Pre-surgery, hospital and recovery lists | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-surgery, hospital and recovery lists Pre-surgery, hospital and recovery lists

Unread 12-08-2004, 03:11 AM
Pre-surgery, hospital and recovery lists

Hello.

Before my surgery, I was here scanning the boards daily for pre-surgery preparedness lists, hospital "what to bring" lists and recovery lists. So, now that I've had my hysterectomy (TAH, BSO), hopefully I can give back in some way and post some of my lists for the "ladies in waiting". I hope these lists and suggestions will be helpful. If you have any questions, just let me know.

My suggestions of what to do, buy, etc. pre-surgery to make life easier during recovery:

* Do a lot of cleaning (including deep cleaning) before your surgery. I knew that my mom and other people would be with me at home for a bit after surgery. So, I made things accessible for them...I set out clean towels and soaps for them and cleaned my fridge, organized my cabinets, etc. Also, it will be hard for you to bend after surgery so make sure that all of your food and dishes will be at a level where you can reach without bending and stretching. Also, keep other items like pajamas, underwear, etc. within easy reach. I also did all of my laundry before surgery.

* Before surgery, make your primary recovery room peaceful and ready for your return home. For me, my recovery room was/is our bedroom. I thoroughly cleaned the room before surgery. I used a basket for magazines, books, pens and paper, remotes, cordless phone, rolodex, tissues, etc. near the bed and I used a small basket for my medicines, lip balm, thermometer, etc. I put clean sheets and blankets on the bed and hooked a DVD player up to the television. I placed a small fan on a nearby table for hot flashes and a light by my bed so that I did not have to get up to switch the light on and off. I placed my favorite candles in the room and left places for my flowers and cards. Keep in mind that climbing stairs may be a challenge a first and might be forbidden by your doctor so try to pick a recovery room at home that is on the same floor as a bathroom.

* Stock up on food items for after your surgery: Ready to eat soup, bottled water, ice, ginger ale, cranberry juice (uti prevention - I mixed mine with ginger ale), apple juice, prune juice (to help with bowel movements - narcotics can make you constipated), jello, applesauce, pudding, fruit, ready to drink shakes (if you have nausea, these will help you have nourishment), high fiber cereal, bread for toast, single serve mac and cheese, healthy single serve microwave meals, crackers, bendable straws, disposable dishes (help your family with clean up). Keep your refrigerated foods on a shelf that you can reach.

* Try to do some cooking before your surgery and store food in the freezer for your family (items that I like to freeze are soup, chili, pasta casseroles, enchiladas, sloppy joes, etc.). If possible, have a few people bring your family meals while you are recovering...even once or twice a week is helpful.

* Print up or write up a chart to help you keep track of when you take your pain meds, antibiotics, hormone pills, etc. so that you don‘t forget when you took your last dose (your pain meds might make you "woozy" and you might forget when you have taken them - I kept this chart in my medicine basket along with a pen).

* Other things to buy in advance that helped me at home: A bed wedge (I cannot stress how much this helped...don't waste money on a flimsy cheap one. I really needed strong back support in bed. The first few days I used only pillows to prop myself up and my back ached. My husband bought me a super firm 12" wedge at our local medical supply store and it has worked great...it was the best thing that I bought for recovery. You can also buy good ones online.), a heating pad, a gel filled cool pack, stool softeners, medication for gas, antacids, nausea medication, thank you notes, a thermometer and ibuprofen.

* Before surgery I made two lists of contacts for my husband. I made a phone list and an e-mail list so that my husband could keep family and friends updated on my condition. This made my loved ones feel well informed and it cut down on the calls to my hospital room and helped me to rest.

My suggestions on what to bring to the hospital:

* Many ladies suggest using the hospital's gowns and robes. That is not a bad idea at all and I wore them for the first day after surgery. Personally, I preferred to wear my own pajamas after that. Before surgery, I bought a few nice cotton, knee length gowns (make sure you can pull up the sleeves over your elbow to allow for IVs and blood tests). I also bought a few 2 piece comfy drawstring waist pajama sets. I did not wear the new pajamas until I got to the hospital so putting on new, lovely pajamas there was a treat. I also brought a robe (used for walks), slipper socks (with treads) and BIG underwear (for me, I needed 2 sizes larger at least).You will also want to bring a comfy outfit and slip on shoes to wear home from the hospital. Leave a pillow in the car to keep between you and the seatbelt for the ride home.

* Other items that I brought to the hospital: Shampoo and conditioner, shower gel (I bought nice sample size items...don't get ones that have too much perfume because it can bother other patients). I also used lip balm, lotion (face and hand), hair brush, hair clips and bands, breath mints, tooth brush and paste, razor, feminine pads, pad of paper and a pen and a list of phone numbers. I brought chocolates for the nurses' station. I brought a cosmetic type bag and I used it to store my most used items. I kept that helpful bag on the table next to my bed and I used it all of the time because it is hard to get in and out of bed to retrieve items from my main bag.

God bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2004, 05:20 AM

Hi,

Thanks for posting. Lists that are quite similar to yours are available here on the site under the PreOp Hints and Articles and can be accessed from the drop down menu at the top of each page, and also on the home page. Here is the link: click here

I hope your recovery continues to go smoothly. We'll look for you castle story on the Story forum when you're up to writing it, and further recovery updates on the PostOp forum.

Best wishes.
Unread 12-08-2004, 03:05 PM

Thanks for posting what you felt helped you after surgery! I want to hear from people what actually worked for them.
Boneta
Sched. 12-21-04 TAH/BSO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2004, 07:30 PM

Great list! I printed it out so I can refer to it often in the next few weeks while preparing for the "Big Day". Thanks for taking the time to share your ideas and experience with us.
Unread 12-08-2004, 07:49 PM

Your list is just terrific. The best I have seen so far.
I too have printed it out and will be using it.
Thank you for giving back to those of us who are waiting in the wings.

Many Thanks
Cynthia

TLVH/BSO
12/15
Unread 12-09-2004, 12:26 AM

Hello.

I'm glad this was helpful. Yes, there are many other good lists on this wonderful website that have some of the same ideas and I read and reread them before my surgery. I'm a planner and a list maker. So, before my surgery, I had an insatiable appetite to read as many different lists as I could...that's why I wanted to post mine. It seems like on the pre-op board, there's at least one post per week asking for lists. Also, before my surgery, I wanted detailed explanations and suggestions too and I tried to provide that as well. This website has be so helpful to me...I want to do as much as I can now to help the ladies in waiting because I understand the uncertainty that comes with not yet having the surgery and the want to have everything "right" before surgery. I can now honestly say, that any and all preparations done before hand and the "little touches" really can make a difference to a more calm and restful recovery.

God bless.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register