Help! My PreOp Apt. is April 8 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help!  My PreOp Apt. is April 8 Help! My PreOp Apt. is April 8

Unread 03-13-2002, 08:39 PM
Help! My PreOp Apt. is April 8

Hi! I'm new to all this I feel hyster-ical. Don't know what I'm doing because I have never been on a message board or in a chat room. I am 48 years old, have a couple large fibroids, large cyst on my left ovary and possible adenomyosis. I look like I am 12 weeks pregnant, have to pee all the time but can barely go #2, not to mention daily pain and crazy periods. 2 male doctors have said I'm a good candidate for what is it ? lapvh or vaginal hysterectomy with laproscopic assist. They seem to be capable doctors, but they are men after all. They don't have uteruses (or is it spelled uteri), cervixes or ovaries, and both suggest that everything be taken out. Ladies, Please feel free to advise me on things like should I ask if I can keep an ovary, what things you may wish you asked the doctor before surgery, what your recovery time was like. 3 days in a hospital, a week on pain medication and 6 weeks recovery doesn't seem like it will cover my healing. And also, is there anything else you think I might need to know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2002, 10:36 PM

Let me see if I can help answer some questions a wee bit and then I'm sure my sisters will come help also.

Quote:
Ladies, Please feel free to advise me on things like should I ask if I can keep an ovary,
I would ask if they want to remove the ovary that doesn't have the cysts- WHY? If you are not wanting the other one removed "just because"- then say so... and ask them to tell you WHY they want to remove the one with no cysts. I, personally, would not want my ovaries removed unless there was a valid reason for doing so- for BOTH of them. Not just removing both since one has a cyst(s). I know some people just want it all out and sometimes that depends on the type of problems they are having. But I'm of the notion that if it ain't got a problem- leave it in there. hehe But that's just me.

Quote:
what things you may wish you asked the doctor before surgery,
Hmmm, the only things I can think of that I didn't ask (because I asked everything I could think of and I didn't find this site (unfortunately) until 3 days after my surgery- would be to ask about having a tummy tuck at the same time LOL (stomach is stretched out with lots of loose skin from previous pregnancies that got huge with polyhydramnios). I've heard of others having that at the same time and I'm jealous now. LOL And... asking about working on perineum since I've had problems with that since I had the episiotomy with my 2nd (of 3) child. Now he's saying he could have worked on this if he'd known it was bothering me. I wish I'd seen this site before the surgery so I'd even know that was possible and would have mentioned it.

Quote:
what your recovery time was like. 3 days in a hospital, a week on pain medication and 6 weeks recovery doesn't seem like it will cover my healing.
Everyone is different. For me I had a TVH and was out of the hospital that night- but I know that is not the norm. However, I still had to take pain meds from time to time up to 3wks after and I know others on this website have mentioned taking them even longer here and there for pain. So if you might want to talk to your dr and find out if he's ADAMENT about pain meds only allowed for one week. Also 6wks is the preliminary healing... it doesn't mean you are completely healed. Many on this site as well as some OB/gyns say that the healing process continues to some degree long after the initial 6wks healing- for 6mo up to a year to be COMPLETELY healed. So don't expect yourself to be completely healed at 6wks- that is not possible for everyone (or anyone???)

Quote:
And also, is there anything else you think I might need to know?
Oh I asked everything- how he would do the surgery, how long surgery would take, what kind of anesthesia they would use, what my options on that were, what kind of pain meds allowed afterwards, etc etc. If I think of any other questions that are important to ask that you or anyone else that posts on this thread haven't already mentioned soon- I'll be sure to post again.

{{hugs}}
Unread 03-14-2002, 12:24 AM

WELCOME i AM SO GLAD THAT YOU FOUND US!
Well yes there will be so much going on for you right now and after having been where you are, I can say that I understand. Believe me when I say that waiting is definately the hardest part. Now as for your questions, use all the pull down menus here and please try to come into the chat room, it will not take long to get the gist of it and there are some very supportive and wonderful sisters there, also it is a place to find a shoulder a hug or a laugh to brighten your day.
Ask your DR also anything that you want to know. As for the ovary thing I would ask for their opinions as to why they want to remove the ovaries etc.
I had a LAVH/RSO and major bladder repair last Sept. i now am feeling wonderful. You must give yourself the 6 to 8 weeks to really recover and get over it. Some heal quickly and some not so fast just remember that we all heal at our own rates. As for having the hyst LAVH I am so glad that my surgeon did it this way. I only had three tiny incision marks tht faded real fast. It is truely a great way to have a hyst and I would choose the same again.
Good luck hun and remember any concerns or questions then post and there will always be someone to come and help. Keep us posted. Hugs Vicki AKA Smilie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2002, 07:24 AM

Hi & welcome to Hystersisters!

Each of us heals differently, so I can only tell you about my experience. I had a LAVH (laparascopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy) and was very pleased with it.

Nights spent in castle: Dr had said I could go home the next day if I was doing no less than perfect. But I had a 101.7 temp and had to spend another night. Worked out for the best anyway because I realized how weak I really was once the IV and cath were removed & I started getting up to walk.

Pain meds: I was given a script that would have lasted a few weeks even if taken as much as allowed. However, by the 2nd day home, I realized I really didn't need them and could do just fine with Advil instead. Really didn't even take that but a couple of times. I was really surprised that I wasn't in any real pain except in recovery & I think being on the stretcher caused me to feel that. I was just thinking the pain meds were working really great until I quit taking them and saw there was no pain (just a little discomfort at times). There were a couple of times later on - at 2 weeks & at 3 weeks - when the stitches started dissolving, causing extra discomfort that I took one of my pain pills.

Recovery: I haven't worked for about a year, so I didn't have to worry about how long to take from there. I would say that 6 weeks for most people is a good idea. Some need less & some need more. Even though I wouldn't have needed it for actual pain, I would have because of energy level. I would find that at about 3-5 weeks if I felt energetic & had a real busy day (and not busy compared to my pre days), I would be exhausted the next day. Not really sleepy, but just my body felt drained.
Unread 03-14-2002, 07:57 AM
Be specific

I just wanted to add about what Shellbelle said about informing dr. before surgery and write down all your concerns. I mentioned I was having trouble emptying my bladder (kind of expected with an enlarged uterus anyway) and dr. didn't seem to take notice but then when I was specific (said I had to change positions to empty) his eyes lightened up and said well if it was that I would have to consult a urologist. That takes time and if additional surgery is needed the two surgeons would have to schedule together. I even posted on here about it and they said to speak up about whatever I was concerned about no matter how embarrasing. https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...+bladder+empty Although I didn't need any additional repairs during the surgery he took care of one thing in the office so glad I went in.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register