Bruising after Supracervical and still in pain 3 weeks later | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bruising after Supracervical and still in pain 3 weeks later Bruising after Supracervical and still in pain 3 weeks later

Unread 10-22-2005, 07:18 PM
Bruising after Supracervical and still in pain 3 weeks later

HELP... I am still in pain 3 weeks after my laproscopic supracervical hysterectomy. I am trying to take myself off my pain medication slowly because I am running low but I am having a hard time doing so with the pain I am feeling. Is this normal? I ask because I have read that most women are up and moving days after the surgery. I have a bruise on my lower right hand side. When I am laying down it doesn't seem to bother me as much but getting up or down or even walking is painful. Just having underwear on over this area is painful when I am on my feet. It is almost like a burning sensation. I am also experiencing a pulling sensation at times on the same side. This area of my abodomin is sensitive to touch. I saw my doctor a few days after surgery and he said I should feel much better 7-10 days later. While I do feel better, I do not feel even close to 40% ... I cannot walk or stand for an extended period of time without holding my abdomin. The pain it so much at times that I cry. Is all this normal or should I be concerned? I truly feel like its a burning feeling .... help ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2005, 07:26 PM

I'm sorry to hear how much pain you are in. This doesn't sound like normal at all. I had the same surgery as you on 31 Aug and was up and about the next day. I didn't really get out to walking around outside until a week later. But since it has been three weeks, I would let your doctor know that something seems to be wrong. If nothing else, maybe he could at least give you a refill on your pain meds. Maybe someone else might be able to explain better than me. I hope you get to feeling better soon. Just give yourself some more time. Remember we all heal differently. Let me know how you are doing.

Val
Unread 10-22-2005, 07:43 PM

I agree with wolflover...it's time to give the doc a call.

It's unusual to be feeling this much pain at this point. But, try not to worry *too* much. The docs always say that the LSH is such a walk in the park. Usually, compared to the other types of hysts, it does hurt less and you recover more quickly. But, it *is* major sugery and some women recover faster from a TAH than an LSH. We all heal at different speeds. And *no* surgery is a walk in the park!

I hope that nothing is seriously wrong. I'm sorry you are hurting so much. I'm sure you weren't expecting this!

Call the doc and let us know what happens, OK?

Margot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2005, 08:43 PM

Hi ladybugsfortlh,

I'm sorry you are still having pain...I know how distressing that is! I also seemed to have more pain, and a slower recovery than some of the other LSH sisters. I had unsual nerve pain at my right hip incision. It was burning, searing, stabbing pain. The first few days I was home, I was unable to stand up for more than a few minutes at a time before I was overcome by the pain, and *had* to lay down. Like you, I had minimal discomfort if I was not moving. By one week post-op, I was a little better. It just *very* slowly went away, but it was 6 weeks before it was significantly diminished. I've been in contact with a few other sisters that had similar nerve pain post-op.

I agree with the others that it definitely seems wise to ask your doctor about all this. Don't hesitate to call! I had to go in at one week post-op for my pain, and felt much better afterwards with the reassurance I got. As the others said, we all heal so differently.

I'm sending best wishes, and hope you are feeling better soon! Take care, and let us know what you find out.
Unread 10-23-2005, 08:49 AM

Thank you both, so very much, for your replies.

And, in fairness to my doctor, he has said more than once that it is still "major surgery". He told me there were no complications during the operation. I do realize that my "insides" were manipulated but I guess from everything I had heard from him and others that I would be back to normal within two weeks at the very most. I was really starting to get worried this weekend after thinking about the weeks that had passed and yet I still didn't feel all that good.

Honestly, I just love my doctor ... he's really the best. I've been with him over 15 years. My hysterectomy was done due to the pain I had been suffering from endometreosis. I had surgery schedule back in the summer but my insurance company (at that time) said it was considered an "elective" surgery and would not pay for it. Now, how many women wake up one morning and say "hum, I think I want a hysterectomy". It just kills me that any insurance company is allowed to make such decisions regarding my quality of life.

Thank you again and I am SO SO very happy to have found this site. It's scary not to know what is considered normal or abnormal after surgery especially when this surgery is a one time only type surgery. I have had 4 laproscopic surgeries so I thought I would know what to expect with this... I was so wrong.

After I speak with my doctor, I will post an update.
Unread 10-23-2005, 09:30 AM

I like my doctor too, but he also made it seem like this surgery would be a walk in the park. He even said that it would be similar to my recovery from my tubiligation--HA!!. I wish he hadn't said those things because I think it encouraged me to do too much too soon. In his defense, he doesn't really know me well enough to know how his comments would effect me.

Hope you get some answers soon. Hopefully it's just your personal rate of recovery at work here. My rule of thumb is if the pain is bad enough to make you cry---take something for it! Good thoughts going out to you.
Unread 10-23-2005, 11:18 AM

I had my LSH oct 5th. My doc is left handed so all my bruising is on my left side and that is where i am still getting twinges etc. i accounted it to healing --as the first week i lived on only Motrin but now I take a pain pill at night. I will add that last week i had a bladder biopsy on day 12 which NOW i know was all too soon after the LSH as it set me back a week. I have been out, driving shopping for short periods of time since day 7...... my family never pampered me (the bums) LOL but this week I have just been resting and concentrating on healing.
HOWEVER i too believe a call to the doc for you is in order. I have bladder spasms which i thought were from the biopsy but i am reading posts from other girls sayin they have them too. As for your insurance company tell them next time you choose a surgery it will be a "lobotomy" ----but only for their CLAIMS PEOPLE!!!!

Feel better, Jean
Unread 10-23-2005, 11:26 AM

Hello there! I had my LSH on 10 October and I feel great. I have no bruising at all,and never had any, due to the fact that I took Arnica Montana And China Rubra (homeopathic remedies) 3 days before surgery and one week after. I'd recommend this to everyone, no matter what their type of hysterectomy, as it really helped a lot, plus I never had any gas pains. I went for my first walk outside the flat yesterday (up until now I've restricted myself to our roof terrace, as going up and down 5 flights of stairs to and from our flat seemed too much for me) and felt ok. I've been off pain medication for a week now, although sometimes I feel a bit of pulling and slight pain when I've been sitting in one position too long or standing too long. I think you should call your doctor as soon as you can - your pain and bruising don't sound normal. Take care and I hope you're feeling better soon.

Snooba

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register