Upcoming hysterectomy 9/8: Weight loss after surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 9/8: Weight loss after surgery? Upcoming hysterectomy 9/8: Weight loss after surgery?

Unread 08-26-2015, 07:59 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 9/8: Weight loss after surgery?

I struggle so hard with my weight right now and I'm scared it's only going to get worse after surgery. I have adenomyosis. I'm about 70lbs over weight. I work out and eat very healthy. I get muscle tone somewhat but can't seem lose weight. I just keep trying but it's so hard because I'm tired all the time. I'm hoping that after I heal my energy will improve but all I keep reading is after surgery expect to gain 25lbs. Is that true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2015, 08:45 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 9/8: Weight loss after surgery?

Weight gain after a hysterectomy isn't always a "done deal", and because you already eat right and exercise, you have that on your side. Firstly, don't worry about the first few weeks, because you will gain some water weight, which will quickly come off. Secondly, you didn't mention if you're having your ovaries removed, but if you are, the hormonal changes will lower your metabolism. To counteract this, add strength training to your exercise program, as soon as you're cleared to do so, and consult with a personal trainer to develop a plan that will work for you. Thirdly, and most importantly, one time-honored strategy for successful weight management is to keep a food diary. This will give you a clear picture of your current eating habits, and help you to identify where you can make changes to achieve and maintain a healthy body weight after your surgery, and for many years to come. Best wishes for everything!
Unread 08-26-2015, 10:47 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 9/8: Weight loss after surgery?

I am 11 weeks post op and have lost 25 lbs. I had stage 4 endo and adenomyosis, as well. I think the tumors were a big factor in my being overweight. Starting from the first day after surgery your medical team will encourage you to walk and tell you that walking everyday is a tremendous factor in recovery. I have just kept that going even after I felt normal again. I walk 30 mins a day twice a day. Also, I am eating high protein/low carb meals. I'm not taking my health for granted anymore. The lbs have steadily been falling off! Take this life changing experience as a second chance at good health. You will lose weight too if you treat your recovery as journey to a healthier you! Best wishes! Hugs! 💞

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register