Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Apr 24, 2016 - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Apr 24, 2016 Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Apr 24, 2016

Unread 04-24-2016, 06:22 PM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Apr 24, 2016

Hi! I am 31, have 3 kids 5 and under, and on the 28th they are taking everything but my ovaries abdominally. Where to start? Prior to kids I had terribly painful crampy periods. After having my first daughter (c section and then a D and C) the pain was gone but I had VERY heavy periods. Then along came DD2 and DS. (All c sections) After having my second daughter I noticed an occasional pain on my right side. Well back in January just after the first of the year my pain on my right side got much worse! And as my bladder would fill that would cause pain in the middle too. My PCP blew me off and said I just had a stomach virus. I knew that wasn't the case. A couple days later DH said I should go to the ER. First look with an ultrasound they thought my appendix ruptured. Then they had me do a CT. The CT showed that it was some sort of cyst not my appendix. The rude doc. In the ER insisted that I had a STI. I knew that wasn't the case. Finally they brought in my doctor. He said that he didn't think I had an STI but still some sort of infection. So they admitted me and gave me all kinds of crazy strong antibiotics for 3 days hoping it would shrink. It didn't. It got bigger. So they scheduled me to have a drain put in. Before the doctor put the drain in he took a syringe of the fluid. It was clear. So he didn't put in e drain. Since my doctor thought the cyst was on my tube he discharged me and scheduled me for a lap. to remove my tubes. Once he got in there he found lots of scar tissue. The "cyst" were actually more than one and just in the scar tissue. He said basically my whole right side is stuck together. Some of my bowel was stuck, he freed that. So he didn't remove my tubes. Once I healed up from that. (Man that gas they use for lap. Surgeries sucks!) my pain was much better with him lancing the fluid sacks and freeing what he could from the scar tissue. Right after scheduling my hyst I felt sad about it. What if 6 years from now or something we decide we want one more child. Granted DH is already fixed but still. When I voiced my concerns to him he was very sweet and said we will just adopt. I've had to wait 12 weeks for this surgery. The last couple weeks the pain has been returning. So in a way I'm very ready to get this ute out. The plan is to leave my ovaries and he hopes to be able to get my cervix too. Apparently I'm such a mess that he is having another doctor help him. He thinks the scar tissue is from my c sections. Last week I didn't like the idea of him taking my cervix but the more I researched it on here it has helped me come to terms with it. As of yesterday I have turned into an emotional mess. I'm stressed out about getting the house clean. I'm already getting depressed about being at the hospital alone. But at the same time when my husband comes up with the kids I get stressed out because they start getting into everything and he doesn't watch them. Then part of me wants to stay in the hospital as long as possible so that I can rest. Because as someone else mentioned they just don't understand that you can't/ aren't supposed to do ANYTHING. We also don't really have any family or anyone around to help me with the kids. Which is hard because we can't really afford my husband to take off 2 weeks from work. But the last thing I want to do is over do it and cause myself more scar tissue.
I think that covers it all. Kind of feels good to get it off my chest.
Good luck to all! Happy healing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melly80 View Post
Hi im 36 yrs old and having many issues leading me to a tah and removalal of tubes (keeping ovaries ) on 27th april...i have 3 children and wondering how to organise the household before i go into hospital...very nervous and j u st want to be organised before and for after op..any tips
It is good to have you join us. Organization will help you a lot in your recovery, both physically and emotionally. Some of the things that I did were: clothes all washed, meals made ahead, purchased healthy snacks and bottled water. It will be good to prepare your recovery spot with things like: phone charger, books, dvd's, pen and paper to keep track of taking your meds, crossword puzzles . . . those things that will help you through your recovery. And . . . of course, your tablet/computer so you can join us when you are up to it. .

On post #18 (page 2) ((sugarandspice)) has included a list of articles that will give you more information.

on your surgery dear . . . We will see you on the other side.
Unread 04-24-2016, 07:04 PM

Hi! I'm yet another Jen! I'm 40 and scheduled for excision of endometriosis and Davinci assisted Hysterectomy for adenomyosis on the 26th. I've been in total freak out mode for a few weeks now - but I've fully prepared for the worst recovery ever by stocking my freezer with easy to assemble crockpot meals, casseroles and the like, my house is clean and ready for me to "nest" for several weeks, and there really isn't any more I can do to be "ready". I'm hoping for a better recovery than I've prepared for though!

I've read every article I could get my hands on, and I know I'm going to have to take it easy and just play it by ear, but that doesn't seem to help the nerves too much. Last year I helped my mom through her own hysterectomy - her recovery was so easy compared to what I'm hearing about how it can be, so I'm hoping my recovery is more like hers was!

I used to be an avid runner and hiker and I've been constantly wondering if I picked the wrong time to recover from this kind of surgery. I wanted to complete my first marathon this year, but then I have to remind myself that the pain from the endo/adeno has made it virtually impossible to maintain any kind of training program/schedule so the sooner I get it done and behind me the better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2016, 07:05 PM

Ladies. Pre-op can be a very difficult time for many women. The waiting and wondering about the unknowns of surgery can be very nerve wracking . Just remember you aren't alone in what you are going through. The feelings you are experiencing and the things you are wondering about are common and there are other Sisters having the same feelings and wondering about the same things .

Staying busy will help with the nerves. I had so much going on getting ready for surgery, I didn't have time to get nervous. I also had several people praying for me and that was very comforting as I knew I was in good hands. So if you find your nerves getting the better of you, try not to focus on all the "what ifs". Instead try to find something to distract yourself...maybe some fun activity you enjoy doing; or some special treat for yourself; or reading to your little ones; or playing games with your kids (including the fuzzy, four-legged ones); or just spending time with your family; or finishing any last minute preparations; or thinking about how wonderful it will be to wear light colors anytime you want, being able to wear pretty panties without worrying that they'll be ruined, being able to go on a vacation when you want to without trying to plan one around that time of the month, not having a vacation disrupted by that time of the month, not having to map out the location of all the bathrooms when you go on an outing; or by planning some fun trip once you are recovered; or ...._______________(you fill in the blank).

Ladies, you can do this! Before you know it surgery will be over and you will be beginning your recovery journey.

for your surgery and a quick, uneventful recovery.
Unread 04-24-2016, 07:34 PM

Hi everyone. I am 50 and am having a total hysterectomy on Tues for a large fibroid. I'm hoping that it will be laproscopic but my physician said she may have to do it the traditional way because of its location and size. I'm anxious about how bad the pain may be afterwards. I'm also nervous because as soon as I'm healed up enough I'm going in for a breast biopsy for an abnormal mammogram. Good luck to everyone! Soon we will be on our way to healing up!!
Unread 04-24-2016, 08:19 PM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Apr 24, 2016

Hello, I am Jennifer and will have my LAVH Tuesday. Pretty nervous
Unread 04-24-2016, 08:39 PM

I am Ruth, 55 yrs old, scheduled for Wednesday April27, TAH. Been very busy with family and friends and making preparations. Have concerns about surgical menopause and if hormone replacement is an option for me since uterine cancer diagnosis. Staying positive in the meantime and going to work Monday & Tuesday!!
Unread 04-24-2016, 08:46 PM

:arm hugs:
There seem to be a lot of Jennifer's have surgery this week!! I am schedule to have a Da Vinci hyesterectomy tomorrow morning and I am freaking out. With having two uterus and two cervix my dr is not sure if she we'll be able to complete the surgery with the Di Vanci and we will most likely be switch to an abdominal hysterectomy.
Unread 04-24-2016, 08:51 PM

Hi. My name is Lisa. I am 44 yrs old, married, no children. I am scheduled for my hysterectomy on Tuesday. I have had major pain issues for the past year and it has taken this long for the docs to figure out it was gynecological.
I am looking forward to being pain free, but I am very scared of possible complications and the affects of having both ovaries removed. I am learning a lot from this website, as it seems that my doctor has told me next to nothing when it comes to pre & post op. Thanks for being here.
Unread 04-24-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh1973 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm Niamh (pronounced Neve) - I'm 43.
My hystercomy is 27th - Da Vinci Laprocsopic - nerves haven't set in yet.
I have endometriosis, fibroids and cysts on my right ovary. I had my left ovary removed last Sept - but the bleeding & pain never went away. Even when I was put on the Lupron Depot shot.
So, I'm ready for this! Bring it on! (Nerves say otherwise lol)
Niamh1973. Your issues sound similar to what mine were prior to surgery. Last June I had a diagnostic laporoscopy, D&C, and Hysteroscopy. I suspected I had Endometriosis for years but it was never confirmed until surgery. It turns out I had Stage 4 Endometriosis with heavy bowel involvement. My cervix was adhered to my rectum. I had a DaVinci assisted TLH/BSO and excision of Endometriosis. My doctor insisted that I do a six month course of Lupron prior to my hysterectomy. Lupron helped with my pain, but I continued to have spotting right up until surgery. My pathology report showed multiple Ovarian cysts that I didn't know about pre-op. Like you, I was very ready to have surgery. I'm wishing you the best of luck!

Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register