Morcellator questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Morcellator questions Morcellator questions

Unread 10-24-2015, 10:04 PM
Morcellator questions

I am having laprascopic hysterectomy Dec 3. I do not have fibroids and have never had a abnormal pap. I have developed post ablation syndrome and have severe pain with my period. My dr has assured me the morcellator is safe for me because I do not have fibroids. I am scared to death. Need some imput from fellow sisters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2015, 09:53 AM
Morcellator questions

My hysterectomy was for fibroids. My surgeon initially wanted to do an LAVH because he wanted to avoid morcellation, citing the cancer risk. However, I also had no history of cancer or other issues with my cervix, and my research indicated that I'd be better off with a supracervical approach. When we discussed it at our next appointment, he estimated my cancer risk to be about 1/5,000, and so we settled on LSH, which worked out exceptionally well. I was able to have a minimally invasive procedure, which meant a faster recovery. He did a closed morcellation, which uses a bag to contain the cut up pieces, which eliminates the risk, and he had tests done on what had been removed to ensure there was no cancer, so that's something you might want to ask about. Best wishes for your upcoming surgery!
Unread 10-25-2015, 11:33 AM
Morcellator questions

Hi Wonderwillis,

I also had a laparoscopic hyst for fibroids. I had normal pap smears like you...and my cervix was sturdy...so my Dr. suggested I keep my cervix.

As TitanicPrincess113 mentioned, I also had a pathology report done on my fibroids.

Best wishes,

Historylady 😊
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2015, 09:28 PM
Re: Morcellator questions

Thank you ladies. My doctor does use the bag to contain the pieces. I feel much better about that!
It's great to have ladies helping each other out.
Unread 11-11-2015, 09:00 PM

I had a morcellator used in my hysterectomy in 2008. I recently had an appendectomy and they found cysts through out my abdominal cavity. During my hysterectomy pathology they noted a similar inclusion cyst. After researching, I believe there is a strong possibility that the tissue was spread during this procedure from the morcellator. Read up on morcellation.
Certain insurance companies will not cover it now and the FDA has a warning. CAUTION. Read everything you can about the problems with morcellators. Cancer, endometriosis and benign cysts can be spread by the ground up tissue left inside.
Unread 11-11-2015, 09:16 PM

On the FDA warning about using morcellators:
"
•inform patients that their fibroid or fibroids may contain unexpected cancerous tissue and that laparoscopic power morcellation may spread the cancer, significantly worsening their prognosis, and

•be aware that some clinicians and medical institutions now advocate using a specimen "bag" during morcellation in an attempt to contain the uterine tissue and minimize the risk for spread in the abdomen and pelvis.

Additionally get this stat on the FDA warning - horrible

"According to an FDA analysis of currently available data, it is estimated that 1 in 350 women undergoing hysterectomy or myomectomy for the treatment of fibroids has an unsuspected uterine sarcoma"

One of the sisters quoted 1 in 5000. That is simply NOT true. Sounds like that stat was quoted by the medical device company. FDA data shows much different!
Unread 11-12-2015, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmweathergal View Post
"According to an FDA analysis of currently available data, it is estimated that 1 in 350 women undergoing hysterectomy or myomectomy for the treatment of fibroids has an unsuspected uterine sarcoma"

One of the sisters quoted 1 in 5000. That is simply NOT true. Sounds like that stat was quoted by the medical device company. FDA data shows much different!
I have thoroughly read the information provided to the FDA as well as additional information, and I do not agree with the 1 in 350 number that is being used. Many others, including those in the medical community, believe 1 in 5000 is more accurate and that number does not come from a medical device company. There are multiple studies which indicate the risks to be lower than 1 in 350. Here is some of the information we have regarding the stats:
The Debate about Morcellation and Cancer Risk
Morcellation | FDA Guidelines

Morcellation is a controversial topic and each woman should do her own research to determine if she is or is not a candidate for this type of surgery. HysterSisters has created a page about morcellation, as well as several articles, which can be helpful: Morcellation Information.

Unread 11-12-2015, 12:13 PM

RE: Morcellation

I totally agree that women should read up on both sides before making a decision and not listening to one opinion. Especially get more than one doctor's opinion.

For ease I posted the websites with the articles but my entire post was deleted as this site would not allow...so you will have to google the articles I suggest reading up on:

1. Nov 11th 2015, Publication - Maisonneuve. Article: "Worth the Risk?" Investigated by Alison Motluk
2. Calendar year 2014, Publication - Wall Street Journal
search "Morcellation" 17 articles are published in 2014
3. June 10 2014, Publication - Medscape, Article: "Harvard Surgeon aims to ban morcellation"

IIn 2008 I had a hysterectomy with a morcellator. During that time they biopsied an Inclusion Cyst. July 2015 I went for an appendectomy and my abdominal region was riddled with cysts/tumors - pathology confirmed it is the same tissue as 2008. I believe the morcellator caused the spread of tissue.

While in my surgeons office for a follow up visit this week I was on my cell phone to a friend telling her about the Wall Street Journal Articles and a woman in the waiting room overheard and told me that she had the same operation and it spread endometriosis throughout her cavity.

Neither or us are reported to any agency for any statistic. How many other are there?

I will have to have my abdominal cavity opened up and they will scour through all my organs and intestines to cut it all out. It is a huge operation and they said it has a very high re-occurrence rate.

I am lucky too - it could have been cancer.

I personally would never have opted for that procedure after reading all the articles retrospectively.
Unread 11-12-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmweathergal View Post
For ease I posted the websites with the articles but my entire post was deleted as this site would not allow...so you will have to google the articles I suggest reading up on:
You have no deleted posts. However, as you are a new member, you are not allowed to post links until it is proven that you are a real person and not a spammer.

Quote:
I personally would never have opted for that procedure after reading all the articles retrospectively.
As an FYI, articles in magazines and newspapers can have a bias, errors, and a slant which may not allow them to completely accurate. I personally believe the ones in one particular publication you mention are biased as I have read the same data and drew different conclusions. I also know that reporters can get things wrong, even when they have the facts in front of them and are doing their best. Sometimes the issue is they simply don't understand the information. Other times it can be because their perspective colors how they process the information. Due to some prestigious awards my DS has been given over the last couple years, he has had several articles written about him in various newspapers, magazines and online publications. Even with providing the information himself, sometimes in writing, almost every article has contained inaccurate information. There are 101 reasons for the errors, whether intentional or accidental. Even when given the facts, several writers and interviewers got it wrong. It happens. Humans are writing the articles.

As such, a grain of salt is needed when reading articles written to sell newspapers or magazines. Besides reading articles which have been written to garner attention, it's a good idea to do some research and read what the professionals have to say, find peer reviewed information, look at the stats first hand, compare the studies yourself, etc. Two people can look at the same stats and come to different conclusions. What sounds like a big risk to you may not seem so big to me, and vice versa. For instance, I never plan to have eye surgery as the tiny chance of going blind feels astronomical to me due to my fear of being blind. My MIL, on the other hand, had no problem with multiple eye surgeries. Instead, she wouldn't consider heart surgery which I would have in a heartbeat if it was necessary. We looked at the risks of each surgery differently based on our own views, perspectives, and circumstances.

For some perspective on numbers ... The 1 in 350 number used by some for why morcellation should not be allowed translate to 0.28%. Here are some general stats for hysterectomies that are much higher:
  • complications with abdominal hysterectomy - 10.5%
  • complications with vaginal hysterectomy - 13%
  • complications with laparoscpic hysterectomy - 9%
  • venous thromboembolism (a type of blood clot) - 1%-12%
  • damage to ureter - 0.5% (1.6% if it is a LAVH)
  • bladder injury - 2%
  • bowel injury - 0.4%
  • hemorrhage - 1%-3%
  • infection - 4%-25% (depending on hysterectomy type)

Complications of hysterectomy.
An Overview of Hysterectomy

Yes, there are some risks with morcellation. But there are also many risks for having a hysterectomy. If a risk of 1 in 350 is not acceptable when it comes to morcellation and should disqualify that technique across the board, then what do we do about the fact that 1 in 50 women who have a hysterectomy will have their bladder injured?

Rather than look at one number, we have to look at the big picture. Each woman has to make the decision that overall is best for her situation. Women and doctors need to make decisions on a case by case basis.

Unread 11-13-2015, 11:54 AM
Morcellator questions

Hi,

I had my laparoscopic hyst (LSH) in 2004. I would do it all over again...to have the quality of life I have had these last 11 years.

In my opinion...ANY surgery comes with a risk. That is why we are asked to sign release papers before a surgery.

I think as 21st century Hyster Sisters we live in a world of amazement when it comes to medical science. Many of the hyst types we ladies have had OR are going to have...were not even available 20 or 30 years ago.

And with inovation and cutting edge surgeries...comes patient risk. Doctors still need to diagnose better...and patients still need to continue to do their research.

I think doctors will continue to have significant strides in gynecological medicine and we and future Hyster Sisters will be the beneficiaries of that knowledge.

In the end...do what is best for you. That is what is most important.

Historylady 😊

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register