Hysterectomy for fibroid? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy for fibroid? Hysterectomy for fibroid?

Unread 02-27-2014, 09:07 AM
Hysterectomy for fibroid?

Hi I'm...new to this site and of this whole experience ( I mean only the surgery part). I have been dealing with hemorragia for a couple of years, I was anemic now iron levels are better. My gyn confirmed I have a fibroid the size of an orange. Doc said there are diff options but a hysterectomy lvg ovaries is best. That freaked me out so finally going for a 2nd opinion on mar 5. My symptoms are terrible heavy bleeds, fatigue, headaches along w aches and pains in my lower abs and back. If 2nd Doc says hysterectomy, I would prefer laproscopic. In addition to seeing my gyn im also under the care of a naturopath to advise supplements and diet choices to help balance the hormones. After one month i see a slight decrease w symptoms. Can anyone relate or feel free to comment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2014, 09:11 AM

Hi Mish, I'm from cornwall and have had the same symptoms as you. I go for my lvah tommorow. I am nervous because it is surgery and excited to have these symptoms take a hike and get on the road to healing and feeling better. Good luck at your second opinion.
Unread 02-27-2014, 11:28 AM
Re: Hysterectomy for fibroid?

Personally, I greatly regret not going through hysterectomy the first time I had to have surgery for fibroids. I am 32 now and I have faced multiple life threatening surgeries for fibroids. Right now a hysterectomy is hanging over me because of intermenstrual bleeding that has defied all means to stop. My tubes got blocked from adhesions and now my cervix is badly adhered to my vagina wall as a result of the myomectomies. The reasons why I went through all the was to retain fertility which is impossible now with both blocked tubes and badly structured uterus and cervix as a result of the surgeries. Multiple surgeries have changed my body system. I can't pass stool well. Gynecologist says there is now an obstruction.
I personally would advice any woman having issues to bite the bullet and do the hysterectomy once and for all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2014, 11:36 AM

Hi veggiegal81! Thanks for your quick reply and well wishes. I am interested to see if I'm a candidate as I do not want to go thru the long recovery tim or the incision. All the best to you tomorrow. I look fwd to hearing about your speedy recovery!!
Cheers
Mish
Unread 02-27-2014, 11:40 AM

If you see a decrease in symptoms, then it might be worthwhile to see how you do. If the fibroid will shrink on it's own and/or the excessive bleeding resolves then you might be able to avoid a surgery.

I have always felt that fibroids develop due to some kind of hormonal imbalance, so it makes sense to me that there would be a way to put them back into balance, whether by nutrient or progesterone or something else. And if this can be achieved, then the need for surgery goes away.

However, you have to realize this would be a commitment thru menopoause, if not even after.
Unread 02-27-2014, 11:49 AM

gucciP;4312597]Personally, I greatly regret not going through hysterectomy the first time I had to have surgery for fibroids. I am 32 now and I have faced multiple life threatening surgeries for fibroids. Right now a hysterectomy is hanging over me because of intermenstrual bleeding that has defied all means to stop. My tubes got blocked from adhesions and now my cervix is badly adhered to my vagina wall as a result of the myomectomies. The reasons why I went through all the was to retain fertility which is impossible now with both blocked tubes and badly structured uterus and cervix as a result of the surgeries. Multiple surgeries have changed my body system. I can't pass stool well. Gynecologist says there is now an obstruction.
I personally would advice any woman having issues to bite the bullet and do the hysterectomy once and for all.[/quote]

Hello GucciP Thanks for sharing your story. I am sorry to hear about your bad experiences. I hope you can get the right medical advice going forward. And thanks for your advice and encouragement!
Regards , Mish
Unread 02-27-2014, 11:57 AM

6andcounting When I say a decrease in symptoms its very tiny compared to the years of pain and fatigue I have endured. And I don't know if this new diet will decrease the size of the fibroid which is the root of the problem. I can't wait a year more to see results. However a less invasive procedure vs hysterectomy is what I hope for to get back my quality of life.
Thanks though
Unread 02-28-2014, 05:22 PM

Hi Mish! I hope you have found some helpful advice on this forum. I will give you my 2 cents' worth, and hope it helps!

I was only suffering for a month due to non-stop heavy bleeding, and was diagnosed with a cantaloupe size fibroid. I decided then and there to have a hysterectomy as my dr said there was a chance it could return after treatment otherwise, and I didn't want to have to deal with that. I had a TAH two weeks ago, and so far so good. I'm better off without it. At 42, I'm not planning on having children, so I had no problems deciding.

Whatever your decision, I hope it works out for you.
Unread 02-28-2014, 06:03 PM

I think it also depends on the size of the fibroids as to which kind of operation you have I was only able to have a TAH because of the size Im sure all doctors would prefer to do laproscopic surgery but sometimes that's not possible
Unread 03-05-2014, 01:01 AM

Hello ladies
I just found out I have a small fibroid but has been causing me to have irregular periods with heavy flows for the past year. I'm not anemic yet but I have been depressed and exhausted for so long I was actually relieved to finally have an answer to how horrible I've been feeling. Im researching during my wait to see if the progesterone helps. My gyno said my options are see if progesterone helps, endometrial ablation or hysterectomy. I've had a tubiligation years ago and now entering my peri menopausal years.
Hoping to get feedback on helping me decide what avenue to take when the time comes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register