so ..
i am going for a 2nd opinion cos i dont think this should happen so long after surgery
xx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register