Travel after laparoscopic hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Travel after laparoscopic hysterectomy Travel after laparoscopic hysterectomy

Unread 11-15-2015, 08:32 PM
Travel after laparoscopic hysterectomy

I have to travel three days after. Mine is scheduled 12/22. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2015, 10:12 PM
Re: Travel after lapro hysto

Hi there. I'm not sure how far you will be traveling, but everything was rather sore and very sensitive for me 3 days post-op. The best thing I can recommend is taking a pillow with you to hold against your stomach for the car ride. The pillow helps reduce movement from bumps and riding in the car in general. You don't really realize how many bumps are actually in the road until you've had a major surgery. Lol. I would also recommend laying the seat back a bit. Not all the way, half way was best for me. It helped reduce pressure on the area operated on. I hope you won't be the one driving, as many of us are restricted from it after surgery for 2 weeks, give or take.

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery.
Unread 11-16-2015, 05:53 AM
Re: Travel after laparoscopic hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkokoski View Post
I have to travel three days after. Mine is scheduled 12/22. Any advice?
How far are you travelling and by what means? (Car, plane, train, etc.)

Be aware that the trip is unlikely to be easy or fun. By the time you reach your destination, you probably won't be up for much except lying down for a long, long rest.

I understand that you may have serious reasons for needing to make the trip. However, if by "have to" you mean that someone is insisting you be there for Christmas dinner, tell them no. Christmas will come again next year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2015, 08:47 PM

Hi Kkokoski to HysterSisters!

How far is this trip? By what mode of transportation? Can this trip be postponed?

Travel 3 days after surgery will be exceedingly difficult if not impossible. This is MAJOR SURGERY. You are having an important organ removed from your body. No matter how they enter your tummy, you have lots of internal healing to do. You will not not be in the mood to do anything anyway, even if you do get there.

Here is information on Traveling after Hysterectomy | Airplanes. But, please let your doctor know of your plans. He or she may restrict your travel for your own health. Remember, your health is more important than a trip - even if it is Christmas.

:
Unread 11-17-2015, 03:59 PM

How far are you traveling? I most definitely would not have been up to traveling at three days. My doctor even gave me instructions to not leave town for three weeks.
Unread 11-17-2015, 05:28 PM

The others have given you great advice. Although it's unlikely, there's the outside chance you could still be in the hospital for another day or two post-op if there are complications. You only get one chance to heal properly. If you have to go, make sure someone else handles your Iuggage, as you will have weight restrictions. I personally wouldn't take the chance traveling so soon post-op.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register