Odd emotions, unexplained sadness | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Odd emotions, unexplained sadness Odd emotions, unexplained sadness

Unread 10-08-2013, 04:18 AM
Odd emotions, unexplained sadness

As I'm now in the 6th week, I'm feeling stronger and on weekends I've been able to move a little more without getting too tired like previous weeks such as going shopping. I feel less pain and have been able to get off the ibuprofen regimen and only take as needed.

My sleep is still wonky as hell. And I have these strange highs and lows. I'll get excited about something and then the next day I'll just be totally emotionally crashed.

Presently I'm just feeling really down, and well honestly I was looking at pictures of myself from summer. Now here's what is odd. I thought they were okay pictures before as in just like a day ago, but I look at them now and I feel like these pics I felt were fine a few days ago, just look ugly, and not nice at all. I even deleted one off my facebook just feeling embarrassed by it. Now how I would go from one extreme on a picture to the next? I don't know. I guess this is all just part of the hormone shifting, but I only had my uterus and tubes removed not the ovaries. So Im just feeling lost, and just over all strange. Like I'm thinking strangely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2013, 07:27 AM
Re: Odd emotions, unexplained sadness

Sorry to hear you are having these issues. I feel the ups and downs too. Sometimes I feel so depressed and then an hour later happy I am alive. Also I was up most the night last night. I did notice last week and week before I was eating better and had no issues. Slept well too. Over the weekend I had coffee and wine and my hormones were crazy. I have noticed this pattern for months now. I guess try to eat healty and watch uplifting movies. Read moving stories and stay positive. I know when I eat better I feel better. Fruit smoothies and such. I would say pamper yourself and don't worry so much about aging. Yesterday my teenage daughter was dying my gray roots and she said she couldn't handle growing old. She would be severly depressed. I had to be positive and tell her we still have a lot to life for and have to have a good attutide. We have a lot to offer and more love to give. And can grow old gracefully and grateful of blessings in our life.
Sending hugs your way.
Unread 10-08-2013, 12:00 PM

I am 7 weeks out and going thru the exact same thing. I haven't found anything to help but I am glad I am not the only one going thru this. I was starting to think I am going crazy. I am normally a very positive optimistic person so this is really off for me. I am hoping this will pass soon and I can get on with my normal happy life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2013, 12:17 PM

Hi all
I think that the theme running through all of this is loss. My husband doesn't quite 'get it' We never planned for kids, but I need to be able to work through the loss of my uterus, the loss of potential.

I have all sorts of art projects planned for my recovery, hoping to express myself that way, just too darn tired to get up and do them.

hugs to all. It really helps to read your stories...I have felt very alone through this despite the wonderful support of family and friends. you guys make me feel less alone.
Unread 10-09-2013, 06:09 AM

Thanks so much for sharing, and it's nice that a lot of us are having sim issues, just to be able to relate.

Bflydreams: hmm maybe some of it could be caffeine related, though I hate not having at least a little caffiene I love tea. I like your idea about watching happy shows and movies, that does help watching nice things. Oh man I gotta get the beautician myself, I feel so shagged and yucky, need my brows done and nice fresh trim of the hair and so forth. I've just been waiting for the strength to do these things.

shawnpaay: I'm hoping it passes soon too. What did the dr reccomend for you? Any medications to help with emotions? Though I was hoping to avoid that myself.

bleukricket: Yes i feel the same way, and sometimes when I'm reminded about not having kids, it's like I feel something missing in my belly and it doesn't feel good. i just feel empty
the stories and sharing here, does help a lot.
Unread 10-09-2013, 08:29 AM

I'm 7 weeks out and still can't get control of my crazy emotions lol I barely slept an hour last night which sucks! I have to talk to my dr next week about it since I'm going back to work 2 days a week starting Tuesday. As for the feeling of loss, I'm there too and I have 2 kids so you'd think id be very thankful and not be sad. I'm definitely thankful for my kiddies and hubby and I didn't want anymore, but I can seem to shake this feeling at all! I'm going to take some of the advice here though and try to watch and read uplifting things thanks for sharing!!
Unread 10-09-2013, 09:46 AM

Katelily- My doctor said things should settle down soon. It's just hormones. I think Bleukricket is right and a lot of it has to do with loss. I have 3 kids and am happy with that but having a 4th was always an option and now it's not. It's just a tough thing I think guys don't understand. I am just trying to stay positive and be around positive people. I wonder if some of it also is because we have all been isolated due to recovery and need more positive human interaction. I am glad I found this thread. I feel less crazy today than I did yesterday because I know I'm not alone
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:04 AM

I've had the blues too! I suffered with PMDD prior to having the hysterectomy so we took everything out and we are doing replacement therapy. I received 2 shots while in recovery and I am hoping they work. I have 4 kids and went through a horrible postpartum with my last child (who is now 2.5 yrs old) seems like I still can't shake it at times. It helps to know I'm not alone or losing my mind, I think my husband doesn't understand, I know my older kids don't get it, (my oldest who's 17 said yesterday, I thought this surgery was supposed to fix you, due to my crying constantly prior to surgery) My husband had the same thoughts too, I told them that recovery is hard and this isn't an easy transition. I'm only 8 days out. Hugs to you! I know this is hard, but with this site, I think we can all get through this together.
Unread 10-14-2013, 07:51 PM

I also have an unexplained feeling of gloom and doom, just a sadness that is hanging over me. I have gone back to work at 6 weeks and feeling tired but ok. Now i feel like i cannot get my hormones in check. I kept my ovaries so I was not expecting these feelings. Also I have had terrible nightmares of death and fights with loved ones. I am normally a upbeat person and full of energy. Now I have been going to bed so early. I really am happy my uterus is gone and endometriosis has been removed. It was years of pain so I am disappointed that I am mentally feeling this way. Thank you for posting, it is good to hear from other sisters.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register