Why aren't baths allowed? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why aren't baths allowed? Why aren't baths allowed?

Unread 01-22-2013, 06:02 PM
Why aren't baths allowed?

My doctor Ok'd me for taking a bath just a few days after surgery, but I'm wondering why most doctors don't allow it for several weeks. I've been reluctant to take one for fear it might do some harm - but I'm just not sure what or how. I had a Da Vinci and kept my cervix. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2013, 06:12 PM
Re: Why aren't baths allowed?

I also had daVinci. Have my cervix - no baths. No lifting. No sex 8weeks because I needed a second set of cervix stitches at 3.5 weeks. I'd err on cautious and not take a bath.
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:14 PM

Hello. I had a DVH/BSO and my Dr said no baths until my 4 week appointment. She explained it is a precaution as you are still healing. She likes to make sure nothing will go up into the vaginal area that may result in an infection or inhibit healing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2013, 06:30 AM

thanks for the info! I'm desperate to take a bath but would rather err on the side of caution. Not sure why my doc had no problem with a bath almost right away (and I feel silly calling just to ask that question - maybe next time I go in for a visit).
Unread 01-23-2013, 08:22 AM

I had a TAH and was cleared to have baths as soon as I got home. The nurse said just don't use detergent and don't sit in it too long in case your incision gets soggy. I decided not to have one for a while as I was more worried about hurting my tummy getting in and out the tub.

Some people are told not to bath for fear of getting "dirty" water up there and causing an infection. I guess this would be less of a concern if you kept your cervix.

I must say, the first bath I had was absolute heaven!!
Unread 01-26-2013, 12:15 AM

I had a TAH, and my doctor said baths were ok after the first week. And I didn't have to ever cover up my incision, even for a shower. I still tried to keep my stitches out of the water, just in case. But I love baths so much more than showers. I also used the blow dryer after, to make sure the stitches are totally dry after. And the bath was so comforting after I'd been feeling yucky. If the doctor says you can, then do it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register